Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If there was a Baseball card Hall of Fame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The recent passing of Hobby icon Bob Lemke got me thinking about what if there was a Hall of Fame for this hobby?

Which people, products etc should be in it?

Ill throw out a few.

Bob Lemke: He did so much to advance this hobby well before the boom with all his articles, info and cataloging.

1952 Topps (and Mantle), T206 Wagner, 1992 Bowman, 1997 Bowman Chrome, Sports Collectors Digest SCD, Beckett

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I was really bummed to hear about Bob Lemke. I was on his blog for hours the day before he died just looking around. I loved his custom cards.

Jefferson Burdick, Lionel Carter, Keith Olbermann, Larry Fritch.

1989 Upper Deck, 1975 Topps, 33 and 34 Goudey.

Scott F

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Strasburg belongs in the card HOF- the guy single handily drove the biggest card fury ever. Harper and Trout can have their own displays as well.

We should probably name the TTM wing of the Card Hall after Bobby Doerr. Pat Neshek will be the first inductee on that wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
1993 Topps finest, 1997 ud game jersey inserts (I think 97 w/Griffey, gwynn and ordonez). Those two get my vote for their "tech innovation" qualities. If I were to name a set or two that haven't been mentioned I'd say 49 Bowman and maybe I'm alone but t212 mecca folders

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
You can add 'Mr. Mint' Al Rosen to the list. Seems like if there was a vintage find somewhere in the late 80's, he was there to buy it.

Fordman

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
EXCELLENT thread as always, BBC! I think [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9350]fordman[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head with Beckett & Mr. Mint. Both were absolutely huge in my childhood. If I didn't have baseball cards in my hand, I would have a Beckett for Mr. Mint's book. For me personally, I'd nominate my local baseball card dealer growing up. He was like a hero to me.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Ben McDonald, Todd Van Poppel, Brien Taylor, David McCarty, Ben Grieve, Travis Lee (and several other 97 Bowman Chrome phenoms), Matt Anderson, JD Drew, Rick Ankiel (pitcher), Rocco Baldelli, Mark Prior, Joe Borchard, Brandon Wood, Bryan Bullington, Matt Bush (fielder)

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
/\ Those guys deserve a place just like Merkle's boner or Buckner's Game 6 fielding deserve a place in the real hall of fame.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks Mouschi and you make a great point with your LCS.

I think a "generic" LCS to represent all card shops should also be inducted as well as card shows.

These two REALLY boomed the hobby.

DTA

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
If there's a "character clause" for this HOF I'm not sure Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen would be allowed in.

Scott F

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
If there's a "character clause" for this HOF I'm not sure Alan "Mr. Mint" Rosen would be allowed in.

Scott F

This is sad, because you may be right. I don't know ANYTHING personally about the man, aside from hearing some negative stuff online, but beyond that, I fell in love with his book!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
All great answers so far. Nothing really to add but to mention my "local" LCS was a 70 something grandmother who sold singles and wax out of a glass case on the side of her husband's archery shop. The card business overtook his business within months! I only ever knew her as "The Card Lady". Sweetheart of a woman (but all business!). I'm sure she's long gone by now sadly but that's childhood there

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I mentioned Joe Orlando, but grading in general. If we're talking cards that helped drive a year, the 95 BBest Refractors of Vlad n Andruw. I think the 1990 UD Reggie Auto, 1996 LEAF Signature series and 1991 Donruss Elites all had impacts as well.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There are a variety of bigger mail order folks that are probably household names to card collectors who were buying before online was possible. Aside from Fritsch, I remember names like Bill Henderson, Kit Young, Paul Marchant and of course, Renata Galasso and TCMA. There are many more, but those are some of the people I actually ordered from at times.

Members online

Latest posts