Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
ThomePCF.jpg

Awesome card!!

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Good way to finish off 2014. A big thanks to gradedeflator for assisting in getting this private transaction started. If time permits I may make a thread with pertinent backstory with theories about how these two cards exist...

IMG_20141228_130844516_zps7f2d3308.jpg

IMG_20141228_130904797_zps47f932c4.jpg

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Good way to finish off 2014. A big thanks to gradedeflator for assisting in getting this private transaction started. If time permits I may make a thread with pertinent backstory with theories about how these two cards exist...

That's disappointing. It makes me doubt all 1/1s within the brand. So what 1/1s do we know are not true 1/1s? I already knew about Sports Illustrated and Score. Now add Ultra. I've always wondered about Flair.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
That's disappointing. It makes me doubt all 1/1s within the brand. So what 1/1s do we know are not true 1/1s? I already knew about Sports Illustrated and Score. Now add Ultra. I've always wondered about Flair.
I agree. I own a few real 1/1s of my players that have been in my collection for years. Most are in raw form. Not that I have to but how am I able to prove mine are the real deal. Even slabbed you can't prove how many of these are out there.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country

i may be wrong (and if i am , by all means please let me know) , but i THINK the one pictured on the left is the "real" one.....not sure where i read/heard it , but i seem to recall someone talking about the 2nd version (backdoored/counterfeit/whatever - i won't get into that) being distinguishable by the font in the line "the only 1 of 1 masterpiece edition".....if i recall correctly , they said it was easily noticed in the word "only" and the "m" in "masterpiece" , but i think it's more easily seen in the "e" of "edition".....the one n the left has a nice clean crisp font while the one on the right appears to be a bit offset on the middle hash and not quite complete at the bottom left corner.....am i wrong ? is the better quality version the "faux 1/1" ? or is there really any way to distinguish them ?

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
i may be wrong (and if i am , by all means please let me know) , but i THINK the one pictured on the left is the "real" one.....not sure where i read/heard it , but i seem to recall someone talking about the 2nd version (backdoored/counterfeit/whatever - i won't get into that) being distinguishable by the font in the line "the only 1 of 1 masterpiece edition".....if i recall correctly , they said it was easily noticed in the word "only" and the "m" in "masterpiece" , but i think it's more easily seen in the "e" of "edition".....the one n the left has a nice clean crisp font while the one on the right appears to be a bit offset on the middle hash and not quite complete at the bottom left corner.....am i wrong ? is the better quality version the "faux 1/1" ? or is there really any way to distinguish them ?

The "strike" of the font is slightly less clean in most, but not all, of the letters, the version on the right. I would say it is far less variation than I have seen in legitimate foil serial # "strikes" in other 90s issues. I suspect that both were serial numbered the same way within the Fleer factory, for whatever that is worth. The 1s are exactly the same font and steike on both.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
following basketball auctions i have come across a card very similar to the one on the right... i believe it is fake and the left is real. the card below i had come across in the past and at the time i thought it was legit even though the font had some striking flaws to the font (weak dot over the i, last E in MASTERPIECE O in EDITION.) this card was sold along with about 6 or so others, all having varying font "bleeding" issues. i looked up each card and noticed all were sent in at the same time and all were varied in grading (the one below in particular was a 7.5) soon after i came to read that there were indeed known fleer ultra uncut sheets that were out there. there is no doubt after the research and now seeing the photos above along with other ultra masterpieces as well as other fleer masterpiece cards that the card on the right and the card below are fakes. obviously there is no definitive proof but i figured i would just add some more info from my own personal research.

462_30_1.jpg

Last edited:

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed (only up to page 575 of this awesome thread), but does anyone know whether or not the 1995 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle inserts also have a variation with the dufex finish on BOTH sides? Baseballcardpedia says this...

[h=3]Team Pinnacle[/h]This nine-card set showcases Pinnacle's picks for the game's top players -- an American Leaguer on the front, and a National Leaguer on the back. All cards were intentionally issued with two variations, whereby one side of the card or the other had the Dufex effect.
TP1 G. Maddux/M. Mussina
TP2 M. Piazza/C. Delgado
TP3 F. Thomas/J. Bagwell
TP4 R. Alomar/C. Biggio
TP5 C. Ripken/O. Smith
TP6 T. Fryman/M. Williams
TP7 K. Griffey/B. Bonds
TP8 A. Belle/D. Justice
TP9 T. Gwynn/K. Puckett

...however, I've heard rumors in the past that dual dufex variations may exist. Can anyone confirm that? Don't want to be chasing a ghost.

Jan 14, 2009
Did anyone here win a 1998 Topps Stars Supernovas Brad Fullmer /5? It sold in November on ebay for $5+ (!!!) Or does anyone have a way of finding out who won it?

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Nice grab on that Lofton, believe I was runner up. No "Starquest" in the title if I recall.

Nope, no mention of "Starquest." I found it with a generic "1998 100 home run" search.

I was expecting it to go for more. I think there's a Lofton collector on here that still needs a copy.

Members online

Latest posts