Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Max Scherzer Signs a 7-Year $210M Deal With the Nationals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
scherzer likely to have deal with a team soon. nats, 1 other believed in mix. [MENTION=10765]chris[/MENTION]Cotillo said he'll likely end up a nat

Wonder who the 'other' team is. Heyman also says it's likely to be a 7-year deal.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi #Nats have been talking with "multiple" teams on Jordan Zimmermann trade possibilities over past few weeks, sources say.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Yeah, ive known about the Zimm talks. I'll be pissed if they trade him. Id rather them move Gio but having an all right handed rotation is probably not the best idea.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yeah, ive known about the Zimm talks. I'll be pissed if they trade him. Id rather them move Gio but having an all right handed rotation is probably not the best idea.

Get this.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Yes, #Nats are willing to trade Stephen Strasburg if they don't get acceptable offer for Zimmermann (in event they land Scherzer).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
Per a source, Max Scherzer to the Nats is "very close." Not finished yet.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors
. @barrysvrluga of the Washington Post writes that the Nationals' deal with Max Scherzer is close but will not be completed tonight.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Done deal, according to multiple sources.

And btw:

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
Early word I am hearing is #Nationals plan is to keep Zimmermann, have super rotation and go for it in 2015

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
It's even more lucrative than we thought.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Max Scherzer's deal is $210 million for seven year. Half is deferred: $105M from 2015-21, $105M from 2022-28.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Wow, that just seems like a lot for Scherzer. Yeah, he's been good the last couple of years, but for 7 years I don't see this working out too well

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Good for Max.

He's totally more than set for life. Smart business decision on his part to have half deferred.

I'm glad it's not the Cardinals strapped with this contract.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
What a sh** deal for the Nats. Can't imagine anyone liking this. No way is Scherzer worth close to that amount.

I agree with this. I understand the whole idea of Capitalism is you're worth what someone is willing to pay for you, but if I'm a Nats fan, I'm puking. An average of 30 million per year for a soon to be 31 year old pitcher with a few good years? No thanks. Yes, Scherzer is a Cy Young award winner, but so is King Felix and Verlander. Their contracts aren't nearly as close to this. Heck, Lester is one of the best postseason pitchers of our generation and he couldn't sniff close that amount. The Nats will receive a few good years out of this contract, but I smell a huge disaster coming on.

Members online