Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hurricane Sandy relics in Topps Debut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
http://www.beckett.com/news/2015/05/topps-puts-hurricane-sandy-relic-into-pro-debut/#more-91418

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

When Hurricane Sandy ravaged the East Coast in 2012 it caused an*estimated*$68 billion in damage — a total only topped by Hurricane Katrina, according to the Department of Commerce.

One of many victims of the storm was the Staten Island Yankees baseball team, the short-season A-ball squad*for the New York Yankees that helped relief efforts in the area.

Why does this matter to collectors a few years later? Well, Topps has included a piece of a “Hurricane Sandy damaged dugout mat” as a Fragments of the Farm Relic in 2015 Topps Pro Debut baseball cards that arrived in hobby shops yesterday. It’s a Relic that’s unique — What’s a dugout mat, anyway? — and it’s also a reminder of the past. It’s part of a stadium Relic set that just might be one of the more-unique memorabilia releases made.

In this case, S.I. Yankees team officials chose the piece of memorabilia provided for the card since it shows a significant time in its history. Other teams chose championship flags, ticket stubs, pitching rubbers, stadium seats, mascot fur, infield dirt and backstop netting.

What do you think of the card and the set? Tell us in our poll and in the comments below.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't like it either. "Relics" from a massive natural disaster that ruined lives is tacky and tasteless.
I wouldn't want a Hurricane Katrina relic or a Japanese earthquake relic, or an Oklahoma City tornado relic, even if they were baseball related.
Enough already.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I went back and forth on this. My wife is from Staten Island and many of her family and friends were directly impacted (2 completely lost their homes, several others had major damage). My knee jerk reaction was that I did not like it.

As I thought more about it, and especially given that it was the team that selected it, I actually am in favor of it. I agree with the published statement that "In this case, S.I. Yankees team officials chose the piece of memorabilia provided for the card since it shows a significant time in its history."

I understand people not liking it. But to me, it is a part of their history and it demonstrates the resilience and importance of sports in times like that.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
In this case, S.I. Yankees team officials chose the piece of memorabilia provided for the card since it shows a significant time in its history. Other teams chose championship flags, ticket stubs, pitching rubbers, stadium seats, mascot fur, infield dirt and backstop netting.

This info is the key for me. Topps didn't choose it, the S.I. Yanks did. If you want to blame someone, blame them. It's not like Topps is issuing a natural disaster relic set here, it's one card and it's on the team. And I'm as diehard a Yankee fan as you'll find, but it doesn't bother me.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
The difference is probably that they're "willing to move on" by making money off it, whereas someone that lost everything doesn't have that luxury.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I kind of like the fact that they (Topps) is trying to put something different in the cards besides just a plain white jersey swatch. The piece of netting would be pretty cool.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Personally i don't care for it. i know a lot of people who have lost so much. i was just talking to someone who still got nothing for there home that was destroyed. But maybe if they used it to raise money for a fund to help support those who were effected by the storm that would be good but I cant see making enough out of them to help recover anything from the storm.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Even if the team selected it, I think it's in poor taste. Topps should have encouraged them to pick something else.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I like the idea for set and I don't have a problem with what the Yankees chose. I think in 15-20 years collector's will look back and think it's a neat relic, similar to the berlin wall pieces that were put in archives. It might just be too soon for some people.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm hoping Panini puts pieces of the Marshall plane in the series 2 of Collegiate Contender's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts