Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Fernandez stared at his home run...oh boy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Exactly. The Braves stormed the field because of the spitting towards Johnson. The staring at the home run may have annoyed some Braves, but it was not what angered them so much.

Then why didn't **** Johnson react until after Fernandez was behind McCann and the ump?

If Johnson had beat his ass near 3B I'd question his actions a little bit less.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm not sure what the issue is here...Fernandez actually apologized to Johnson after the game because he knows he was in the wrong. Heck pretty much every Marlin including the manager believes that Fernandez acted immature out there. People are making a huge deal out of this when both teams have already put it behind them.

I know he apologized. I'm sure he got a lecture from Redmond about it. I'd much rather see the raw emotion of the moment carry over to make the Braves./ Marlins match ups a little spicier.

mkhawk21

Oct 7, 2012
Mason City, IA
I'm not sure what the issue is here...Fernandez actually apologized to Johnson after the game because he knows he was in the wrong. Heck pretty much every Marlin including the manager believes that Fernandez acted immature out there. People are making a huge deal out of this when both teams have already put it behind them.

I know hat you're saying, my issue is I don't think Fernandez had to apologize. Gattis did the same thing basically and Johnson was jawing the whole game. Fernandez poses after his first career homer and now he's immature (not saying you said that but it's being said). I also disagree with Redmond not standing up for his guy. Just my 2 cents.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
I know hat you're saying, my issue is I don't think Fernandez had to apologize. Gattis did the same thing basically and Johnson was jawing the whole game. Fernandez poses after his first career homer and now he's immature (not saying you said that but it's being said). I also disagree with Redmond not standing up for his guy. Just my 2 cents.

No Fernandez spitting is what makes him immature not him posing...

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
It had to do with the spitting more than the pose. He is a rookie and should know better than to upstage his competition. He is already doing it with his pitching abilities no need to spit in an opposing players direction.
Why I didn't load up on his cards more I regret. He was so cheap of a buy in.

As for Johnson he came off a bigger ****** than Fernandez. He let all the other players get in front of him not just the umps.

As for the Braves they will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs so who cares.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
You guys are missing part of the story...Jose spit at or towards Chris Johnson as he rounded third...it may have not been on purpose, but it looked real bad. This was after exchanging words with Chris Johnson when the Braves got out in the top of the inning.

It's all good though...Jose actually tracked down the Braves players and apologized. I'm sure it's behind them.

This was AFTER Fernandez struck out JOhnson, and Johnson talked *CRAP the entire way back to the dugout, yelling at Fernandez. Johnson was the instigator......Not sure why people keep forgetting this.

Last edited:

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
This was AFTER Fernandez struck out JOhnson, and Johnson talked *CRAP the entire way back to the dugout, yelling at Fernandez. Johnson was the instigator......Not sure why people keep forgetting this.

This isn't true either...the words were exchanged after Johnson flew out to end the top half of the inning. I'm not saying Johnson was in the right either, but there are a lot of things that Fernandez does that can rub the purest of the game the wrong way. I'm not saying that's right...the game needs more people like Fernandez. Players that wear their emotions on their sleeves.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
This isn't true either...the words were exchanged after Johnson flew out to end the top half of the inning. I'm not saying Johnson was in the right either, but there are a lot of things that Fernandez does that can rub the purest of the game the wrong way. I'm not saying that's right...the game needs more people like Fernandez. Players that wear their emotions on their sleeves.

In my eyes, Johnson came off looking like a frat boy meathead after his little tirade.

Wtf does that have to do with the purity of the game...lol

mkhawk21

Oct 7, 2012
Mason City, IA
I thought it was awesome

This!! I had no problem with him getting his "payback" but hitting a homer and posing after it. Johnson is just lucky that Fernandez did it that way and didn't just smoke him with his heater!! It just sucks that no one in his organization (well the manager but still) stood up for him and instead threw him under the bus and made him apologize like they did. Wasn't a fan of how it was handled in the Marlins organization at all. But that is what makes the Marlins the Marlins I suppose.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
If I hit my first career homerun you bet your ass I'm going to watch it leave.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

But would you spit at a player that had been talkin head to you earlier in the game as you passed him trotting around the bases???

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
But would you spit at a player that had been talkin head to you earlier in the game as you passed him trotting around the bases???

I would be blowing kisses instead at the player as I rounded the bases.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Spitting at the base, and actually spitting AT the player with intent to hit him is a BIG difference

I think it is more disrespectful for a player to spit on a 3rd basemans base (or towards him) then a base runner walking across a pitchers mound going back to his dugout... And walking across a pitchers mound is an unwritten rule that caused some drama a few years ago...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think it is more disrespectful for a player to spit on a 3rd basemans base (or towards him) then a base runner walking across a pitchers mound going back to his dugout... And walking across a pitchers mound is an unwritten rule that caused some drama a few years ago...

It's all bullXXXX