Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Discussion - 1972 Topps Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some people love card backs and others skim right past them. I am somewhere in the middle. I can't read most of them anymore without strong light and reading glasses!!

Here is something you may not know about the 1972 Topps card backs, at least some of them. Several small puzzles can be made with certain cards. Definitely a much more interesting back to view than most.

Attachments

• 724.jpg
    724.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 726.jpg
    726.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 728.jpg
    728.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Seaver-puzzle.jpg
    Seaver-puzzle.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 23

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Phils fans…this was one of the last trophy cards I added to my collection and it was even more difficult to find a signed copy. What a great looking card and a high number to boot, which is probably why it came to my collection so late in the game.

Even now, so many of the high series cards are so fresh to me when I see them because I have so few of them. They are not restrictively priced, but my general lack of interest in this set design in general, coupled with the fact that I got the cards I wanted early on, left me not seeking out the higher series cards for the most part. That is nice when you can look through a stack of older cards and think in your mind that you have never seen that particular card before.

Awesome looking card! Being a Phillies fan I really liked Montanez back in the early 70's. That's one of the two Phillies cards I still need to finish my Phillies 72 set. The other one is #768 Denny Doyle. The search is on. Thanks!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
OK, I'm building this set. Not sure in what form. Having a complete PSA 8 1975 set, for years I've been wanting to build another but couldn't decide which. Another 70s set is going to have a lot of overlap in players. But none of the 60s sets really inspire me. And 50s and older sets are just plain expensive. Building it raw, I'd feel very picky over condition. I'd want NM-Mt quality, but that's hard to do these days, as they're largely slabbed already. Will give it deep thought.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who doesn't want a nostril shot on their baseball card? Hmmm, we need a shot of Swoboda for his new baseball card but we don't have any photos of him with the Yanks. How can we fool the kids into thinking he is really on the Yankees now? Let's just shoot him from a different angle and then you won't see the offensive logo. Wait, he was on the Expos last season and not the Mets? Does Topps even bother to venture into Canada for photos? Let's just us an old shot and call it a day.

Attachments

• 37667_942x1596.jpg
    37667_942x1596.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 19

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So, what's your favorite trophy card? I'm kind of partial to the Cy Young award with the hand gripping the ball. But the Topps Minor League POY awards may be my favorite now, as they have a solid history of appearing on Topps cards.

s-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those cards had to be about as exciting as the checklist cards for kids I would guess. I never cared for them and don't believe I have a single one to this day.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
So, what's your favorite trophy card? I'm kind of partial to the Cy Young award with the hand gripping the ball. But the Topps Minor League POY awards may be my favorite now, as they have a solid history of appearing on Topps cards.

s-l1600.jpg

The Cy Young award was the first high number I bought as a kid. It was just so weird to see a trophy get its own card.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
How about the boxes and wrappers that they came in...

Attachments

• lf.jpeg
    lf.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 49215c_1972_topps_baseball_set.jpg
    49215c_1972_topps_baseball_set.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 17

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
This set has special meaning for me. The 1972 Topps high numbers were a real challenge to collect 40 years after release. A great mix of star players, common guys and award cards as noted above make this fun to collect.

This set also had the honor of having the last card that I needed to find to complete my set run from 1970 to present. This particular players second RC card in 73 has more meaning value wise, but for me, this one is the best.

I think that this idea for set spotlights is a great idea and I can't wait to see more.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
1972 Topps Cloth TEST ISSUE

Attachments

• 37403_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    37403_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 37403a_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    37403a_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 37403b_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    37403b_1972_topps_cloth.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, this guy seems dead and it lasted all of a week. Anyone want to try to start a new year/set thread or is it pointless? I was checking out some 1980 Topps cards this afternoon, for example. Some really cool action photos in this set and that Ryan card is fantastic!!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Well, this guy seems dead and it lasted all of a week. Anyone want to try to start a new year/set thread or is it pointless? I was checking out some 1980 Topps cards this afternoon, for example. Some really cool action photos in this set and that Ryan card is fantastic!!

Just because there aren't a lot of posts coming in, I wouldn't consider them pointless. I think it's nice to discuss sets and a lot of people may like to read them but not post. If I can find some time this week I'll think of a set to discuss.

Ryan

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Easily quadrupled my knowledge of '72 Topps from this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011

I personally didn't really like the trophy cards back in the day (still don't like them really...). The one I know I have is the Commissioners Award that is graded. I'm sure I have others that are in poor condition that I still have from when I was young. I would have liked to see the player who won the award on the card not the trophy that they won.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Love the 1972 set.

My favorite card in the set is the Clemente.
150425.jpg

There is something slightly sad in his expression that seems to have foreshadowed the tragedy to come.

Even though Brooks is in the set a few times and really like his card/s, I think the Clemente is my favorite in the set with Willie McCovey coming in 2nd. I was still a bit upset about the '71 WS, but still "kinda" root for the Pirates in the National League even though we lost in '79 as well...

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
One thing that bugged me was when topps used the 72 design for a mini insert they used different colors for the A's border. I know I'm being nitpicky.

Members online

Latest posts