Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recycling of a 90s inserts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I dont know about you, but Game Used, autos, and $900 packs are getting a bit stale. I would like to see Topps re-introduce games/inserts of chance into packs. Remember the "You Crash the Game" inserts (I know not a Topps insert)? Or how about 1993-1994 Topps Black Gold? It would be fun to pull a "If Mike Trout hits a HR on 19 Aug you win a insert #/10." Packed out inserts could be plenty but with say only 10 Player X, Hits HR on Day Y type cards.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I totally agree with your first sentence. Unless the item is truly unique then everything is just running together as same old stuff. With your second part, my concern is that people may not care (because of the way the internet is) about the actual redemption card, but may just wait until they are redeemed and aquire the card that comes back. I could be wrong, just not sure. But I'd say any change to go back and/or mix then with now in the products would be a welcome change.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I wish that the packs today would have inserts that were as tough to pull as they used to be. Not parallel cards but true inserts. When every single pack you open has an "insert" that are all about as common as the base cards they lose much of their appeal to me. I remember in the late 90's I bought a blaster at target of 1997 fleer Ultra. In ONE pack were three starring role cards stuck together. (Griffey Jr, Jeter and Piazza) I about fell out of my car. Those things fell 1:288 packs and I pulled three in one pack :eek: Pulling a rare insert in the 90's was always so much more gratifying. Now even when you pull an auto it is 99% of the time laughable. Just my opinion.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I agree so much, the trick would be creating actual rarity. So hard to do when consumers are used to x hits per box.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO ONE PLUS using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I still think they could do it. I understand the I want X-hits per box mentality , but give us a unique rare insert set that people will chase. I would prefer a $30-$40 box with a rare chance at hitting one really nice rare insert than a $900 box with 10 Hits of soon to be ex players. I think that people would love something like that.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
This is a gripe I've had with the hobby for years. Like George_Calfas, I miss the '90's method and style of inserts. But, like cligmo, I completely understand how the hobby is today and that a large majority of buyers are only interested in the hits (AU/GU/Superfractor/etc.) and that unless a card features similar characteristics, I'm not convinced that a '90's-type product will be well received in today's market. I truly wish we'd go back to a simpler time with standard-sized thickness baseball cards and fun games like YCTG because that was when I had the most fun as a collector.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Stadium Club has kept the rare inserts going for the past few years - Gold Beam Team, Gold ISO Metrics, and Triumvirate Illuminators are all 1 per case pulls. Problem is there's no serial #s on them to show true scarcity, it's all perceived scarcity.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Stadium Club has kept the rare inserts going for the past few years - Gold Beam Team, Gold ISO Metrics, and Triumvirate Illuminators are all 1 per case pulls. Problem is there's no serial #s on them to show true scarcity, it's all perceived scarcity.
I hate the "case hit" without a serial number. You said it perfectly

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I enjoy non-GU, non-auto cards because they don't require redemptions. Bring back whatever favorite inserts and make new ones. Cheaper that way, too. While lots of people would say you can't sell a set without a major hit anymore, I think they're wrong. A $40-50 box where your rare tiers are 1:800 or 1:1500 or whatever, with attractive designs, would sell just fine.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I agree so much, the trick would be creating actual rarity. So hard to do when consumers are used to x hits per box.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO ONE PLUS using Freedom Card Board mobile app

My thought could be fun in Flagship. These could fall ~ 1-2/box. People could amount an affordable stash of contest cards and watch for the date to occur. 162 game with my thought of #/10 per winner amounts to 1620 cards per player. There would be a ton of Bryant, Harper, Trout HR Date cards to chase in the hopes of a big hit.....low buy in with potential nice ROI. Trout would have a bunch of winning cards #/10 so the date would need to be on the winner. Also, popular players that hit few HRs would have a greater level of scarcity....at this point Kolten Wong would have a whopping 20 total winning cards on the market were as Trumbo would have 350.

I just think something needs to change.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I would like to see it. I think making the rare prized insert have the 90's look, the shine the etching the refraction but... they will never do it.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I enjoy non-GU, non-auto cards because they don't require redemptions. Bring back whatever favorite inserts and make new ones. Cheaper that way, too. While lots of people would say you can't sell a set without a major hit anymore, I think they're wrong. A $40-50 box where your rare tiers are 1:800 or 1:1500 or whatever, with attractive designs, would sell just fine.

I completely agree with this.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
1998 and 1999 Collectors choice were awesome, cheap and fun to open. 1998 Donruss was another product I loved to buy. Ohhh the glory days of ripping packs.

Members online