Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dodgers close to signing Grienke...6 years/$145 mil!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
+1 Mattingly will be in for it if this All Star team doesn't go 162-0 and win a World Series.

Glad the Rangers lost the Grienke sweepstakes. Now sign Hamilton and trade for Upton and one of the DBacks pitchers or go get one of Tampa's starting five.

I though Grienke was overrated and because of lack other free agents is getting alot more money than his skills deserve. Nolan was big on his mechanics though so he must have something some of us don't see.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
That is a ridiculous amount of money for Greinke. He's a great pitcher, but not THAT great. He definately benefited from being part of a weak free agent class. It somewhat screws the other teams out there because now the pitchers that are left are going to be looking for more as well

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
LA will eat this kid alive. I don't see him finishing this contract after he has several nervous break downs.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
What I think is being overlooked is that the increased competition and demand for content (highlighted by rising cost of television rights) has almost overnight dramatically increased the value of a baseball player due to the increase in revenue generation (at the very least this is what Dodger ownership believes.) It remains to be seen if the Dodgers ownership miscalculated in their valuation, but if they did not, I think this could end up being less about the Dodgers overpaying and more about the "new normal." Of course whether other teams follow suit may depend on how well things work out, when their current media contracts expire and what happens over time to labor negotiations etc.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
LA will eat this kid alive. I don't see him finishing this contract after he has several nervous break downs.

Could this card be more overplayed? When was his last nervous breakdown? It was definitely before his Cy Young season in KC.

bigbov

Jun 26, 2012
Minoa, NY
Happy to have him as #2 but obv overpaid for him. Personally was hoping they would work out the deal for Shields. I wonder what it is going to cost to keep Kershaw now??

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
That money is stupid for a pitcher like Grienke........I can't see him ever commanding that much money. The Dodgers are being silly on this pick-up

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
That is a ridiculous amount of money for Greinke. He's a great pitcher, but not THAT great. He definately benefited from being part of a weak free agent class. It somewhat screws the other teams out there because now the pitchers that are left are going to be looking for more as well
That's it right there.

Several hundred thousand/start....crazy! And that's assuming he pitches every 5th day. He'll be making more money per pitch then most of us make in a few months, lol.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Happy to have him as #2 but obv overpaid for him. Personally was hoping they would work out the deal for Shields. I wonder what it is going to cost to keep Kershaw now??
Who knows if they will be able to keep him now??...2015 can't come soon enough:cool:

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
What I think is being overlooked is that the increased competition and demand for content (highlighted by rising cost of television rights) has almost overnight dramatically increased the value of a baseball player due to the increase in revenue generation (at the very least this is what Dodger ownership believes.) It remains to be seen if the Dodgers ownership miscalculated in their valuation, but if they did not, I think this could end up being less about the Dodgers overpaying and more about the "new normal." Of course whether other teams follow suit may depend on how well things work out, when their current media contracts expire and what happens over time to labor negotiations etc.

The new norm for big market teams, which will now put the small markets at an even greater disadvantage. The lack of a cap is one of the few things I hate about the MLB.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I think you guys are getting way too wrapped up in the dollars. Players arent paid exactly what they're worth. Get over it.

The interesting thing here is how well Greinke might transition to the NL West in a pitchers park, while never having to face a #1 starter again.

Kershaw & Greinke are gonna rack up some serious numbers, should be interesting to watch.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think you guys are getting way too wrapped up in the dollars. Players arent paid exactly what they're worth. Get over it.

The interesting thing here is how well Greinke might transition to the NL West in a pitchers park, while never having to face a #1 starter again.

Kershaw & Greinke are gonna rack up some serious numbers, should be interesting to watch.

Well to be fair, if Lincecum gets back to the way he used to be and the Giants have Cain...the Giants vs. Dodgers should be extraordinary again.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The new norm for big market teams, which will now put the small markets at an even greater disadvantage. The lack of a cap is one of the few things I hate about the MLB.

Over time this may be the thing that pushes MLB to adopt a new system. Of course the success of a team like Tampa is always pointed to try to argue that there is still parity.

Members online

Latest posts