Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1968 Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
So a father of one of Alies classmates asked me to come see his "box of baseball cards" that he had put away. He is one of those that are in the mindset that he is sitting on a goldmine. So I went over to check it out.

He pulls out a shoebox and in it are loose random cards, nothing to write about. Except that half of it are cards from 1968 Topps. Cepeda, Clemente, Yastrzemski, Seaver, Mays, Dreysdale, etc etc... All loose, floating around this box. The Yaz was in shambles, and a few had folded corners. None of them in Great shape. Mostly "good" shape on some. I didnt see a Mantle, but he did have Nolan Ryan. Now I have the Nolan Ryan.

I have never seen one or held one, and even though its not in excellent, or very good condition, I wanted it. It has some residue on the face of it. He said it was from the gum in the packs. To me, I think its from whatever they used to seal the packs back in the day. I wasnt sure of what kind of money one in its condition would fetch, or if I would even sell it. He said if I wanted it for twenty bucks, he would also throw in his Roger Clemens Rookie and Tony Gwynn Rookie. Like the rest of the cards, they have soft corners and surface wear. I cried inside when i saw them, sitting unprotected in this cardboard box. The only saving grace was that none of these cards were being held together with rubber bands.

My question for you guys is this, even though most of these cards have soft corners, and wouldnt grade higher than good, would you guys offer to buy the 1968 cards? In my mind, the only value may come from set builders needing certain cards. Please provide some insight...

And heres pics of the Nolan Ryan...

Scan_20150718_zps6g2awk5s.jpg

Scan_20150718%202_zps2tzapx7l.jpg

[h=3][/h]

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
If it was a decent price I'd do it. I've bought several fair-good lots in the past but I had planned to put together a set which is now on the back burner. I am always a fan of "loved" but not "abused" vintage. Also sometimes you can take a nylon stocking and gently rub the surface of the card to remove gum or wax stains. I did that trick to revive some of the 69 topps that looked similar to the Ryan.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If it was a decent price I'd do it. I've bought several fair-good lots in the past but I had planned to put together a set which is now on the back burner. I am always a fan of "loved" but not "abused" vintage. Also sometimes you can take a nylon stocking and gently rub the surface of the card to remove gum or wax stains. I did that trick to revive some of the 69 topps that looked similar to the Ryan.

Thanks for the tip will, I'll try that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Are you kidding me Nate! Damn!! I wouldn't care what condition it's in...::drools:: [MENTION=2685]69MetsFan[/MENTION]

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
The corners and centering look pretty good on that. I bet the stain between their hats will wipe off with a soft cloth. It looks like a solid PSA 4 to me if the stain goes away.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is actually a little shameful that a card in the condition shown is given little consideration because it is not "MINT". Cards can be an investment, if you have the right cards and they are in pristine condition, but for many they are simply a hobby to enjoy and something like that card is a wonderful addition for just about anyone in those shoes. Until I bought a signed copy not that long ago, i didn't have the card and would have easily picked up one like yours. I bet similar cards still top $100 in that condition.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Mrmopar, don't get me wrong. I am thrilled to have this card, even with its flaws. My main purpose of this thread was twofold:

To show the Ryan rookie and see if anyone had advice regarding the surface

And to get the fcb opinion on the rest of the cards in his box. He wants to make money on the cards he bought many years ago and has been keeping them put away, but if he is looking for a quick big amount, I don't see it. Not in the condition they are in.

Maybe I should borrow then and scan them all for us here to give more insight. ..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Yes I have used the nylon sock trick for years. I once bought a '68 Topps Mantle in that similar condition, maybe a little better, about three years ago from some guy that brought some cards to my LCS. We were just hanging out and the owner of my LCS let us feast and we all picked what we wanted. I ended up getting the Mantle for $18. I kind of made a big deal about the wax stain on the front of the card, knowing I can get it off with ease.

Members online

Latest posts