Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Teddy Bridgewater Apparenlty Has Four Different Signatures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Forget chasing cards with variant pictures. Go try and collect all of the variant autographs of Teddy Bridgewater. This might surpass last year's debacle with Cierre Wood's varying handwriting on inscriptions.

$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
The bottom 2 seem the same, the top left degrades a little bit and then he signed the on card metals last and finally had enough and started shortcutting them.

He would have signed them at different times, as the Leaf Army would have come out a couple years ago.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I get that it would have changed since the 2011 Army release. I posted them because I thought maybe the sticker auto on that art card was signed back then and dug up for this release. However, it doesn't match either of the Army cards.

If you look at the Army cards, there is a small difference. The sticker has a cursive F look towards the end. The on-card one has the cross style T.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
We spoke to his agent tonight again.. He signed stickers for us with full name, then realized there was no way he could do all the cards he had to do for all the companies with his every letter signature...

He changed his signature at that point..
He is planning on signing all cards for all companies in this way...

I know this is not ideal, but our only alternative is leave him out (which hurts collectors)..

I guess the bright side is our sketch autos might have a premium value (as army might).. BG

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Maybe he just wanted to do a different version for each score he put on the 'Canes... :cool:

To answer the OP: Yeah, I'm with the others, I don't see it being that big a deal.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Maybe he just wanted to do a different version for each score he put on the 'Canes... :cool:

To answer the OP: Yeah, I'm with the others, I don't see it being that big a deal.

You can make fun of the Canes for low grades, arrests, NCAA infractions, whatever. You just better watch your mouth when you use Bridgewater and Miami in the same breath.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
You can make fun of the Canes for low grades, arrests, NCAA infractions, whatever.

Actually, the booster-paid abortions were my Favorite!

And completely off topic, but did you have any luck finding the Miami Recruiting set they gave away at the recent basketball game?

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
It's not his fault, Bridgewater is a long name. Would be nice if he'd come up with a decent scribble signature for it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It's not his fault, Bridgewater is a long name. Would be nice if he'd come up with a decent scribble signature for it.

What he should have done is figured out his "public signature" before he even inked one card - so it would be consistent throughout his card-signing career.

to me, it shows lack of character that he's using the amount of stickers or cards to sign as an excuse to simplify his auto rather than just suck it up and deliver the fans his older quality auto. I think it probably is related to making it easy for family to help him sign cards -- after all, his new sig is so simple even a mom could sign it! ;)

Teddy does add a new example to why I think players' early auto cards should be more valuable than they are considered by collectors -- they offer an athletes best signature before it's changed into junk on the more desirable cards.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
What he should have done is figured out his "public signature" before he even inked one card - so it would be consistent throughout his card-signing career.

to me, it shows lack of character that he's using the amount of stickers or cards to sign as an excuse to simplify his auto rather than just suck it up and deliver the fans his older quality auto. I think it probably is related to making it easy for family to help him sign cards -- after all, his new sig is so simple even a mom could sign it! ;)

Teddy does add a new example to why I think players' early auto cards should be more valuable than they are considered by collectors -- they offer an athletes best signature before it's changed into junk on the more desirable cards.

To be fair, between all the companies he will probably sign 25,000-30,000 signatures... BG

marinocollector

Jul 21, 2013
To be fair, between all the companies he will probably sign 25,000-30,000 signatures... BG

EXACTLY!!! Its not like he's getting compensated for it! Remember when Marshall Faulk was asked by Madden to sign the 125,000 Panini cards? He MF'd us to death!!!! Oh, wait.... no he didn't.... That's right! He signed his entire name every time.

There's no being fair or coddling these players to giving less than 100% on the field, so why should the card manufacturers coddle them at paid for signings? By accepting his low quality autograph, you are allowing him to insult the collecting base and your company. I would show no sympathy, the contract signature should match the public signature in my opinion.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD

EXACTLY!!! Its not like he's getting compensated for it! Remember when Marshall Faulk was asked by Madden to sign the 125,000 Panini cards? He MF'd us to death!!!! Oh, wait.... no he didn't.... That's right! He signed his entire name every time.

There's no being fair or coddling these players to giving less than 100% on the field, so why should the card manufacturers coddle them at paid for signings? By accepting his low quality autograph, you are allowing him to insult the collecting base and your company. I would show no sympathy, the contract signature should match the public signature in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

My cold medication is kicking in, so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but these are both jokes, right? A 21 year old simplifies his autograph, and he suddenly "lacks character" and is "being coddled"?

I've seen a lot of crazy comments on here over the years, but these rank right up there with the craziest.

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
I love the press plate him and reds prospect Billy Hamilton must of became good friends last year while in Louisville..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure why some people give Bridgewater a pass for getting lazy when he signed a contract and is being paid. There are countless players who sign their full signature. Heck, Stephen Morris expanded his signature for his paid autographs. This of course isn't something that should be taken out on Leaf for accepting his signature. Like BG said, take it or leave him, so they kind of have to. It's just a shame XXXXXwater takes advantage of the scenario.

Here's the full paid sig compared to the old sig that I referenced above.

$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

marinocollector

Jul 21, 2013
[/QUOTE]

My cold medication is kicking in, so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but these are both jokes, right? A 21 year old simplifies his autograph, and he suddenly "lacks character" and is "being coddled"?

I've seen a lot of crazy comments on here over the years, but these rank right up there with the craziest.[/QUOTE]

Who's joking? If you sit down and negotiate a contract for a certain type of work, and then the worker changed the quality of work from what was agreed upon, wouldn't that upset you? Going from a signature to initials could greatly impact the decision on the amount of autographs to include of a player in a product. It is not the fault of Leaf or Press Pass or Upper Deck that Mr. Bridgewater was not able to fulfill the obligation to sign the cards in full because Mr Bridgewater decided it would be too tough on him. As far as I am concerned, Mr. Bridgewater shortened his autograph for the same financial price of his full autograph and that is not something the companies should accept. Never seeing the player contracts, I do not know how much they could hold the player responsible, but I guarantee the agent coached Mr Bridgewater into shortening his autograph to accomplish more signings in less time to gain more financially.

Members online

Latest posts