Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

T206 Red Sox team set progress thread....UPDATE! 3/25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Nice to be getting some maildays again.....wallet be damned!

The first two I bought from PWCC's ebay auctions, they had a ton of nice cards for sale with prices to match. Got outbid on a handful but won a couple nice one's for the Red Sox PC:

20170213_154939_zpsxsftnn9v.jpg

Couldn't pass this up for $21, don't have many Dom's and the red background really pops!

20170213_155015_zpsluiozlrq.jpg
20170213_155046_zpsvubplbld.jpg

This was my consolation prize for being the underbidder on the E97 Carrigan. This one is a little different for me considering it's not a Red Sox card per say, but Hick "Forrest" Cady was pretty much a life long Sox player who played for three World Series championship teams. This one goes nicely with my 14' Cracker Jack of him.

The rest of my mail is a new project I'm working on. As many of you know I finally completed my T3 Red Sox team set last month, looks fantastic together. After finishing that, I got an itch to start a new pre-war team set....but wanted to start one I'd actually be able to finish this time. Decided on the T206 team set because it's very do-able with most of the cards being readily available and I already own the most expensive card of the set (T. Speaker). I've always shyed away from buying many T206 mainly because how common they are and the fact that everyone else seems to collect them. Now I kind of wish that I had started this project several years ago as they have gone up a little bit in price since I last bought a couple. Going to try to buy them already graded by PSA, for uniformity purposes.

Nonetheless here are the ones I recently got in the mail:
(Apologize if the scans are large, PB sometimes takes a while to resize the scans after you edit them....still looking for a better alternative)

20170219_161446_zpssnpxoovi.jpg

Harry Niles

20170219_161623_zpstgapntzy.jpg

Jake Stahl

20170219_161557_zpsunvvmall.jpg

Frank "Piano Mover" Smith....Decided to include him in the team set, as he is listed with Boston. This card is a SP since he got traded while these cards were being printed. During the same print run of his Chicago variant, they added "and Boston" and printed those out making it a SP because it's not a full print run of said variant. Sadly he only actually pitched in 5 games with Boston, which sucks because we traded Harry Lord (who had a few solid seasons with Chicago after the trade) and Amby McConnell (had 1 good season with Chi after the trade).

20170219_161521_zpstcobbagz.jpg

Tubby Spencer....how can you not love that name? Only played 1 season with Boston. This card is in really nice shape!

20170219_161333_zpshb3tj42o.jpg

Eddie Cicotte....starting to have a decent Cicotte PC (M116, E95, T206....now I need his T205 and T207). This card looks very nice for a PSA 2, the MC qualifier doesn't bother me too much.

And here is the set all together:

20170219_164431_zpskabbyfbg.jpg

20170219_164628_zpsk2wpnxna.jpg

Looks good together! :) Eventually I will either crack the Wagner and send to PSA or sell it and buy one already PSA graded. Might keep that one though because I like the Polar Bear back.

Now I need 5 more: Jake Stahl (Glove shows), Frank Arellanes, Heinie Wagner (bat on left shoulder), Bill Carrigan, and Red Kleinow (Boston variant - SP team change). Definitely doable. :cool:

That's it for now....thanks for lookin' fellas and comments are appreciated.
-Scott

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nice pick ups for sure, it's always nice to have mail days like you have been having!

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't care if it's creased, that Tris Speaker is breathtaking. I chased that card for a couple years before I bailed and opted for the mecca t201. Congrats that's a truly great team set.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't care if it's creased, that Tris Speaker is breathtaking. I chased that card for a couple years before I bailed and opted for the mecca t201. Congrats that's a truly great team set.
t206speakerfront.jpg
t206speakerback.jpg

I enjoy my vintage 'well loved'. :) Mr. Speaker really pops against that deep blue background. I don't have a T201 in my collection yet, need to get one someday. Was VERY close to buying one [Speaker/Gardner] shortly after I landed my Speaker T3 but decided to give my wallet a short lived break. Do you have a scan of your T201?

Beautiful pickups Scotty! Doesn't mater how many times you see a 206 or how many people collect them, they're always pieces of art
Thanks Andy! And I agree with you there....but I did it right starting the team set now, as several years ago I bought most of my rarer/harder to find cards that I probably wouldn't be able to afford today.

One of my favorite things about T206 is just the sheer number of combinations between players/poses and backs....not to mention the many collectors who collect the oddball types whether it be: miscuts, "ghost" images, printing errors, stamped backs, big borders, etc....very interesting set with a flavor for everyone.

Nice pick ups for sure, it's always nice to have mail days like you have been having!

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
Thanks Ryan! I'm no sure how I went so long without having maildays quite honestly :lol: Down the road I'd eventually like to make a display cabinet for some of my cards. Until then, I'll keep buying stuff to fill it with ;)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Just a heads up guys, not sure if everyone received it but eBay has a 10% eBay bucks promotion going on through Thursday on 1 item no min. limit. Like I needed more incentive to spend even more money. :benson: Look for another mailday in a handful of days :lol:

Love that you are doing a team set!!! Great cards, too!
DANNY
Thanks Danny....team sets are definitely fun. You're putting together a few yourself, correct?

That must have been fun to go through!
No doubt! :cool:

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Love seeing the new project Scotty, and I'm glad you a staying away from chrome stuff!
I need to get back to my T206 set myself, I am about half done (don't have a Speaker yet) but maybe one of these days....
Keep us up to date on your progress ok?

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Love seeing the new project Scotty, and I'm glad you a staying away from chrome stuff!
I need to get back to my T206 set myself, I am about half done (don't have a Speaker yet) but maybe one of these days....
Keep us up to date on your progress ok?

Half done you say? Get your butt moving to 100%! I'll race ya... ;)

UPDATE 3/3

Got a couple in the mail yesterday...

20170303_162846_zpspuotegpr.jpg

20170303_162756_zpsai1n5u5u.jpg

(Bought this one with the eBay flash sale, $10 off $50 or more - it was $50 BIN free shipping, perfect :D )

And here is them all together:

20170303_163311_zpsh9chhpyz.jpg

10/13

Still need: Bill Carrigan, Heinie Wagner (bat on left shoulder), & Red Kleinow (Boston)

Thanks for looking!
-Scott

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That is an awesome group!! I'll post a pic up later that I think you'll like...
I prefer the Stahl with the glove to the one without. I bought the T205 Stahl for my collection. I've been himming and hawing for far to long now on which Harry Lord I'm going to buy, hard to beat that 206.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
That is an awesome group!! I'll post a pic up later that I think you'll like...
I prefer the Stahl with the glove to the one without. I bought the T205 Stahl for my collection. I've been himming and hawing for far to long now on which Harry Lord I'm going to buy, hard to beat that 206.

I'm partial to his M116 :D

1911m116lordfront.jpg

I have to laugh, I'm at the opposite stance with you on the Stahl T206, I prefer the no glove Stahl, because the focal point is the BOSTON in big bold letters on his uniform. Great choice on the T205 Stahl, I hadn't owned any of these prior to this year, now I have 2....very cool set, love the stats on the back w/ the bio. Don't see that too often on tobacco cards.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've seen this card dozens of time when I flip through eBay listings and something just struck me, in that picture he looks like an old timey Jim Parsons, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I've seen this card dozens of time when I flip through eBay listings and something just struck me, in that picture he looks like an old timey Jim Parsons, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory
I can see it, if only I were good with Photoshop! Though I did make a Matthew Rhys T206 recently:

d4af9661-f5b4-4222-9247-c2a4c11840cb_zpsqafsw0xp.png

View attachment 68143

I own two T206 cards, it's crazy to me they are two of the three you listed as needs when you have 10 of the team set.

What are the odds of that?! :lol: Thanks for sharing man, very nice cards. :) (And apparently you have the 2 most difficult cards out of the way so let's make a 3 way race between you, Rebelpawn, and I for the first to 100% team set :cool: )

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm certainly not going for the full set, I've got a Red Sox hall of fame collection, to be clear that is the Sox own HOF not guys who played for the Sox and are the the baseball HOF and I've supplemented that with former captains and some other significant players. It's a nice, smaller sized collection, still missing a few pieces, like the Ted rookie but I'm pretty happy with it to this point.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
UPDATE 3/25

Got a couple more in the mail.....down to 1 left!

20170325_170928_zpsngox15zx.jpg

Finally won one this after being outbid on a few of these. Looks pretty nice for the grade, no creases that I can see.

20170325_171043_zpstdwlvh9t.jpg

This one has been on eBay for a while at a reasonable BIN, but I held off because I wanted a PSA graded copy. Turns out this card doesn't ever show up on eBay in PSA low grade condition, so I figured while this one was 10% off, I'd pull the trigger at less than $35 shipped.

Here they are all together:

20170325_171433_zpsehlblknv.jpg

12/13

Still need: Red Kleinow [Boston]

Thanks for looking!
-Scott

View attachment 68143

I own two T206 cards, it's crazy to me they are two of the three you listed as needs when you have 10 of the team set.

There, now we're even. :)

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
My Speaker has a little quirk to it. Front looks fairly decent...

Speaker, Tris  Hall of Fame.jpg

but the back has a stamp of what appears to be a bear playing a violin!

Speaker, Tris  Hall of Fame, back.jpg

There is a fair amount of record keeping regarding stamped backed T206 cards, but this is the only bear violin one I've come across so far. I would probably pick up some others if I stumbled across them.

ps: That "Stahl, glove showing" is a pretty nice looking 2. Also...nice Cicotte. That's one I hope to eventually add to the collection someday.

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
My Speaker has a little quirk to it. Front looks fairly decent...

View attachment 68817

but the back has a stamp of what appears to be a bear playing a violin!

View attachment 68818

There is a fair amount of record keeping regarding stamped backed T206 cards, but this is the only bear violin one I've come across so far. I would probably pick up some others if I stumbled across them.

Can't say I've ever seen that back stamp....too cool!! Thanks for sharing :)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
[MENTION=11678]1998 SPx[/MENTION] I'd count that as a Polar Bear back...
[MENTION=7150]scotty216brs[/MENTION], I wouldn't say even, I'd say you are way ahead, nice looking cards, my Carrigan was pretty cheap too, I love that card, pose background, it's all great.