Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day.......Thanks Brooks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
When the sun rose over the horizon on that sunny September morning the Orioles and Yankees were battling for the American League East championship but one familiar face was missing from the Oriole lineup. When the team needed a place on the roster for catcher Rick Dempsey, who was coming off of the disabled list, then player/coach Brooks Robinson voluntarily retired to open up the much needed roster spot. Robinson’s career had been slowing down and he would find himself pinch hitting on occasion but doing much of nothing else on the field. Brooks Robinson knew his time had come and it was time to step aside and let the younger players have their turn in the sun and so he did what he thought was right and retired.

After his retirement Brooks Robinson, being a humble man, refused to take part in any celebration of his career. After a number of discussions with the Orioles front office, he was convinced that a celebration would not be for him but for the fans who wanted to be able to officially say good bye to the legend. After much discussion, Robinson agreed to participate in a post career celebration but with some stipulations. Robinson wanted no gifts to be presented to him and instead asked for donations to two of his favorite charities. With this agreement in place, plans were made for a chance for the fans to say thanks to their irreplaceable third sacker.

With the Orioles in the thick of the pennant race, 52,000 fans came out on sunny Sunday, September 18, 1977 to cheer on the Orioles and their ace, Mike Flanagan as they battled the hated Red Sox. While the score of the game was a disappointment, the real reason most fans were in attendance was to honor their legend, Brooks Robinson and thank him for all the joy he brought to them over the last two decades of playing in Baltimore.

Robinson entered the stadium in a 1955 Cadillac which was made the same year in which he would start his Hall of Fame career. As he circled the Memorial Stadium field Brooks received a sustained ovation that seemed to go on forever as the crowd waved and applauded their retiring hero. As the Cadillac came to a rest near the podium set up in the infield, sportswriters, teammates and others would go on to heap praise onto Robinson while he soaked in the final act of his illustrious career. After the adulations were complete, Robinson stood and addressed the assembled crown and stayed true to form and spoke very briefly. His simple thank you to the fans was gracious and brief as he said “It’s been a beautiful 23 years. It turned out to be a beautiful day and you are all beautiful people”.

Despite his stipulations of no gifts, Robinson was still given a new car, trips and other gifts and his charities received a substantial donation. What might have been the most touching presentation of the day came from the Oriole players themselves who were sitting on the infield ground, watching the ceremonies when Doug DeCinces stood up, went to third base and pulled it from the ground and presented in to the hero. Even the grizzled Oriole Manager, Earl Weaver seemed to choke up and he addressed the crowd and spoke of Robinson’s penchant for “doing things the right way”.

The Orioles would eventually lose the American League East race to the hated Yankees but the 1977 season would see the end of the Robinson era and the start of a new time in Orioles history. Players like Murray, Flanagan and Ripken would usher the team back to winning ways but the greatness of these new players would never remove the shine off the image of the Brooks Robinson era and the greatness of the man himself.

Today's photo of the day come courtesy of FCB member Mark AKA Mark70Z. Mark had sent me this photo and felt it would make a great photo of the day and I agreee.

attachment.php

I have a great photo of Brooks Robinson I wanted to add. This would have been taken at the 1971 World Series and features Robinson throwing out another runner after making an incredible play at third base in the series.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Thanks Brooks.jpg
    Thanks Brooks.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Brooks Robinson 1970 world series.jpg
    Brooks Robinson 1970 world series.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 116

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
See, I told you that you'd tell the story far better than I ever could; great job! Also, that is one good looking picture of a HOF player at the end of his career, as Earl stated "doing things the right way". I do have one of the banners that was displayed across the street near Memorial Stadium on September 18, 1977 which states "Thanks Brooks Day".

By the way, as a way of a very minor correction, the "other" picture of Brooks throwing out a runner was from the '70 World Series.

Just one more quote from Earl, “He’s just the greatest third baseman in the history of baseball. That’s counting everybody.” Earl Weaver

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
"Thanks Brooks" Day

Might as well add a picture of the program from "Thanks Brooks" day.

Attachments

• Thanks Brooks Day Program.jpg
    Thanks Brooks Day Program.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 18

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
See, I told you that you'd tell the story far better than I ever could; great job! Also, that is one good looking picture of a HOF player at the end of his career, as Earl stated "doing things the right way". I do have one of the banners that was displayed across the street near Memorial Stadium on September 18, 1977 which states "Thanks Brooks Day".

By the way, as a way of a very minor correction, the "other" picture of Brooks throwing out a runner was from the '70 World Series.

Just one more quote from Earl, “He’s just the greatest third baseman in the history of baseball. That’s counting everybody.” Earl Weaver

Oops.. you are right in that it is the '70 World Series. I had another photo I was going to use from the '71 series but could not get it to load so I used this one but forgot to change the date!

I love stadium banners and I bet the one you have looks great wherever you have it hanging (assuming you do). There is a whole area of sports collecting that includes stadium related items and the banners are usually the coolest because they are large and contain awesome photos and graphics.

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad I could do justice to one of the greatest third basemen who ever played the game.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
"Thanks Brooks" Day

Here's a rather unique item from "Thanks Brooks" Day. It's a sign from the day he was honored and also states you will receive a free full color print of Brooks. The print that the attendees received was a Norman Rockwell "Gee, Thanks Brooks!" copy of his painting.

I have a ticket stub from the game, and I've been looking for a full ticket, but haven't seen or come across one yet; maybe one day.

Last edited:

NATTYBOs

Jul 21, 2017
Here's a rather unique item from "Thanks Brooks" Day. It's a sign from the day he was honored and also states you will receive a free full color print of Brooks. The print that the attendees received was a Norman Rockwell "Gee, Thanks Brooks!" copy of his painting.

I have a ticket stub from the game, and I've been looking for a full ticket, but haven't seen or come across one yet; maybe one day.

Wow I love that sign....have an extra?

Members online

Latest posts