Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Jr. pre-rookie cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evan

Jul 18, 2017
Found this interesting review of pre-rookie Griffey Jr. cards. I picked up an AAMER SPORT 1987 Moeller high card as a kid from a local card shop and have always thought it was kind of cool. I especially love the description on the back.

Griffey Moeller.jpg moeller back.jpg

Anyone else have any of these?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't buy for a second that this card was "issued" in 1987. It screams broder!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I have one like this,( Damn You Photobucket).............. was sent to me by a Member here ;)
ken_griffey_jr_autographed_trading_card_moeller_high_school_psa_dna_authentic_signed_baseball_cards_p357813.jpg

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
The pre-rookie Ripkens are some of my favorite Cal cards. Don't follow Griffey but I'm sure his fans have a similar appreciation.

evan

Jul 18, 2017
I have one like this,( Damn You Photobucket).............. was sent to me by a Member here ;)
ken_griffey_jr_autographed_trading_card_moeller_high_school_psa_dna_authentic_signed_baseball_cards_p357813.jpg

[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] - the one I have is signed too, but I foolishly displayed it in my room right by the window for years and it's very faded now! :(

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Those cards were sold all over thd Midwest in the late 1980's through the same channels as the Broder cards were. Broder cards were distributed through agreements that dealers didn't disclose where they came from, dealers kept 80% of the profits.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Whoever made this card didn't do a very good job with their homework. The back says, "Ken may very well be a first round selection in the upcoming draft....." The draft actually took place on June 2-4, 1987 so basically the card implicates this was a HS card made prior to the '87 draft. The back also says, "The son of Major League veteran Ken Griffey, who is still active with the Reds". This is where it gets weird. Ken Sr. played with the Braves for the entire 1987 season. He actually rejoined the Reds on August 3, 1988.

Nonetheless, neat cards. The auto'd version looks pretty cool. Those of you with an auto need to get the other version auto'd as well. Good luck.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
When I was a Kid I got taken by the Mattingly minor league card picturing him in the old time Jersey.

I'm a little surprised there were not many other Broder cards passed off as legit college high school and minors cards.

DTA

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There you go, proof enough they were made after 1987. Definitely no earlier than late 1988, most likely sometime in 1989 AFTER the UD card got popular would be my guess. Griffey Sr came to the Mariners in 1991, so he was with the Reds through 90. UD caught the collecting world by surprise by including Griffey when nobody else did, so why would some HS card be made of him BEFORE he was famous?

Whoever made this card didn't do a very good job with their homework. The back says, "Ken may very well be a first round selection in the upcoming draft....." The draft actually took place on June 2-4, 1987 so basically the card implicates this was a HS card made prior to the '87 draft. The back also says, "The son of Major League veteran Ken Griffey, who is still active with the Reds". This is where it gets weird. Ken Sr. played with the Braves for the entire 1987 season. He actually rejoined the Reds on August 3, 1988.

Nonetheless, neat cards. The auto'd version looks pretty cool. Those of you with an auto need to get the other version auto'd as well. Good luck.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
When I was a Kid I got taken by the Mattingly minor league card picturing him in the old time Jersey.

I'm a little surprised there were not many other Broder cards passed off as legit college high school and minors cards.

DTA

Got a pic of the Mattingly? I'm pretty sure I got taken by a couple of these as a kid too (the Frank Thomas USA card, McGwire USC card). I don't wanna say they were "scams" but they weren't by any means transparent in what they were. I love that stuff now though, ala the "what ifs" stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Speaking of mysterious pre rookie cards, I didn't buy it for this card, but I got an interesting card in a lot. The "1982" Pilots Mark McGwire card. If I remember, the card is larger than a standard modern baseball card, but I got one that was smaller in a lot of assorted oddball cards. I assume it is a fake or some sort of reprint, but it came with a great lot of really weird and obscure cards, several of which I had seen before, but many were new to me. Cards like Reggie Jackson Accel, Canseco Worth, Brett Spot-Bilt, Joe Garagiola NBC "Business card", Billy Martin Book card, Cy Block 85 Topps, etc.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION] - the one I have is signed too, but I foolishly displayed it in my room right by the window for years and it's very faded now! :(

This Card Has A Auto On It????
OUCH..........
Found this interesting review of pre-rookie Griffey Jr. cards. I picked up an AAMER SPORT 1987 Moeller high card as a kid from a local card shop and have always thought it was kind of cool. I especially love the description on the back.

View attachment 71401 View attachment 71402

Anyone else have any of these?

Members online