Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PSA/DNA HOFer Auto Rejections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
The following were not slabbed and graded due to "Questionable Authenticity".

I got them in a Hugiins & Scott Auction in August.

What do you think? Do they look good?

KiKi Cuyler

Eppa Rixey

Connie Mack

I also had several others fail in the submission.

Joe Cronin
Zack Wheat
Earle Combs
and a Bowman On-card Certified Albert Pujols

Needless to say I was very disappointed. I would love to hear opinions.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Maybe resubmit one at a time. Probably the same 'careful' eye was authenticating your auto's and found one to be suspect and maybe put doubt into their minds about the rest.

Just my $0.02

Fordman

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Hard for me to reason with their decision since they came from a very reputable dealer. Were they sold with any existing COA?

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Maybe resubmit one at a time. Probably the same 'careful' eye was authenticating your auto's and found one to be suspect and maybe put doubt into their minds about the rest.

Just my $0.02

Fordman

They passed the other 77 autographs I submitted.

Hard for me to reason with their decision since they came from a very reputable dealer. Were they sold with any existing COA?

I have an auction LOA from JSA. I also called Huggins and Scott yesterday and they told me the source of the autos which give me zero doubt that they are real.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
They passed the other 77 autographs I submitted.

I have an auction LOA from JSA. I also called Huggins and Scott yesterday and they told me the source of the autos which give me zero doubt that they are real.

Given this, I might go as far as to ask them why they failed the autograph. Maybe they would let you resubmit for free. If I were on their customer care team that's what I would do

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Doing a Google Image search of Connie Mack autographs, I don't see any that have a closed "c" that looks like an "s" in his last name. They all have open "c's." Yours looks like Connie Mask, so maybe the authenticator questioned that.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
So I really went back to work looking harder at the 3 big autos that failed...Mack, Rixey, and Cuyler.

I am now convicted that the Mack is almost certainly fake. The Cuyler is questionable for sure and I can see why they would have rejected it. The Rixey still looks pretty legit to me.

It was amazing how many flaws I found in the Mack and the Cuyler autos once I looked harder.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I already tried and they said that Jimmy Spence looked at every autograph in the lot and called them "good". I have an auction LOA from JSA. H&S said that "is not their responsibility if another authenticator doesn't agree with Jimmy."
JSA comes to our auction house every month, I'm gonna run these 3 by them and see what they say and see if they can reach out to Spence.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes...why??

Because those are some of the most forged cards in recent history. Topps did them wrong, putting them in openable cases but not marking the actual cards aside from hand-numbering. They have learned and everything they buyback for signing now has official stamping on it (which isn't perfect but a lot harder to fake).

I'm glad Lancemountian asked this because I was wondering what was up; Topps certified is usually pretty air-tight, but those Bowman Originals were a huge exception.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I already tried and they said that Jimmy Spence looked at every autograph in the lot and called them "good". I have an auction LOA from JSA.
It's scary to think how many "authenticated" autographs of baseball legends are out there.
If some of us were able to quickly notice how "off" a few of your signatures are just by looking at Google Images, how do these so-called "experts" authenticate them?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
It's scary to think how many "authenticated" autographs of baseball legends are out there.
If some of us were able to quickly notice how "off" a few of your signatures are just by looking at Google Images, how do these so-called "experts" authenticate them?

I've always been under the assumption that with larger auction lots they only look at a sampling of the collection that is offered and overall give the collection a thumbs up or down. Thats why there's generally a better price attached to items with a generalized LOA vs direct individual authentication but maybe wrong?

Members online

No members online now.