Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great card idea which will never happen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Love them or not, Yankees sell.

There's been several All Yankees products issued over the last 15 or so years but none recently.

Yesterday was Old Timers day and it presented a phenomenal opportunity for Topps which surely they didn't take advantage of.

Why not make a product dedicated to the game?

There were at least 50 old timers there ranging from Larsen to Matsui with most being commons or faves.

It should be a very easy product to do when you think about it.

The photos come from that one game.

The game is in NY

Autographs? Sure and that's the key considering all the players are at the game. No need for stickers and mailings.

And outside of Matsui (possibly) there's no one who would be excluded due to obscene costs or unwillingness (no Jeter or Mo)

And since most are not stars, auto costs would be low.

Topps used to do same day card making for their rookie premier cards so no reason they couldn't it here.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I love the idea of a subset or small run product featuring that game.

But how can you get both pics and on card autos from the same game? It would have to be made within 2-3 hours of first pitch and that old timers' day game usually goes less than an hour.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Make the cards to look like the 1994 Leaf Slideshow insert, have the players sign the cards and insert the color film later.

I love the idea of a subset or small run product featuring that game.

But how can you get both pics and on card autos from the same game? It would have to be made within 2-3 hours of first pitch and that old timers' day game usually goes less than an hour.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Topps Now card today. But a whole set of fat, old guys 10-50 years removed from the game? Ehhhhh, you really have to bleed pinstripes to be into that.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you mean old timer photos as cards, I agree that old, out of shape former ball player photos is not appealing.

I would rather see a set that featured signatures of those fan favorites on cards showing them in their primes, but that has been done several times already with all Yankees.

I'd like to see an affordble set of commons and obscure players who team collectors would probably eat up. Do one for all of the teams. Enough of the same old guys used year in and year out. Find new guys like they do for the heritage cards each year, but more! This would be the guys who maybe played 1-2 years and didn't amount to much. This idea doesn't fly because the masses wouldn't care, but market it as a smaller set (25-100 cards - all signed) and true team collectors may bite. The tough part is getting enough guys to sign and keeping it reasonably priced. Most of those guys are $1-55 autographs on 3x5s and cards.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
If you mean old timer photos as cards, I agree that old, out of shape former ball player photos is not appealing.

I would rather see a set that featured signatures of those fan favorites on cards showing them in their primes, but that has been done several times already with all Yankees.

I'd like to see an affordble set of commons and obscure players who team collectors would probably eat up. Do one for all of the teams. Enough of the same old guys used year in and year out. Find new guys like they do for the heritage cards each year, but more! This would be the guys who maybe played 1-2 years and didn't amount to much. This idea doesn't fly because the masses wouldn't care, but market it as a smaller set (25-100 cards - all signed) and true team collectors may bite. The tough part is getting enough guys to sign and keeping it reasonably priced. Most of those guys are $1-55 autographs on 3x5s and cards.

I agree!! I'd love to see a set like that. Obscure bit players, not the same old players over and over. I dont need another Bobby Richardson auto, there's already 27 different sets with him in it. I wanna see players like Shelly Duncan or Melido Perez (for the Yankees that is) I'd def be all over a set like that

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think it's an interesting idea and would be different, for sure. The problem with a set like this, though, is that Topps can't just print up cards of players on a whim. They have to contact and sign (and, of course, actually pay) those players for the rights to use their likeness (this has to be done for everyone as a baseline, on top of any autographs that might be contracted). Topps usually does this in sweeping fashion at spring training with active players, making it a real drain on resources to sign retired players. If they are only going to appear in a single set, it isn't worth it for Topps to go through the legal steps of contracting them at all, even they are paying them next to nothing for the rights to their likenesses.

Members online

Latest posts