Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Ridiculously overpriced 90's inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
My question is does the 90's insert guy on eBay really think these cards are worth this much or is it just a way for him to show off all of his rare 90's inserts while hoping someone pays these "Ridiculous" prices? I love when the auctions say 50% off. 50% off of an item that is STILL 8x or more overpriced isn't much of a deal. He just bought the card for less than $200 in an auction. Does he really think it is worth that much. IMO it doesn't help the value of the 90's inserts just hurts them. Not saying that this seller doesn't have great 90's inserts, I am just tired of seeing the same cards year after year that will never sell. My question is what is the point?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDY-JOHNS...997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c815965d

(My disclaimer) I have listed items before that I didn't know if I really wanted to sell, so I list them well above market, but this guy does it on EVERY ITEM!!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
For guys like that, it's part fishing expedition, part trying to move the market, and part long-term investment strategy. He seems to sell most of his stuff as best offers, although there are some completed sales at full price ($3100 for Steph Curry 1/1 Crusade?). I assume the guy doesn't have to turn over this month's purchases to pay for next month's like a regular retail operation. It's more like he has a really nice collection and is willing to part with pieces for the right price, just like any of us. It's just that his right price is a lot higher than almost anyone else's. And someone somewhere might someday pay it.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
If you take a look at the completed auctions, some of the cards are selling, and for extremely high/ridiculous prices. I guess that some player collectors are just crazy enough to pay what these sellers want. If you're in no hurry to sell, have quality cards, eventually somebody is going to break down and overpay if they want it bad enough. I still prefer hunting ebay for good deals though!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Although the % can be crazy at times , if you either can afford to wait if your looking to sell, or don't really want to sell but would at the right offer, I am not sure why you wouldn't follow a strategy like this to some degree. If you don't want to see the listings, just block the ID. I for one, although it may suck when you can't get an item you want for the price you want, never have an issue with people pricing cards at whatever they want. Like I said if it "harms" you in some way , just block the results of the sellers you get irritated with.

Ryan

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
As I mentioned in my disclaimer, I do it also to some degree as it is a strategy that if you can get higher than market, good, but it is just sooooooooo high that it kind of blows my mind. Also, the 50% off "SALE" prices make me laugh. Do people really think the are getting a good deal?
If someone offered me an 1oz of gold at a 50% discount but the initial price was 10K still isn't much of a sale.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Although the % can be crazy at times , if you either can afford to wait if your looking to sell, or don't really want to sell but would at the right offer, I am not sure why you wouldn't follow a strategy like this to some degree. If you don't want to see the listings, just block the ID. I for one, although it may suck when you can't get an item you want for the price you want, never have an issue with people pricing cards at whatever they want. Like I said if it "harms" you in some way , just block the results of the sellers you get irritated with.

Ryan

Ryan, it doesn't harm me in any way, I just don't get the point of pricing so darn high, some of these cards have been listed for like 5 straight years with no movement. Let me phrase it another way, does it really help the market for these cards? Some of the appeal of these cards is their rarity and when people see one pop on eBay after a long time they get excited. When the same card is on their for 5 straight years doesn't it lose some of its luster? I almost feel it has the counter effect. IMO

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
How do you go about blocking a seller? I'm also tired of seeing his over inflated cards in my search.

Thanks,
Ron

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ryan, it doesn't harm me in any way, I just don't get the point of pricing so darn high, some of these cards have been listed for like 5 straight years with no movement. Let me phrase it another way, does it really help the market for these cards? Some of the appeal of these cards is their rarity and when people see one pop on eBay after a long time they get excited. When the same card is on their for 5 straight years doesn't it lose some of its luster? I almost feel it has the counter effect. IMO

I personally don't see how inflated priced cards not moving has a market effect. I would say that would only happen if the items were priced at what a lot of people considered the market for said item or just above and they sat there stale. IMO you have to look at this type of seller as using eBay as his own markgrace.com or thrill22.com site but eBay makes you attach a price. I like to view other collections, say 16christensen16 or mlballtimegreats HOF type cards , I can see the pics, know that they really aren't for sale and just think some of the things some eBay sellers have are just for viewing pleasure, it's just displayed on a marketplace platform.

Ryan

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
They're probably just waiting for the market to correct itself. How often do you see a card with similar serial-numbering or graded population go for similar prices... of guys who may never hit .250 in the Majors or end their careers with an ERA over 5. In my view, this card SHOULD be a $1,500+ card when I see so many other cards that sell for this much that will be about 1/10th of that in the near future. This price for this particular card doesn't bother me. At least it's a Pop 1 of an already rare/popular card. This is a rare card of a Hall of Famer who is arguably the best left-handed pitcher the game has ever seen. But yeah, he does have some ridiculous prices. But he had to buy those cards and they weren't cheap, so it's unlikely he's making much money with this sales technique.

Last edited:

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I know that seller from ebay he has bought from others for a low end price say $500.00 and then marks it up to $3,500.00 and will not let it go unless he gets 4 times what he paid for it. Some cards I can see if you put a high price tag but all seems crazy. But then again if people keep buying he can buy more on auction and jack the price up again. I have also seen Buy It Now work against people. The 1999 Starquest Gold Jeter a guy had a few years back with a $250.00 price I offered him $200.00 he passed listed at 99 cent and it sold on auction for $310.00. I still to this day wish I paid the Buy It Now Price on that card since I am still missing it. But this guy is way over priced I will not buy from him.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
They're probably just waiting for the market to correct itself. How often do you see a card with similar serial-numbering or graded population go for similar prices... of guys who may never hit .250 in the Majors or end their careers with an era over 5. In my view, this card SHOULD be a $1,500+ card when I see so many other cards that sell for this much that will be about 1/10th of that in the near future. This price for this particular card doesn't bother me. At least it's a Pop 1 of an already rare/popular card. This is a rare card of a Hall of Famer who is arguably the best left-handed pitcher the game has ever seen.

As for these cards.. they are all wrapped in plastic casing and 90% will grade out at least 9.5. Should it be a $1,600 card. I am biased as I heavily collect this set and I say YES, But as has been hashed out a million times. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay and this card has sold twice now in the past 6 months, the most recent auction sold for $218. After being listed as a BIN for around 350 for a month with no takers. That is where I would question the List price. Then again, as has been noted on this thread, probably just sharing the card for viewing pleasure.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I guess I should also say that if someone is willing to spend the crazy amount of money they do for Omar Vizquel (No disrespect) then, heck, why not list for these prices!! You never know

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
He has a few Canseco I need locked up for crazy high :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts