Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors- A new discovery and story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

So recently I had an interesting turn of events that I thought I would share. A few weeks ago a long time Ozzie Smith collector decided he would sell off his collection on eBay. There were four truly rare cards in his collection that I still needed for my PC. The nice thing he did on his eBay listing was actually list the rarer cards and followed that up the next day with videos of himself flipping through the cards in their binders.

While I was reading his description of rare cards I noticed a particular card he listed as,

"1995 Pinnacle Pin Card, possible 1 of 1. David Justice single copy only other one known to exist. Check out the SCD book."

After collecting Ozzie for over 25 years I am rarely surprised anymore to come across a card I don't have, let alone one I've never seen or heard of. My first reaction was this was one of the two 1995 Pinnacle pin related cards issued that year and he must be mistaken. I quickly reconsidered this because I had become familiar with this knowledgeable collector over the years via email correspondence and didn't think he'd make this sort of error. So I waited until the next day and watched as he flipped past the card. That is when I started to get excited.

I emailed the seller and asked him if he had more information on this card and he sent me this copy from the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards listing: davejist_zps05d5ba76.jpg

The seller wasn't really interested in piecing his collection out and wants to sell it as a whole but he is asking way too much in my opinion (believe me Iunderstand and would start high too). So I just accepted this was a card I would just have to know is out there and never own...

Act II of the story.

One of my favorite websites is a baseball card blog written by Bob Lemke (check it out). For those of you that aren't familiar with that name, Bob was the long time editor of the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and is literally one of the most knowledgeable sources on baseball cards on the planet. I frequent his blog often, and just a couple days after I had given up on the Ozzie I probably would never own, he had an interesting article about that very card. My assumption before reading the article was that he was going to reference the card from the above mentioned eBay auction but my assumption was incorrect.

See blog here:
http://boblemke.blogspot.com/search?q=ozzie

To sum up the article, Mr. Lemke was contacted by a long time dealer who had purchased a large collection. In this collection were a few of these Ozzie Smith cards and he wanted to know if, (because Bob had actually done the write up for SCD years earlier), he had any new information about this set. Bob did not have any new information but theorized that all of the players in the Pinnacle pin promotion probably had cards like the David Justice card pictured in the SCD, but no others had ever surfaced, until now. He also went on to write that these were most likely released out the back door after Pinnacle’s bankruptcy in 1998.

Again, I started to get excited.

I decided to contact the dealer who owned the Ozzie cards and see if any or all were for sale. He wrote me back and said that if he hadn't decided to sell them but because I was the first person to respond to Bob's blog he would sell me one and I was able to work out a deal for one of them.

Because I focus my collection only on the years he actually played it is very rare that I get to add a card to my checklist/collection. To add one that is 18 years old is very gratifying. My only regret is I only had a few weeks to pine over, and search for, the newly discovered card. Sometimes the search is the best part.

For those of you who have players in the '95 Pinnacle Pin set keep an eye out,evidence suggests they very well may have a card from this set. Sorry.

*Interesting side not*
After I had sent payment out I received and email from the dealer (who is out of San Diego, CA) and he commented that he had grown up and went to school in the same small town in Illinois I live in. In fact, my kids go to the same school he did a number of years ago. Sometimes I think we're just meant to own certain cards. Extremely happy with this new card!

Here it is. The scan does not do it justice. I tried multiple times to scan this so the gold lettering at the top would stand out to no avail.
Thanks for reading.
rare2_zpsa4efb66d.jpgrareb_zps426bb2a8.jpg

Last edited:

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I love stuff like this. I am very excited for you. Congratulations. The card is amazing.

On a different note, did you get the SCP Auction catalog that featured all of Ozzie's items? I have a copy if you need it.

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm hoping to find a Frank Thomas before it's over with...I'm assuming it exists somewhere. Congrats on a helluva a pick up!

1995PinnaclePinsCompleteSet.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow... thanks for sharing. Best post I've read on FCB in awhile. That's the first 1990's card I've never heard about in quite some time. A true "bigfoot" card, one you hear rumors about but never see. It will be interesting if any more surface.

Any idea what the "TPP" logo stands for? I'd guess this might be a "Team Pinnacle ______" reference. But am kinda stumped as to what exactly TTP stood for.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
That card is SWEET!! I saw the big collection listed on ebay due to a favorite search hit and wondered about the card as well. Great addition!! I would love to see more of those come out of other players.

And Gracecollector, I'd guess TPP as Team Pinnacle Pin??? Maybe.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
That card is SWEET!! I saw the big collection listed on ebay due to a favorite search hit and wondered about the card as well. Great addition!! I would love to see more of those come out of other players.

And Gracecollector, I'd guess TPP as Team Pinnacle Pin??? Maybe.

Yeah, hast to be Team Pinnacle Pin. The TPP logo matches closely the 1995 Team Pinnacle logo...

Pinnacle%20Team%20Pinnacle%203%20Dufex.jpg

and the redemption cards clearly state "Team Pinnacle Collector Pin"

justice+pin+card+b.JPG

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I really appreciate all the kind comments. It means a lot coming from other player collectors that appreciate cards like this one. This was a very exciting card for me to acquire. 25 years on this player collection and I still get a great deal of joy out of it.

Cbrandtw- I appreciate the offer on the catalog but I was quick to pick one up. Auction itself depressed the hell out of me (mostly
because I couldn't afford anything). :lol:

Gracecollector- I am sure it is Team Pinnacle Pin as well. Thanks for the comments.

shahekee

Feb 19, 2011
[MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] I sent you a PM, well I think I did, but it's not showing up in my sent. Let me know if it's not there please.

Members online