Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How long do you honor an agreed upon deal for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
How long, as a seller, do you honor a quoted price / agreed upon deal? I have an issue on another board and I wanted to get opinions in regards to it.

Bottom line is that I made an agreement with someone to sell them a specific card for a specific price. The final message this last Monday was me agreeing to sell the specific card he wanted at an agreed upon price and me sending him my Paypal information in order for him to make the payment. I didn't hear back from him until Friday evening - in that message he apologized for "dragging" his feet and wanted to know if I still have the card.

Between Monday and Friday the card went up ~$75 from the price I was charging him based on multiple auctions that ended during that time - I believe this may have been a motivator for him trying to re-engage on the deal as most of the auctions didn't end until late in the week. My standard policy is to wait 72 hours for payment and unless other arrangements are made prior, that the deal is no longer valid.

As of Thursday night, I began to entertain other trade/sale offers on the same card.

Do you believe that I am in the right and that I no longer have an obligation to sell the card at the previously agreed upon price to that member or do you believe that I should still honor that deal?

Thanks.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I've gotten tired of ***** footing around deals over the years, so unless there is solid communication, I consider it a lost cause after about 24-36 hours. If they wanted the deal that bad, they would have atleast kept me n the know as to whatever is going on.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's been long enough. This isn't ebay and you're not a operating a lay away plan. I don't think you're in the wrong at all.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I have been waiting on a sale of a large $$$ lot of Juans to another collector a year ago.Agreed on a price in late February 2012. His step son died in June last year. 18 years old. Thats as far as i will go with that.He contacted me just after Christmas and asked if i still had the lot. I said i did.He has not gotten back to me since. Still have the lot, now another collector has inquired on a lot with some of the same cards.That was 2 weeks ago. What to do? Just sit and wait?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have been waiting on a sale of a large $$$ lot of Juans to another collector a year ago.Agreed on a price in late February 2012. His step son died in June last year. 18 years old. Thats as far as i will go with that.He contacted me just after Christmas and asked if i still had the lot. I said i did.He has not gotten back to me since. Still have the lot, now another collector has inquired on a lot with some of the same cards.That was 2 weeks ago. What to do? Just sit and wait?

Personally I'd contact the 1st "buyer" , set a timeline, say by March, to do something. If nothing accomplished by then, move on, at least you tried.
Ryan

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
He waited to long. Now if you agreed to wait X amount of days first, then honor it. Sounds like he was waiting to see what the others ended for, and he may have tried to get them cheaper than what you guys agreed on. Tell him he missed the boat, if still interested the price is X. Or tell him it's no longer available as someone else bought it.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
It's your card so you set the rules. As a buyer, it's their job to solidify the deal before the card increases in value. The buyer has learned a valuable lesson for lagging on a deal.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
Those knuckleheads on BO want to throw negatives around like cookies for no certain reason. Buyers and seller's over there give them out if they don't get there way like spoiled children, just like they are.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
you must be talking about taveras LOL. thats a long wait. the only reason someone waits that long w/o communicating is that they are gonna drop out. well the card goes up and now its a no brainer for them. I say screw em you snooze you loose time is money right.

How long, as a seller, do you honor a quoted price / agreed upon deal? I have an issue on another board and I wanted to get opinions in regards to it.

Bottom line is that I made an agreement with someone to sell them a specific card for a specific price. The final message this last Monday was me agreeing to sell the specific card he wanted at an agreed upon price and me sending him my Paypal information in order for him to make the payment. I didn't hear back from him until Friday evening - in that message he apologized for "dragging" his feet and wanted to know if I still have the card.

Between Monday and Friday the card went up ~$75 from the price I was charging him based on multiple auctions that ended during that time - I believe this may have been a motivator for him trying to re-engage on the deal as most of the auctions didn't end until late in the week. My standard policy is to wait 72 hours for payment and unless other arrangements are made prior, that the deal is no longer valid.

As of Thursday night, I began to entertain other trade/sale offers on the same card.

Do you believe that I am in the right and that I no longer have an obligation to sell the card at the previously agreed upon price to that member or do you believe that I should still honor that deal?

Thanks.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
The deal is good as long as you want it to be. It's your card and unless you have payment received, you can change your mind at any point. Same goes for the buyer, until they make payment they can change their mind too.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I just wanted to get outside perspective to ensure that I wasn't, in some way, being unscrupulous in my handling of this matter.

[MENTION=1897]jcmint[/MENTION] Yep, you got it, it was dealing with a Taveras, good guess ;)

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I would move on after 24-hours of non-payment unless something was worked out beforehand. People who need time to pay are fine, I often need a day or 2 to raise funds, but it needs to be negotiated as part of the deal.

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
If there is constant communication I will be more patient but there does come a time where they're just waiting your time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts