Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MONSTER - Josh Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes to TOR For Alvarez/Escobar/Hechavarria/Nicolino/Marisnick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
just heard that the Marlins included the fish in the fish tanks behind home plate in the trade also.

one BP writer suspects that all new players that the Marlins sign will demand strict no trade clauses in their contract. You pay double taxes when your traded to Toronto.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
How Loria was able to f-up the Expos, unload them on the MLB, and then buy the Marlins is perplexing enough for me. Now they pull this crap and jam the taxpayers too? Selig should neg this trade when it comes to the office for approval. Isn't that what the process is for?

And I agree, this team should be contracted out of baseball. I'll even settle for a 29 team league with the screwed up schedule just to see this team go away. I feel really bad for Marlins fans.

Selig could not neg this trade after the Red Sox/Dodgers deal he approved 3 months ago.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
If I was a Marlins fan I would say good riddance to the lot of overpaid underachievers. They overpaid for Reyes, Bell in hopes of getting Pujols.
Signed Guillen as a manager to add more hype and that backfired because he is a big mouth boneheaded idiot.

I would much rather watch a group of young developing talent lose 100 games than a bunch of overpaid old farts win 60. That stadium is an theme park attraction in itself, so if they where smart they would make it multi use (UFC, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball) to make the money back.

Makes me happy to be a Ranger fan home grown talent with a few key "Intelligent" free agent signings. Now if only they could find a way to put a roof on the stadium.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Jays are owned by a company the size (and worth) of AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner rolled into one. Mere drop in the bucket.

you don't want to go too crazy - I think they are accountable to their shareholders so you have to show some profit growth, too. Maybe if the Jays improved with this trade they can jack up the price/sub of the Rogers SportsNet and SportsNet One channels.

As to giancarlo, he should just shut up, concentrate on improving his play and enjoy inking a good free agent contract in a few years with another club. He may not be able to control what Miami does in the near term, but if he's a superstar in a few years he'll have a big say in where he will end up and how much he'll get paid.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I don't know how anyone could be a Marlins fan. I understand they have 2 World Series titles but still this XXXX would piss me off.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Marlins batting order:
1. Al Gore
2. Che Guevara T-shirt
3. Marco Rubio
4. Giancarlo Stanton
5. Tony Sparano
6. Leo Nunez/Fausto Carmona
7. Dan LeBatard's dad
8. Frank Martin
9. Alonzo Mourning

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Are the pro players in Canada taxed the same % as the rest of the citizenry?

Yes and No

Blue Jay players pay a Canadian income tax on their earnings in Canada on home games. It totals about 48%. Blue jay players also pay a Provincial tax. They get up to 35% of that 48 % back of the Federal when they file their taxes at the end of the year from the US. However, some states such as California and New Jersey may not honor tax treaties between Canada and the United States so some players pay both the provincial and state tax regardless of where they live. After that, a Blue jay player is required to pay state and city taxes to all states he played in for his away games accept for games vs the Rangers, Astros, Rays, and Marlins. So 14 games at Fenway Park a season means paying state tax in Massachusetts and city tax to Boston.

Darren Oliver says your tax return playing in Toronto can be 50 +pages.

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Sad to see Hech go. Hech should be fun to watch. Just give him the gold glove now. I'm not sold on Marisnick. He is at least a year or two away from the bigs. Alvarez is solid, he just needs a strikeout pitch.
I'll definitely miss Jerry Remy butchering his name everytime we play the Jays LMAO

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This is just a crazy trade. Wow. But Marlins fans, wasn't trading Hanley a sign that a fire sale was coming? I just didn't think it would be to all one team :lol: You weren't going to win with the team you had going into 2013...now you can lose much cheaper and improve for the future.

Members online

Latest posts