Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 226

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
While it may not be common knowledge, it's to some of our understanding that Flair and Ultra made two copies of each of their Masterpiece 1/1s: one for packs, another for the archives. After the Fleer selloff, many of these archived examples surfaced. In the case of this particular Griffey, you have one of them, Probstein has the other one.

Beautiful card btw.

Last edited:

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
http://www.hobbykings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=140704&highlight=flair+masterpieces

For anyone interested in seeing the uncut Basketball masterpieces, here they are.

The baseball ones are the same.

All of the ones being sold by Probstein are from uncut sheets.

The owner chose SGC to grade them because many of real versions are in the pop reports of PSA/BGS and it starts to look bad when a card #/1 has a pop report of 2 or 3

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
I'm not sure if this parallel has already been discussed. If so, I apologize. Just looking for more info on these patterns. I don't collect anything other than chippers so I come here to see other players and variations. I don't have a ton of knowledge of late 90s variations, print runs, errors and print issues. I see some other players that have 2 patterns on COMC. Any info??
Thanks!!

Most of my platinum team cards run right to left from the top.
attachment.php

My oddball platinum team runs the same direction as my premier club but the coloring & stamps don't match
attachment.php

Will there be a premier club that runs opposite??

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 136

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
Here's another. I was told the card on the right with the swirl pattern was the unreleased version.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 138

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think what you have said is correct. It was not protocol at Fleer to create two cards for the MPs and hold one as a replacement. Further, if you look at the uncut MP basketball sheets someone posted the link too, none of them were stamped with the final lettering. So it Fleer did not stamp the cards on their end unless they had a reason too. In the Griffey case, there was none. The person who commented about using SCG is right. The person who is sending all these through Probsetin knows the major graders have graded these already. SCG is a third rate grading company, they have no business grading cards like this.

I am working directly with the lead Fleer designer and head of production, where were there from 1989-2001. We are jointly working on a comprehensive project to clear up all this miss information in the hobby around uncut sheets, replacement cards, etc. It will cover all the three sports and focus on about 30 different sets. The plan is to provide a authentication service, for free, in order to clean up the hobby. They are not happy them selves with what is going on, as much of the great cards they have created and their life work is being ruined. Basketball has even worse outright fraud. They both are collectors as well.

There will be more to come at the end of the year on the entire project. It has taken about a year so far to compile all the information but it will clear up so much of the hobby misinformation around certain cards. For example, the reason why some of the 1998 and 1998 EX cards are yellow is due to a gloss coating over the cards that has turned yellow due to heat and or light. Not because there was a gold prototyp version. They actually did not want to use the coating for that reason, but every time they printed the cards, they kept on getting scratched, so the only way to prevent this was using the coating. This comes directly from the Fleer people when I asked about this particular situation. I have seen threads through the years wondering. No one knows these card better than the two people I am working with. So this hopefully will add some credibility to the project. Some interesting hobby stories will be published as well and little known facts on cards in general. As another example, why certain players appeared in some sets while others did not...

Last edited:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
This really sucks for the collectors such as myself who have had the "real' 1/1s in there collection for years.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The problem I have with the assertion that more than one sheet of one of ones were not printed is that while it may not have been intended for more than one sheet to be produced, the printing company has to follow that intention. I do believe the one of one notation is being added to these cards well after the fact, but replacement, test run, or unauthorized extra print, whatever it was, these cards aren't blank sheets whom are being completely foiled today. The purple foil is original, other than the 1of1 stamp. I've owned and held a substantial amount of seconds, scraps, and bankruptcy material and there are a lot of oddball items out there. The integrity of a 1of1 is only as good the honesty of the most dishonest person who touches a project.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The problem I have with the assertion that more than one sheet of one of ones were not printed is that while it may not have been intended for more than one sheet to be produced, the printing company has to follow that intention. I do believe the one of one notation is being added to these cards well after the fact, but replacement, test run, or unauthorized extra print, whatever it was, these cards aren't blank sheets whom are being completely foiled today. The purple foil is original, other than the 1of1 stamp. I've owned and held a substantial amount of seconds, scraps, and bankruptcy material and there are a lot of oddball items out there. The integrity of a 1of1 is only as good the honesty of the most dishonest person who touches a project.

True. Which might negate anything the ex-fleer rep may even know. Sometimes I think the people printing the cards are in the most "know" of anyone. But the info from the fleer rep will be good to help distinguish what's legit and what's back doored.

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
I don't know the ins and outs of card production so I may be way off base here. My experience is mainly in the industrial field but most products follow the same steps to production. You have the concept design prototype final approval and finally production. Even after production starts tweaks can be made. Which we see in some of the variations of long runners. Typically the head of production and most likely lead designer would know how many of each and what quality are to be produced. This is useful in the design/durability of tooling. In this case a stamp. That may still exist????

Very interested to see the reports from these 3 people. Will most likely bid a few more times on the chipper, even if it isn't the original copy.

Thanks for all of the info.

Members online