Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Introducing: The Buyback-Buyback!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Double the buyback, double the fun.

More info here: Introducing: The Buyback-Buyback!

buybacktop.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Next they'll cut a card in half and you have to buy the top & bottom to get the whole card.

Fordman

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Mouschi, it's obvious you're not a fan of this year's Archives Signature release, but I have to ask...are you still going to buy any of the Cansecos despite your dislike?

I'm not judging, just curious.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Mouschi, it's obvious you're not a fan of this year's Archives Signature release, but I have to ask...are you still going to buy any of the Cansecos despite your dislike?

I'm not judging, just curious.

That is a very good question and I actually recently came to the decision that in going to treat this like an extension year of last. I'm going to pick up the 2016 versions I don't have of 2015 ...and maybe more if they are cheap enough. I've already pulled the trigger on several. Right now I'm definitely not interested in low number duplicates.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
That is a very good question and I actually recently came to the decision that in going to treat this like an extension year of last. I'm going to pick up the 2016 versions I don't have of 2015 ...and maybe more if they are cheap enough. I've already pulled the trigger on several. Right now I'm definitely not interested in low number duplicates.

Seems like a great strategy. Thanks for the response!

Ok, one more question: It's pretty obvious that Topps is trying to exploit the current popularity of Vizquel and Galarragga, even though it seems like there are only a couple of collectors who bid each other up. Do you ever get the feeling that Topps is doing the same with Cansecos, with the thought that, "We know that Mouschi dude will keep buying them!!!".

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Great idea. That way they're all Ebay 1/1/1s.

Topps watches the market to a fair extent. They know what sells and what would provide good buying impetus relative to their cost. While Koufax and Trout autos in every box would sell out instantly, it would also add probably $100 to the cost of every box. But Galarraga and Vizquel probably aren't very expensive to get to sign, but they know that SPs of them sell well (the first couple copies, at least) so they'll throw them in wherever they can and people will be incentivized to buy.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Seems like a great strategy. Thanks for the response!

Ok, one more question: It's pretty obvious that Topps is trying to exploit the current popularity of Vizquel and Galarragga, even though it seems like there are only a couple of collectors who bid each other up. Do you ever get the feeling that Topps is doing the same with Cansecos, with the thought that, "We know that Mouschi dude will keep buying them!!!".

Indirectly? Yes. I don't think they are making them necessarily because of "me" but rather because they see he sells more than he did. The sell price of his base autos is down by quite a bit, but what do you expect when they make more autos of him than there are collectors of him? :) Topps, Panini and Leaf all take a close look at sales to see what is valuable to collectors, but I think we have to look more at this as a whole. In 2016, their big buyers are breakers. All the little value-adding (non mega hot) players that are cost effective makes sense for them to add.

I have been approached by many people in the past asking the question "since you are so public, aren't you worried that people will jack up the price because they know you are a supercollector?" A member on the forums told me my name came up randomly in a card shop thousands of miles from me, and the dealer was talking about how he would target Canseco cards to sell for higher to me, or something like that. The forum member told him he didn't like/appreciate that style of business. One thing I've noticed is that though there are some people out there who will try to gouge me, there are many, many more looking out for me just because they are nice!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
What would you do if someone like Keith Olberman hit that?

Or some lawsuit happy lawyer not getting what was advertised..

I know I would be pissed if I hit a $10,000 BIN and didn't get what I won on EBAY!!

:cool:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
What would you do if someone like Keith Olberman hit that?

Or some lawsuit happy lawyer not getting what was advertised..

I know I would be pissed if I hit a $10,000 BIN and didn't get what I won on EBAY!!

:cool:

I hate getting lawyers, but I'd then have to get my own to counter-sue for gratuitous stupidity :D

Members online

Latest posts