Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trying to complete 1998 donruss preferred precious metals set (help needed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Hello,

i am new to this site but have been trying really hard to complete this set and could really use one help.
I am constantly searching for different avenues to complete it and in doing an online search found this site. I hope someone on here may be able to help. I currently have 25 of the 30. I just picked up Kenny Lofton. Below the pictures of the ones i do have are the ones I still need and around what I would pay for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to complete this. If this isn't the right sub forum please let me know. Thanks Rob

Precious Metals Platinum Mike Piazza
Precious Metals Platinum Chipper Jones
Precious Metals Gold Derrek Jeter
Precious Metals Gold Ben Grieve
Precious Metals Gold Travis Lee

Last edited:

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Nice. I have 2-3 of the Erstad's. Was Eddie Murray in this set? I swear I have one... maybe I'm thinking of something else.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Yeah. Just picked the Erstad late last year. The Murray Precious metal silver is in the 97 preferred set.
This thing is a you know what to complete. Killing me. Although being over 50 percent done is a nice feeling.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
I have the Jeter, but unfortunately its not for sale/trade. Good luck completing the set. I'm sure they'll look beautiful together.

Jeter98PreciousMetalsGold.jpg

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Got a sealed box looking at me, anyone know approx what the odds are of finding one of these?

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Great card on the Jeter. That thing is sweet, just missed one on ebay about two months ago. Sold for 200. Truly frustrating and such a good price.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
No knowledge on the odds. They don't list them, but I will say this, I have opened 6 boxes of 98 baseball and got one, and someone on another forum opened 6 and got none. Very tough to pull, but when you pull one, it is in a penny sleeve inside the cellophane pack between the other cards, so it is exciting because you know you have one but not which one.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
This post made me laugh. For some reason my mind went to "Alternative Lifestyle Frank Thomas Collecting Community."

OP, good luck on your set. Cards look awesome.

Don't all players have their own player collector club house, **** cloths, and secret handshake? I feel awkward now.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
This post made me laugh. For some reason my mind went to "Alternative Lifestyle Frank Thomas Collecting Community."

*gasp*

Bite your tongue!!!

No knowledge on the odds. They don't list them, but I will say this, I have opened 6 boxes of 98 baseball and got one, and someone on another forum opened 6 and got none. Very tough to pull, but when you pull one, it is in a penny sleeve inside the cellophane pack between the other cards, so it is exciting because you know you have one but not which one.

Can't remember if I made you aware or not (stinks getting old) but that Erstad gold was just a few weeks removed from it's original packaging when I sold it to you. I pulled it from a 22 loose tin purchase. It was such a rush seeing that penny sleeve peeking out of the pack. I knew I had beaten the odds that day but *holy cow* twelve boxes yielding 1 PM...

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
*gasp*

Bite your tongue!!!

Can't remember if I made you aware or not (stinks getting old) but that Erstad gold was just a few weeks removed from it's original packaging when I sold it to you. I pulled it from a 22 loose tin purchase. It was such a rush seeing that penny sleeve peeking out of the pack. I knew I had beaten the odds that day but *holy cow* twelve boxes yielding 1 PM...

That is awesome, one in 22 loose packs is beyond amazing. And one i needed, equally amazing ;). i have opened 16 boxes between 98 BB and 99 FB. I have pulled two... One from 98 baseball. The Bagwell in the picture.. Pulled it last year, and a 97 Aikman football, I had a huge rush too when I saw that little "penny" sleeve. I jumped around for 10 minutes before I had my wife open it. Scared I was going to drop the pack. LOL

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I was so tempted to open my sealed gold griffey box last night.

But decided to list it instead, see if I get an offer I like.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I think if you get an offer you like it will pay off to sell because unless you get a Precious metals, you will get more with the sealed box. I have a hard time spending to much on those boxes because they are such a tough pull. But man they are fun to open.. :). i just want to you to bust it so maybe just maybe you pull one i need and MIGHT be willing to sell it to me. haha. Good luck with the sale though, it is a great looking box.

I was so tempted to open my sealed gold griffey box last night.

But decided to list it instead, see if I get an offer I like.

Members online

Latest posts