Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What if Topps went Exclusive with a Product at Target???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
just got an email about Panini doing this with one of their basketball products.

[FONT=&quot]The venerable Prestige Basketball brand will usher in a bold, new collecting frontier when it starts hitting store shelves early next week. For the first time ever, Prestige Basketball (featuring five distinct configurations) will be available exclusively at Target stores. The first of three Target-exclusive NBA products Panini America will release for the 2014-15 season, 2014-15 Prestige Basketball will go live in most Target outlets as soon as Monday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2014-15 Prestige Basketball will be available in Premium Boxes ($200 SRP), Plus Boxes ($65 SRP), Blaster Boxes ($20 SRP), Hanger Boxes ($10) and in single packs ($4 SRP). In the gallery below, we offer the world premiere first look at the new-generation 2014-15 Prestige Basketball by showcasing just some of the cards that surfaced during the recently completed packout process. After that, we bring you a card-by-card breakdown of one Premium Box.

Could you see Topps doing this? Having a retail only product.
[/FONT]

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I like it in the respect that it removes the "hobby only!" distinction from a product.

BUT it's not good for the already struggling LCS. Then again, Topps in general hasn't been kind to those folks.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
They're seriously attempting to sell a $200 box at Target? I've never noticed a "locked up" section near the sports cards at Target, and if these are just sitting out they'll probably be stolen left and right.

Oh plus nobody is buying a $200 box of cards at Target.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Dumb idea. Not everyone has a Target near them. Closest one to me is an hour drive. I could see a Walmart exclusive since they have more stores and cover a broader area than Target. I still don't really like the idea either way.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
It's an interesting idea. I'd like to see how it plays out. I have seen boxes locked up @ Target before but most of the time they wrap them with those security cords so tightly that it crushes the box. That's a bad thing for any box but especially so for a $200 one.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
I see boxes all the time at Target that have been cut open and the contents gone through, I certainly hope they have some sort of security measure with the boxes.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
I get cards from Target pretty often, so I guess i would like the idea but I just don't see how it could be successful. Aside from gaming cards like MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. I don't think I've seen anyone ever looking at the sports cards while I'm there.

Don't know how heavily, but I would support it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

Could you see Topps doing this? Having a retail only product.

It used to happen all the time in the 1980's with their produced for (retailer name here) exclusive 25-30 card boxed set of current superstars or retired superstars.

I am waiting with baited breath to see how this works out for Panini and Target. I can easily see the pack or blaster being sold because people go to target all the time for that. Whether you can get collectors -- especially those who are price sensitive enough that they shop at Target for that reason -- to drop coin on the $65 or $200 boxes, that would be fun to see.

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I like it in the respect that it removes the "hobby only!" distinction from a product.

BUT it's not good for the already struggling LCS. Then again, Topps in general hasn't been kind to those folks.

I don't mean any disrespect with this post. What LCS? There aren't that many around anyways. I have to drive an hour in one direction to find one and almost 2 hours in the other to find a LCS. I have thought for a long time that the hobby/retail thing should be done away with. It sucks for most people that don't live near a shop that have to get lesser packs at Walmart and Target. Its one reason I rarely buy Panini products unless I order a hobby box online somewhere. Panini's retail packs and blaster boxes suck from everyone I have ever bought. Topps does seem to be better in the retail boxes and packs as I have got some better hits from those. I know I can order hobby boxes online but sometimes the urge strikes you when your picking up a gallon of milk at Wally World and you want to rip some packs.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Some Walmarts have little or no cards--Targets are pretty consistent in what they have from what I have seen. I'm curious what other sets they have coming. I would think this makes Panini look better too as they are getting different products out to where people are shopping.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Some Walmarts have little or no cards--Targets are pretty consistent in what they have from what I have seen. I'm curious what other sets they have coming. I would think this makes Panini look better too as they are getting different products out to where people are shopping.

That's true.. I rarely go to WalMart but the times I went they hardly had anything, a few boxes of gaming cards and like a blaster of HIT and something else.

On the other hand, Target is always absolutely full with tons and tons of blasters, packs, hangers/etc and usually a random box or 2 from all sports, even golf, wrestling, MMA, racing, and TV/movie stuff.