Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay head scratcher for sure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
So this sell has had this card up for sale for a long time now. He had lowered the price from the original price too.

Most recently he had it at 18.00 BIN no offer. I know of at least 2 people who contacted him and asked if he would take 12 bucks and 14.50 for the card.
He says no, and the card goes unsold again for about the 10th time.http://www.ebay.com/itm/390934092637?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well it gets re-listed with a auction and BIN this time. But for 14.95 opening or a BIN of 19.49.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390952939263?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well it gets re-listed a second time with a auction and BIN this time. Again 14.95 opening or a BIN of 19.49.......What the hell do some people think sometimes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-ONeill-1998-Topps-Tek-Diffractor-37-Pattern-31-New-York-Yankees/161462638971?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D26942%26meid%3D6d24da4fd4744363b3a30738b34a165e%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D11184%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D390952939263

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Can't get the bottom Link to work right.

But man, trying to figure out what eBay buyers are thinking sometimes is like trying to figure out WTF Jay Cutler is doing most of the time...:cool:

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
1) 14.95 >12.00

2) 14.95 >14.50

3 ) not every seller is desperate to sell every item they list....in fact , many people list items they have absolutely no intention of selling by listing it either with a high reserve or as a BIN/BO listing just to gauge interest or see what it MIGHT fetch....if the right buyer comes along and makes just the right offer , someone may let go of an item they really did plan on parting with as "typical" market value....others list high profile items at exorbitant prices just because the item itself will generate traffic and that MAY trickle over to their other items and generate extra sales....still others are intent on ONLY selling an item if they can move it for a profit and would rather keep the card instead of taking the loss...

frankly , every seller has their own reason for and method of selling....some work , some don't , but frankly as long as the items for sale are their own , it's their business and theirs alone.....(fwiw , i know that i've lost on quite a few 1/1 items of players i collect only to see the person who beat me IMMEDIATELY relist it at a jacked up price ....not a collector at all but someone who just buys and holds them hostage - for example , one of my players has a total of 31 1/1's...i own 18 so far and for most of them paid less than $8 dlvd...another buyer who lives 20 miles from me picked up 3-4 and prices them all between 50 and 250 which they will NEVER bring....do i LIKE that ? no , but he owns them and unless he lowers the prices he WILL own them since i am pretty much the only person who collects that particular player at all now)

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
1) 14.95 >12.00

2) 14.95 >14.50

3 ) not every seller is desperate to sell every item they list....in fact , many people list items they have absolutely no intention of selling by listing it either with a high reserve or as a BIN/BO listing just to gauge interest or see what it MIGHT fetch....if the right buyer comes along and makes just the right offer , someone may let go of an item they really did plan on parting with as "typical" market value....others list high profile items at exorbitant prices just because the item itself will generate traffic and that MAY trickle over to their other items and generate extra sales....still others are intent on ONLY selling an item if they can move it for a profit and would rather keep the card instead of taking the loss...

frankly , every seller has their own reason for and method of selling....some work , some don't , but frankly as long as the items for sale are their own , it's their business and theirs alone.....(fwiw , i know that i've lost on quite a few 1/1 items of players i collect only to see the person who beat me IMMEDIATELY relist it at a jacked up price ....not a collector at all but someone who just buys and holds them hostage - for example , one of my players has a total of 31 1/1's...i own 18 so far and for most of them paid less than $8 dlvd...another buyer who lives 20 miles from me picked up 3-4 and prices them all between 50 and 250 which they will NEVER bring....do i LIKE that ? no , but he owns them and unless he lowers the prices he WILL own them since i am pretty much the only person who collects that particular player at all now)

So nice of you to explain all of that to us...

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
OP asked a question......the first two reasons i gave are simple facts (the seller's opening bid now is still higher than either offer he received , indicating he doesn't want to sell at either price offered).......then i gave my other possible reasons , though i must say your contribution on this topic is far superior to mine :rolleyes:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
1) 14.95 >12.00

2) 14.95 >14.50

Even though he was offered lees then his opening bin now. He could have sold it for .50 less then the opening and moved on. But no one took it at 18 and now is BIN is higher then the original 18.........

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
The BIN price has to be 30% higher than the auction starting price...which is $19.49. I'm the seller and am not expecting to sell the card for the BIN price, but don't want to sell it for less than $14.95. It is listed by whichever listings are free at the time...thus it had to be changed from BIN to auction with BIN. Although I don't remember any offers being made (not saying they weren't, I just don't remember them), I would obviously except an offer of $14.50 plus shipping at this point as my price has been lowered.

Long story short, I am a collector who lists cards on eBay for fun using only free listings. Not sure what I paid for the card, but I would guess not much less than $14.95. I would rather hang on to the card than lose money on it.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Sorry man
Wasn't bagging on you really.
Just did not know why it was listed this way.
If this came off as such I'm sorry.
And thanks for clearing it up too.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I've learned on eBay that auction is absolutely the way to go if you're the seller. Many, many times I've seen a card listed for let's say $60 BIN and it literally doesn't sell for months. The seller then puts it in a 7 day auction and starts it at $0.99 and it goes upwards of $100 because two buyers suddenly feel that they absolutely need this card.

Members online