Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
@magicpapa

Beautiful :) What year is that one?

its what the other one would have looked like if Donruss would not have went belly up in 1998
"Donruss had plans for extending the Crusade set into 1999 and beyond, however with the bankruptcy of their parent Pinnacle Brands, those plans never came to fruition. However, in the years since a number of Crusades with card numbers above 130 have surfaced. It is that many of these cards were "backdoored" after the Pinnacle Brands bankruptcy."

AK11

May 24, 2010
Hi guys. For those who don't venture to the box break section, I just pulled this out of a box:

I am still in shock :)

AK11

May 24, 2010
Yeah, it's a keeper. BGS has never graded one gem mint, only 3 mints exist. Being fresh out of the pack, I may have a shot at a gold label.

HawkeyeFan

Jan 13, 2012
Iowa
I can't upload photo's but a few more Griffey cameo's I have are

1991 UD Ken Griffey Sr #572
1991 UD Greg Briley #479 (Griffey in the photo on the back of the card)
1996 Score Jay Buhner

I'm certain you probobly know of all of those already though. Does anyone else have any more Cameo's? I think it is a pretty interesting sub catagory to collect.

He seems to be on a lot of Buhner cards
hawkeyefan-albums-griffey-inserts-picture16811-1997-collectors-choice-333.JPG

BMaggs

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle, Washington
[MENTION=6878]HawkeyeFan[/MENTION]

I've seen the 91 Donruss Sheet a few times on ebay, it's really an interesting item. I'm not sure about the history of it, or why that card didn't make it into the standard set, I like that photo more than the regular cards. If you are looking to sell it, I would be interested.

Brandon

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
A couple of oddities I picked up. Any of you guys know anything about these Donruss sheets?
hawkeyefan-albums-griffey-inserts-picture17766-1991-donruss-1-ad-sheet.jpg

2001 Tradition
hawkeyefan-albums-griffey-inserts-picture17764-2001-fleer-tradition-uncut-promotional.JPG

Do you have an available scan of the back of that 1991 Donruss sheet? It is blank backed or marked as samples in any way? That's a cool find.

HawkeyeFan

Jan 13, 2012
Iowa
Do you have an available scan of the back of that 1991 Donruss sheet? It is blank backed or marked as samples in any way? That's a cool find.

It has a blank back, and it's almost like it's a page from a magazine, not cardboard stock. I wonder if they made another with other players or another color of border for series 2. I also like that shot of Griffey better than those that made the set.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It has a blank back, and it's almost like it's a page from a magazine, not cardboard stock. I wonder if they made another with other players or another color of border for series 2. I also like that shot of Griffey better than those that made the set.

Could be a sheet like some if those from the Fleer bankruptcy? kinda like test sheets, but paper stock. ChandyGirl13 or somthing like that has them. I know Nolan (ClarkFan) has at least one sheet with a Clark image from a set that never was released.

Ryan

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
And here is my weekly insert/parallel post

refract.jpg

And yes...the Gems Gold will be going to PSA with my next batch sent out :) Not sure what I'll do if it's not a 10 haha.

From a PC standpoint here and possibly as just a card collector, I must say that the refractors with out the peel; mind you that that peel does in fact say "Remove protective coating" look 100% better, especially slabbed forever in a PSA/BGS case.

/opinion

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
And here is my weekly insert/parallel post

View attachment 17787

And yes...the Gems Gold will be going to PSA with my next batch sent out :) Not sure what I'll do if it's not a 10 haha.

From a PC standpoint here and possibly as just a card collector, I must say that the refractors with out the peel; mind you that that peel does in fact say "Remove protective coating" look 100% better, especially slabbed forever in a PSA/BGS case.

/opinion

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I peel mine as well. Look amazing without.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
@AUTaxMan

The argument I see floating around sometimes is that the cards are less likely to grade a 9.5 or 10 - which ha been debunked numerous times. I believe that with the coating they grade the coating as the surface of the card.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
Wife bought me a surprise..2012 Gypsy Queen auto!Pics tomorrow!

She's a keeper!

My girlfriend attempts to show interest at times with my collection but couldn't care less, she tries though so it's cute but I wouldn't want her spending more than 20 bucks on a card for me as I'd be deathly afraid of what Griffey it was.

Could only imagine the horror of her saying "I got you a Griffey auto numbered to 100!" and then seeing it's Sr.

Heh, or even worse a 2012 sticker Panini auto with no Mariners Logo :eek:

Latest posts