Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Former #1 Draft Pick Matt Bush sentenced to 3 years in prison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN.com

Former No. 1 draft pick Matt Bush has agreed to a plea bargain in his DUI hit-and-run case that includes a prison sentence of at least three years on top of time already served, his father has told the Tampa Bay Times.

"He's taking it pretty good," Daniel Bush said, according to the newspaper. "He's not crying or sulking. He's preparing for it. Everybody in our family is backing him up."

The former Tampa Bay Rays minor league pitcher has reportedly been held on a $440,000 bond since March in Charlotte County on Florida's lower Gulf Coast on seven charges, counts that include leaving the scene of an accident that seriously injured a motorcyclist.
Court records also showed Bush was driving with a suspended license. The Florida Highway Patrol said Bush kept driving after hitting a motorcycle, whose rider was hospitalized for weeks with numerous serious injuries.

"Literally, the tire on the SUV ran over the driver's head," a witness told WBBH-TV in Fort Myers. "Without the helmet, the gentleman would have been dead instantly."

Bush, the first pick in the 2004 draft by the San Diego Padres as a shortstop, had problems from the start of his career. He got a $3.15 million signing bonus but was suspended that summer after getting in a fight outside an Arizona bar.

He also was involved in another drinking-related incident before the Padres dealt him to the Toronto Blue Jays in 2009.

The Rays signed him to a free-agent deal before the 2010 season.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
What a clown. I had the opportunity to scout him while with the Angels, actually scouted Bush's team vs Trumbo's team which was pretty cool. I was with a few of the most senior scouts on the Angels staff, and we were all in agreeance that the kid would never hit in the bigs. His swing had Multiple "pieces to it" and zero fluidity. The cross checker who was with us actually said that he could sign an international kid with the same fielding ability/arm with hopes of hitting for $15,000, why draft Matt Bush in the 1st round. Pretty interesting stuff. I am damn glad the Angels grabbed Weaver that draft! Oh, and Adenhart and Trumbo!

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was with a few of the most senior scouts on the Angels staff, and we were all in agreeance that the kid would never hit in the bigs.
Why was Bush picked #1 overall anyway? Every baseball expert thought that was a horrible choice to waste the pick on him. It made absolutely no sense.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Why was Bush picked #1 overall anyway? Every baseball expert thought that was a horrible choice to waste the pick on him. It made absolutely no sense.

It was a complete shocker. The $$ demands of Drew, Weaver, Sowers threw a monkey wrench into the whole draft, and caused a large shake up in the early morning of draft day. Out of know where, we got word the Padres were likely taking Bush, and there was legit shot of Weaver dropping all the way to us. So an emergency meeting took place between Bill Stoneman and Arte Moreno to get clearance to spend the cash on Weaver. Pretty awesome stuff to watch.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California

Because John Moores is a scum bag cheap skate.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts