Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 6 is Complete!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcat4

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Illinois
Edit: Was typing this in as Chris was answering the questions.

The way I read it... You can't begin marking off a layer until there has been a bingo in the previous layer. I hit the Layer 1 bingo, so that means people can begin marking off Layer 2 squares starting with tonight's (July 2) games.
Layer 3 squares cannot be marked off until there has been a bingo in Layer 2, etc...

tommyd2107

Oct 29, 2009
quick question on my card i have kansas city in the same block in layer 2, do i just use their game score twice? or was that an error?

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
quick question on my card i have kansas city in the same block in layer 2, do i just use their game score twice? or was that an error?

Not an error at all. Duplicate teams are simply counted twice toward your total. This can actually be a blessing since a single solid performance is instantly doubled. No need to rely on another pitcher to pick up the slack.

WaxPax

@cjedmonton OK, I'm confused here.....don't these contradict each other?

BTW- with regard to the layer 2 benchmark of 300, I have Cincy as one of my teams and with Bailey's No-no (95 pts BTW) you would think I would have come close...the other teams were 30's & 40's

Please see my responses to questions asked in posts 32-37:

#32 : Yes, that's fine if you have one team listed twice in layer 2. That just means you count their game score twice.

#33 : Absolutely. Only layers 1 and 9 need to be completed in a single day. For layers 2-8, you just chip away at each square until you have completed the layer.

#35 : Correct on all assumptions, Bill (except for advancing on a wild pitch). For the pitching layers, we're talking about what they surrender to the opposition (other than strikeouts, of course). The boxscores found on mlb.com are quite comprehensive, so stolen bases will be shown as such at the very bottom.

#37 : No. Layer 1 is off the table now, so everyone starts working on layer 2 at the same time. Each time a layer is completed by a contestant, everyone starts with a clean slate the next day. On that note, you may not work ahead and cross off squares on any layer other than the current one.

Regarding layer 2, I actually did a bit of research when settling on the 300+ combined game score benchmark. While by no means easy, it is certainly attainable, especially if you have a team in the 90+ range. In this case, simple averaging would lower the requirement for one team to 60 (a mediocre effort) while only requiring a good, but totally realistic 75 average for the other two teams.

Having said that, if we get to the All-Star break without anyone completing layer 2, I may lower the requirement to 275.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game. I personally like the clean slate approach with each advancing layer...keeps things interesting!

Last note: I am working on probabilities of each contestant winning the grand prize. Just a fun snapshot to see who has the best chance of winning...at least on paper.

Signing off for now...

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
They don't contradict each other at all. He is answering two separate and unrelated questions.

All he is saying is that Layer 2-8 are different from layer 1-9, in that you can accomplish each layer over multiple days. That said, you cannot START a new layer until the current one that EVERYONE is working on has been won by somebody.

So you can only work on Layer 2 now. Don't even look ahead at Layer 3-9 or try to find those stats in the daily results because you CAN'T use them. You have to wait for CJ to announce that Layer 2 has a winner and then you can begin working on Layer 3 from that day forward, until there is a winner for Layer 3. Once a Layer 3 winner is announced, you can work on Layer 4, etc..

What's important to understand is that you can work on the current layer over multiple days. So, for Layer 2, you have two boxes. You DON'T have to have BOTH boxes completed on the same day. You might have scored a combined 300+ pts for one box last night, but not the other, so you just mark the date and the total score in the box that made it over 300 and then when your other box has a combined 300+ pts (maybe tonight, maybe never), you mark that date down and the total score and then send the results to CJ. If you are the first to respond to him, you win. If someone else responds before you, CJ will announce the winner and then Layer 2 is done. Cross it off. Move onto Layer 3. Stop looking up stats for Layer 2 at that point.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Regarding layer 2, I actually did a bit of research when settling on the 300+ combined game score benchmark. While by no means easy, it is certainly attainable, especially if you have a team in the 90+ range. In this case, simple averaging would lower the requirement for one team to 60 (a mediocre effort) while only requiring a good, but totally realistic 75 average for the other two teams.

Having said that, if we get to the All-Star break without anyone completing layer 2, I may lower the requirement to 275.

Ha! And then last night --- possible that someone could have won layer 2 already with several high scores. Wonder if anyone had the right combination to do it!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Thanks for chiming in, Bill. I couldn't have explained it better myself if I tried. [MENTION=3662]WaxPax[/MENTION]...I hope that helps clarify things for you!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I need to clarify something, folks:

A contestant just PM'd me believing he had a bingo for Layer 2. Unfortunately, he was adding game scores for each team over multiple days.

Although you can complete layers 2-8 over multiple days, each square needs to be completed in a single day.

In other words, each of your four teams must combine for 300+ game score points in a single day. If one of your teams has a doubleheader, you can choose whichever single game score gives you the greatest advantage, but you may not add both games together.

Any questions on this, please let me know. Again, so sorry Mr. You-know-who-you-are!

Chris

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I need to clarify something, folks:

A contestant just PM'd me believing he had a bingo for Layer 2. Unfortunately, he was adding game scores for each team over multiple days.

Although you can complete layers 2-8 over multiple days, each square needs to be completed in a single day.

In other words, each of your four teams must combine for 300+ game score points in a single day. If one of your teams has a doubleheader, you can choose whichever single game score gives you the greatest advantage, but you may not add both games together.

Any questions on this, please let me know. Again, so sorry Mr. You-know-who-you-are!

Chris

Thanks Chris! The nerve of some people.... ;)

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
:lol::lol:
Two days in a row I had the LOWEST guy:
Yesterday Chein-Ming **** 1.2 Inn 6 ER = 15 Pts
Today Jerome Williams 1.2 Inn 7 ER = 17 pts

A no-hitter isn't even going to help these guys!!

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 1 is Complete

I had Homer Bailey the day of his no hitter....91 pts and still didn't put me over on a square! Sheesh!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Okay, I'll just set things straight for Layer 2 now.

If no one completes Layer 2 by July 14th, the benchmark will be lowered from 300 to 250. This will be retroactive to July 2nd, so it is important to keep track all the way through. The earliest you may send me a winning PM with the lower benchmark is July 16th. This will give everyone enough time to check their cards over the All-Star break.

Thanks.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Here is a chart outlining the approximate odds of each contestant winning the grand prize on any given day (assuming all 7 of their teams are playing).

These odds stand on their own in that you have the same approximate odds on each day. The odds do not improve based on the number of eligible days you have to win between August 1 - Sept 29th.

This chart is based on the winning/losing percentage of each team as of July 1st, so they will obviously change by the time layer 9 is available to play on August 1st.

http://www.freewebs.com/cjedmonton/Bingo/posterodds.jpg

The average odds of winning on any given day is 1 in 153.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts