Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This was a great story. Back in August, the card below (1998 Bowman Chrome Gold #/50) got listed. It was the last Bowman card I needed to have every Bowman brand card made, and I had been looking for it for 10 years. I would have paid $80 for it. I messaged the seller very soon after it was listed, but carrs beat me to it and had already worked out a deal for the card. I was very upset I missed out on it, so I watched the seller's feedback until it got posted for the transaction, then found out carrs won it. I messaged him and he was so very cool about it. Of course he's doing the entire set, so I felt bad about trying to talk him out of it. But he was great and offered me the card for what he paid for it (didn't hold me hostage - class act). We agreed that if he ever got close to completing the set, or if either of us found another copy, I'd sell it back to him.

Fast forward to beginning of Jan, and another one got listed with a ridiculous $6.00 BIN price. I happened to see it minutes after it got listed, and snabbed it as fast as I could hit the button. True to my word, I sold the first copy back to carrs, but I decided to share in my good fortune and split the total cost with him, so we each got the card for $18.

Really an amazing turn of events, and one of my favorite stories from being an FCB member. Sometimes the collecting community really is fantastic - I personally am amazed at times at the generosity shown here.

Thanks again carrs for setting this in motion! So glad it worked out so well for both of us.

Well it is sweet to have this card back in the collection after being on loan to "the museum." ;) I have to say that this was one of the more entertaining and rewarding card acquisitions/sales/re-acquisitions I have had and one of the reasons that card collecting is so fun. Many thanks to Gracecollector for sending it back my way! "Only" 94 more to go on this set...
IMG-10_zpsc1138170.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
This was a great story. Back in August, the card below (1998 Bowman Chrome Gold #/50) got listed. It was the last Bowman card I needed to have every Bowman brand card made, and I had been looking for it for 10 years. I would have paid $80 for it. I messaged the seller very soon after it was listed, but carrs beat me to it and had already worked out a deal for the card. I was very upset I missed out on it, so I watched the seller's feedback until it got posted for the transaction, then found out carrs won it. I messaged him and he was so very cool about it. Of course he's doing the entire set, so I felt bad about trying to talk him out of it. But he was great and offered me the card for what he paid for it (didn't hold me hostage - class act). We agreed that if he ever got close to completing the set, or if either of us found another copy, I'd sell it back to him.

Fast forward to beginning of Jan, and another one got listed with a ridiculous $6.00 BIN price. I happened to see it minutes after it got listed, and snabbed it as fast as I could hit the button. True to my word, I sold the first copy back to carrs, but I decided to share in my good fortune and split the total cost with him, so we each got the card for $18.

Really an amazing turn of events, and one of my favorite stories from being an FCB member. Sometimes the collecting community really is fantastic - I personally am amazed at times at the generosity shown here.

Thanks again carrs for setting this in motion! So glad it worked out so well for both of us.

That is very cool. It's awesome that it worked out for both of you.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1994PacificSilverPrisms.jpg
1994PacificSilverPrismsCircular.jpg

My notes on these are that 8000 were produced of the triangular, and that the circulars were 1:1 retail.

Just to be clear here, the original Griffey shown with gold foil is the "Homerun Leaders" insert and did not have two variations. Homerun Leaders had a print run of 8000. The Ripken, Grace and Maddux shown are from the "Jewels of the Crown" insert set, and have 8000 Triangular hobby cards, and 1 per pack retail Circular. Hobby is significantly harder to find. And Bagwell is in Jewels of the Crown, so does have two variations. He wasn't in Homerun Leaders.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just to be clear here, the original Griffey shown with gold foil is the "Homerun Leaders" insert and did not have two variations. Homerun Leaders had a print run of 8000. The Ripken, Grace and Maddux shown are from the "Jewels of the Crown" insert set, and have 8000 Triangular hobby cards, and 1 per pack retail Circular. Hobby is significantly harder to find. And Bagwell is in Jewels of the Crown, so does have two variations. He wasn't in Homerun Leaders.

I've got the two Bagwell patterns but had never seen anything with gold foil like the Griffey. I have an older print out of a Beckett checklist for all Bagwell cards(circa 2007ish) and it's been a great help. Especially with the newer cards and listing the print runs in some of the sets where there is literally a thousand parallels. But it misses some things too and hardly, if ever, accounts for variations. So you never know if you're missing something. I always try to write info in if need be.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
It's been a while since I've been able to add a 90s card to my PC. I used to own this before and offered a collector either Griffey for ~$160 or Piazza for ~$30 and he took the Griffey. After finding a 2nd Piazza, I definitely wish I wouldn't have offered the Griffey. It looked Mint-Gem Mint too. Didn't think I'd ever get it back again but I won it at auction yesterday for about the same I sold it for.

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWq)DsBRBbbcYyMg~~60_57.JPG

SGC is the only brand where I've ever damaged a card busting the slab so I'll have to be extra careful if I decide to pop this one.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I started a seperate thread for these already but they belong in here too.
scan0010-1_zps43b0eefc.jpg

scan0015_zpscc8b5458.jpg

scan0014_zps4d51bd3a.jpg

Not to rain on your parade but are those post cards legit? I've seen em up for a few players but never purchased any because they didn't look all that real.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have the Thomas proofs from the Post set, and I'd say they are 100% legit...however, I'd also say they didn't leave the print house via legit outlets. Definitely sheet cut cards that were slipped out the back door.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
It's been a while since I've been able to add a 90s card to my PC. I used to own this before and offered a collector either Griffey for ~$160 or Piazza for ~$30 and he took the Griffey. After finding a 2nd Piazza, I definitely wish I wouldn't have offered the Griffey. It looked Mint-Gem Mint too. Didn't think I'd ever get it back again but I won it at auction yesterday for about the same I sold it for.

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWq)DsBRBbbcYyMg~~60_57.JPG

SGC is the only brand where I've ever damaged a card busting the slab so I'll have to be extra careful if I decide to pop this one.

Nice Griffey "rookie" !!!

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah the post "proofs" seem legit to me. They have the correct card stock compared to the normal issue and the back of the card is identical to the normal issue. I would agree with [MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] that the are backdoored sheets that have been cut and sold on the secondary market. I thought they looked cool so I bought them.

Members online

Latest posts