Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Assessing Interest and Feedback from Community - FCB Nightly Auctions Via Chat Room

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I am interested in trying out nightly auctions here on FCB via the chat stream. What is this, you say?

Well, when AIM was all the rage some 7 or 8 years ago, I held a few AIM driven auctions. I remember posting a couple messages on the Beckett boards to see who was interested and a bunch of people sent me a message with their AIM handle asking me to IM them when the auction started. So I did this and got about 20-25 people into the chat room and I held "going once, going twice, gone," auctions, very successfully.

I kept tabs of what sold and for how much and to whom and then sent paypal invoices out after the conclusion of the auction, got paid immediately, avoided eBay fees, and shipped immediately to the winners. It was great.

How could this translate to FCB Chat? We could set a time each night for the nightly FCB Auctions. I think this would be slow at first, but once people see that it works, I bet the draw would be quite good. It might even start to suck people in from other places. FCB Chat really doesn't strike me as anything different then AIM, so I feel we could have some success with this. But what is even better than AIM is that FCB is central to us all and we all are on here daily, so the advertising for our items could be done ahead of time. If alot of people were interested in auctioning off their stuff, we could set up a schedule each night for people and a time slot for them to run their auctions. If they don't show, we just bump up to the next person or we could simply limit it to one person per night. It can be as little or as many cards as they would like to auction off.

How it works:

The person posts a card. Bidders in the chat room bid (ONLY BID NO CHATTING!!! - can open another chat room for that since there are many "rooms"). When the bidding slows, the auctioneer says "going once!" if someone bids after this, the auctioneer gives it a few seconds to see if anyone else jumps in with a bid. If not, then he says "going once!" again, if no bids, then he says "going twice!" and if no bid happen before he says "GONE!" then that is the end of the bidding for the card and it goes to the last person who made a bid.

Quite simple really. Instant sales of your cards, no eBay, no fees, and no stress.

So, for example, I would say, Bill Menard is going to be hosting an auction in the Chat Room tonight at 7:30pm EST. The auction items will include a mix of modern day inserts, autographs, and game used, mainly from products like Bowman Chrome, basic Topps and Topps Chrome. I estimate approximately 20 items. Payments will need to be made by paypal and please only bid if you want the cards and have funds available to pay at the conclusion of the auction. Shipping is $2.00 flat no matter how many items you win.

Again - that was an EXAMPLE - it's not happening tonight!

Feedback, thoughts, reactions? Please share!!! I'm super excited about this right now and not sure why it took me so long to put two and two together to even propose this. I realize this probably needs to be considered by admin first, but I would encourage them to think about it seriously and not just hastily shoot this down. I see it as a real opportunity to grow the sites user base as people like this kind of stuff as evidenced by the demand I've seen on other sites for things like user hosted time specific "quicksales", etc.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I haven't spent a ton of time thinking on the idea but my first thought is that it might be worth picking a date a little while in advance to start this and try to get the word out so that we get a nice crowd. My concern with just jumping In is that only a few people come to bid, items sell for cheap, and sellers get discouraged. By taking time to get the word out (and maybe trying to get a couple of nice items to be auctioned to draw interest) I think it could be fun and successful.

I'm also trying to figure out if this could work in conjunction with the virtual card show we are having on Feb 9th... If it could be coordinated it might be a good time to launch this...

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for the immediate support of the idea! Maybe that would be a good idea to coincide with the cardshow, but I also worry that it might be too much going on at once. Maybe conclude the card show with an auction or something to keep people from getting to scattered.

Where is the thread about the card show on the 9th? I'd like to read about this too.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Just still thinking out loud - The first couple should be hosted by people who have some items that are highly desirable by many - so that the auctions can get some steam. I mean, if we come out with 20 2011 Topps base insert cards, well, we are doomed from the start!

Maybe something like 20 BC Autos would be a better starting block as these are highly desirable items by many of our users. Of course, it might be hard to convince someone to test this with such a lot, but I bet even with two prospectors showing up, there wouldn't be much profit loss overall. I would do it if needed for the test run and starting this off.

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Because I'm trying to find something that could be a new niche for FCB, I'd rather try it live chat. I'm sure it could work in transaction forums but it would be a bit too slow for me and frankly if that was the approach, I would not use FCB transaction forum for this as the audience is much greater on other sites with more fluid action.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Because I'm trying to find something that could be a new niche for FCB, I'd rather try it live chat. I'm sure it could work in transaction forums but it would be a bit too slow for me and frankly if that was the approach, I would not use FCB transaction forum for this as the audience is much greater on other sites with more fluid action.

I agree in terms of action but if you build it and people know its coming, the action should be more fluid. Im on another site and know exactly what you mean by action.

Either way, i would try to get in front of a computer for it...

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I think it could work. I'd help in any way you could use some. I've been thinking of ways to use the chat, as well. I think if we could figure out ways to get it going, it would be a huge draw to fcb, crap, its why people still use aol. Chats, can be great. I would also throw a few lower end bc autos, for the first go, if needed.

LMK,

Greg

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the immediate support of the idea! Maybe that would be a good idea to coincide with the cardshow, but I also worry that it might be too much going on at once. Maybe conclude the card show with an auction or something to keep people from getting to scattered.

Where is the thread about the card show on the 9th? I'd like to read about this too.

I'm not sure that people aren't comfortable doing both at once (since the deals on the trade boards would likely be a little slower (but theoretically we could have it right afterwards and try to funnel the traffic from there to the auctions.)

Also trying to find out if we can fit some live box breaks somewhere here, either during the show or another time...

This sounds like this could really be a lot of fun. And I do agree that we should get some initial items out there that are highly collectible to help get people coming to the auctions.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Maybe @allincards Andrew can have some boxes ready to go for those that would like to have wax busted, if he is going to be around that afternoon/evening?

If not, maybe [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] Chris can have someone from the shop avail to sell wax and do some rips, but I don't think people trust anyone more than Andrew on here, so he would be most ideal.

How about we schedule an auction for 5:00pm EST, if the show is at 3:00pm EST? Of course, I'm completely open to suggestions.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe @allincards Andrew can have some boxes ready to go for those that would like to have wax busted, if he is going to be around that afternoon/evening?

If not, maybe [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] Chris can have someone from the shop avail to sell wax and do some rips, but I don't think people trust anyone more than Andrew on here, so he would be most ideal.

How about we schedule an auction for 5:00pm EST, if the show is at 3:00pm EST? Of course, I'm completely open to suggestions.

I've been in touch with Andrew and we are trying to see what can be arranged. The show is scheduled for 3:00-6:00. Do you think having auctions the last hour of the show (5:00) would be better than after the show (6:00)? Would it make sense to consider having raffles every hour say for 10 minutes? (Say 3:30-3:40, 4:30-4:40, 5:30-5:40) to mix things up (or so you think it will result in less people there?). (Just throwing ideas out so feel free to let me know if you think something is a poor idea)

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Just wanted to say that I think this is a great idea and I would definitely be down for the auctions and box breaks. It would be nice to know what is going to be auctioned off that night, a preview of cards or boxes would be great and help gather interest.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
What about a reserve price on the auctions? A seller may get a burr in his saddle if he puts a $50.00 card up for auction, he's looking for at least $40.00 but the auction ends at $5.00. If it is entered into the auction, the seller knows going in that he may loose money?

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts