Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brandon Phillips lashes out at reporter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I spent a summer with him when he was in A ball. He is a good guy.

Everything is heard about Phillips to this point had been extremely positive. I don't know what might have triggered the response but I'm pretty sure there's something (whether reasonable or unreasonable) that triggered this.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Idiots [even those anointed as members of the media] think they can say any damn thing about players [i.e. snark] without consequence when not ballwashing their favorites.

Unlike most of the people who snark on the interest, some of these media guys actually have to face the players they may not like but still need access to.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
A couple thoughts;

1. C. Trent is full of himself much like Mr. Phillips. I mean the guy isn't writing classics, (C.S. Lewis etc...) so there is no need to go by your initial.

2. C. Trent is trying to hard to be Hal McCoy (HOF writer for the Reds).

3. Reds lost two emotional games to their bitter rivals.

4. Brandon can spout off at any time. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows him on twitter.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
After he made his Lunchable comments toward LaRussa, this fan brought him some. And he gave her a signed bat or something, and played along.

Yeah he can get under your skin, but I don't think he is as bad as some people try to make him out to be.

003-e1303753053239.jpg

RedsFan2993

Jul 14, 2010
Brandon is great with fans and in the community, he just has a very strange relationship with the media. I was disappointed he made his issues with C Trent so public.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's ridiculous that the media can criticize teams and players nonstop, but when players criticize the media, it becomes a big story.

Phillips may have went a little overboard with the cursing, but that reporter is apparently overly critical of the Reds.
I'd be pissed too if a reporter was being negative all of the time, especially when the team's having a good season.

Some reporters are so hypocritical and think only their opinions matter.
I'd know, since I've been a TV news producer for 15 years and have dealt with countless egotisitical reporters.

Last edited:

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
It's ridiculous that the media can criticize teams and players nonstop, but when players criticize the media, it becomes a big story.

Phillips may have went a little overboard with the cursing, but that reporter is apparently overly critical of the Reds.
I'd be pissed too if a reporter was being negative all of the time, especially when the team's having a good season.

Some reporters are so hypocritical and think only their opinions matter.
I'd know, since I've been a TV news producer for 15 years and have dealt with countless egotisitical reporters.

Not only that. Reporters get so absorbed and hide behind the "freedom of the press and speech" and don't ever know when to stop. Some of the rudest people I've ever met in my life are reporters

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The mother of one of his children works with my girlfriend. I hear good things about Brandon. He may be a bit emo at times, but he does have a good heart. I don't get why people dislike him simply for speaking his mind. He is a person just like us.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
The mother of one of his children works with my girlfriend. I hear good things about Brandon. He may be a bit emo at times, but he does have a good heart. I don't get why people dislike him simply for speaking his mind. He is a person just like us.

Wrap it up from now on Mr. Phillips.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Similiar thing happened with J.P. Arencibia earlier this summer. He's having a horrible season, with a BA under .220 and several defensive blunders, and analysts Gregg Zaun and Dirk Hayhurst called him on his poor play. J.P. gets into a pissing match with them on Twitter and on local sports radio.

Now Arencibia is on the "most hated" list when previously he was a fan favorite and known for his work in the community work (which he still does).

Seems like the media have nobody to answer to went it comes to how harshly they criticize players. As alluded to earlier, they cry freedom of speech and think they can spew anything. Some argue that it's the players who supposedly represent the organization and show take the high road.

I think players should be able to speak up and defend themselves, so long as they're professional about it. Doesn't seem like Phillips was, neither was JPA.

- Rodrick

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
[MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION] I never know if your posts are legit and sincere or ADD-Driven and trolly (dont get me wrong youre one of my favorites here)

The guy on the left looks like the kid who ran around the playground and tripped me and my friends and pulled our hair, then cry wolf to the Recess Lady when someone called him chunky.

Since no one gets me, if the guy in the left is deceased or a member of the board, disregard this post

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
The guy on the left is C Trent the reporter. Jbhofman is pretty spot on with what he says about him. Phillips did act unprofessional and there is no excuse. I will add the media in Cincy does like to rip up their teams and players. The teams should close the locker room to the media and the community should support the teams not the media especially the members trying to use Cincy as stepping stool to a bigger market.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Not only that. Reporters get so absorbed and hide behind the "freedom of the press and speech" and don't ever know when to stop. Some of the rudest people I've ever met in my life are reporters

While I agree to a point, this gives him the write to call him a Fat Mfer? Sorry Brandon, but grow the F up you little baby. You get paid $10+ million per year to play baseball, BUT ALSO TO HANDLE THE CRITICISM! GROW UP and have a little class. Oh, and guess what? Your OBP does suck Brandon, can you handle it?

Members online