Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I am giving away a box of Topps Five Star Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyporter

Aug 24, 2008
Wow, great contest!

Dennis Eckersley.

I love the classy vintage look of this card and Eckersley's artistic and stylish looking signature falls right in line with the flair of his persona. Whether it was his thick mane of black hair fluffing out from all edges of his cap, his well-coiffed matching mustache, or his whirling dervish side-armed delivery. Eckersley's numbers set the bar for which all future closers were to be judged. He had a two year period between 1989-90 where he walked just 7 batters and struck out 128, oh and he saved 81 games. That wasn't even his Cy Young/MVP season of 1992.

Despite this sounding like a love fest or man crush. I hated that guy. Seeing him come into the game meant one thing--the M's were going to lose again. I cheered when Gibby took him deep and pumped his arm rounding second base. It was the first time that I'd seen a human beat the machine.

Mariano Rivera may go down as the king of all closers, but before there was Mo, there was Eck.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...0820080231?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item460a462667

Yeah, I'm a Giants homer, which is why I picked this one, but the patches are extremely colorful and the three players are symbolic (and always will be) of the 2010 and 2012 title runs. Because Five Star seems to run a little low on patches, it makes it that much more of a scarce card, being #'d /5. Plus (and I'm no patch expert) the Sandoval looks like it could be a 2010 World Series patch, making the card even more historical for Giants collectors.

The BIN on this one is pretty pricey and probably way out of the ballpark of what it's really worth, but Giants fans have pretty deep pockets, so I'd be surprised if this one doesn't eventually get scooped up. Maybe the box Chris is giving away has one of the other 4 from the run....

Overall, I like the product as the "painted" portraits are pretty sharp. From what I've seen and read the condition sensitivity issue is a potential problem, especially for a pack that costs hundreds. Lots of redemptions and the lack of patches and vintage relics are made up by tons of great autos and when you do land a patch (like the Giants triple) it's probably going to be a nice card. And you can never go wrong with bat knobs!

If I had a ton of extra money to spend on cards right now, I'd try a box. But with the holidays and other priorities, probably won't happen anytime soon.

Thanks for the chance!

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
I like the design. i think the on card autos will be much sought after in 5 to 10 years when this stuff dries up. The rookies are ok but I was thinking of putting together retired autograph set. With players like Koufax, Aaron, Musial, Ripken, Griffey its hard to go wrong. For price of a case it might be worth trying to put set together but You got to knock off the big ones like Koufax first to even have a chance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...0694541390?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item564f1dd04e

Not a bad price for low numbered HOFer from a high end brand.

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
This has the potential to be "the card" in someone's collection

Tony Gwynn 1/1 Letter Patch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...0951711819?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item23256c544b

Five Star's checklist is chock-full of all-stars, and some of the cards (e.g. the bat knobs, letter patches, etc.) are amazing. However, there design leaves something to be desired in my opinion. For some reason I get the feeling the cards are cheap looking. it's almost as if there's too much going on with the cards. Additionally, the silver and gold autos /5 and /10 just dont look good on the cards. It must have something to do with the colors and the thickness of the pens.

trubear

Mar 14, 2011
Janesville
Yoenis Cespedes Auto I would love to have however I am concerned w/ chipping around the edges opened a 3box case last nite and 9 of the 30 cards had chipping 2 very bad also i card had a bad picture fram in the jumbo patch - an albert pujols can you believe it pay that price and have problems hope we can get repacements

hudsonfan15

Aug 22, 2010
I got the one card out of the product that's truly PC, unfortunately it's a redemption so I'll have a long wait on my hands. In the meantime, an on-card auto of maybe the hardest working man in baseball (I'm not a Red Sox fan either) has to be a solid deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-TOPPS-...0881858653?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35c1a1945d

Overall I'm not seeing great ROI on this product but the concept and the cards themselves are fine. I think with a couple more releases they will get it right overall, this one just had too many low level retired players and too many redemptions for the big hits. Also, would an inner box to protect the cards from moving around a bit more be too much to ask?

Thanks for the contest!

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIPPER-JON...1104585179?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f1f17addb

I really like this card. While I am not a Braves fan, Chipper Jones represents everything good in sports. He played his entire career with the same team during an age of free agency when top players bolted for the most money they could get. He was always a great leader and never had any off-the-field issues. This classy card exemplifies that with the picture of him lifting his hat to the fans, it is a perfect picture for a card in his retirement year. The design of the card is really, really nice and the relic fits the coloring of the card, though the relic per se does not stand out as anything special.

Members online

Latest posts