Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AVOID SGC CROSSOVER SERVICE!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trillachris

Nov 28, 2017
If I was you I would have cracked it out of the case and forgot about crossover service. I feel what both you and the company man were saying except for when he said that industry experts value sgc 98 over bgs 9.5. That's hogwash! Which experts are he referring to? Nobody I know values any sgc label over bgs or Psa. I wish they did cuz sgc price is much more reasonable than the other two. Unless it's vintage, collectors just don't value sgc

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Just in the little time that I've re-entered the hobby I never knew about the BGS 10 Black Label Pristine until recently. And although I think it's a cool looking card, and obviously it's nice to have all 10 sub grades, it does make this situation somewhat confusing in a few ways.

1st, I think it's very possible that 9.5's could decrease in value in the future with this "New grade" and honestly it does seem kind of silly to me because now they have a Gem Mint grade, a Pristine grade and a Gem Mint Pristine grade if you will. Is that Black label good for the hobby? I don't know if I know the answer that question, but I don't think I'm all that fond of it. Seems like a brilliant new marketing ploy on their part to attract even more submissions, but again I honestly think it could eventually hurt the values of 9.5's as it sort of puts that grade 3rd on the list.

2nd, I think I get where SGC is coming from. It's kind of confusing as hell! Yes an SGC 98 is their version of Gem Mint and a BGS 9.5 is their version of Gem Mint. SO maybe SGC looked at it wanting to protect their grading system, and basically just balked at giving it a Gem grade seeing how Beckett now has two different pristine grades..idk. Hell, just imagine trying to cross over a BGS 10 to an SGC 100?!?! Not that I think anyone would actually try and do that but I think you see what I'm saying.

So I get where SGC is coming from and where the OP is coming from.

I will say this though. I agree that it should have been busted out if you were going to send it to SGC. But my question in this whole fiasco is why didn't you just pay the $38 in the first place ? If most people think an SGC 98 does not carry the same value as a BGS 9.5 ( including myself although others may respectfully disagree) then why not pay the $38 rather than lose some value to try to get it crossed over to it SGC 98? To me that's actually the biggest issue here beyond anything else that's been discussed. I mean I don't know what the value is on your card but let's just say someone has a $500 card in a BGS holder and the same card is $400 in an SGC holder, both in Gem Mint grades. In this case which is better, to pay $38 for a re-slab or to pay SGC to cross it over?
I know my answer to that. But anyway welcome to the boards! I think you'll find most people here to be extremely helpful so stick around

Cheers!

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
Thank you gentlemen for your responses, really appreciate it! I’ll try to touch on some of what you said/asked.

Yes I asked for a 98, thinking their 98 is the equivalent of a 9.5. Also a few years back I did the same thing and had no issues (2015 I think). I also was not familiar with the two 10 slabs from BGS, and frankly that point is void in this situation as the BGS slab I submitted predated the two BGS 10 slabs, making it a true gem mint in my mind (subgrades are on the back of my card). My card does have one 9 subgrade, no 10.

I agree that from now on I’ll break the card out, though I’ve never attempted this and didn’t want to risk damaging the card! In truth my post should say “avoid all crossovers” as it is clear to me they cause more issues than they solve. I don’t think any company could grade a crossover in a fair and unbiased way after this ordeal. I avoided the $38 for two reasons: yes I figured an SGC slab could devalue the card some, but I don’t intend to sale and I really do like the SGC slab. Secondly, and my wife can attest to this, I’m shall we say frugal by nature 😋

I would like to update everyone: I emailed Matt Clark again after receiving my shipment, and I took his offer of sending it back to them, at no expense, and they will review again. Afterward he will give me their final decision and the reasons behind it. He’s been a true professional in all of this, and I’ve thanked him for that.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Several years ago I purchased a couple 1993 SP Jeter BGS 9s. I selected cards with subs 9 or higher. My intent was to crossover to PSA since PSA9 Cards were selling $500-750 higher than BGS9. NOT A SINGLE CARD CROSSED.

PSA had previously stated that for a BGS 9 to cross to PSA 9 all of the sins needed to be 9+....so much like the OP I was confused. After talking to PSA I was told that the existing grade was a “starting” point and determined that my cards had all been altered/trimmed. I was offered to crack them out and resub to PSA....which I did; I now own several raw ungraded and trimmed Jeter RCs.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Several years ago I purchased a couple 1993 SP Jeter BGS 9s. I selected cards with subs 9 or higher. My intent was to crossover to PSA since PSA9 Cards were selling $500-750 higher than BGS9. NOT A SINGLE CARD CROSSED.

PSA had previously stated that for a BGS 9 to cross to PSA 9 all of the sins needed to be 9+....so much like the OP I was confused. After talking to PSA I was told that the existing grade was a “starting” point and determined that my cards had all been altered/trimmed. I was offered to crack them out and resub to PSA....which I did; I now own several raw ungraded and trimmed Jeter RCs.

Ouch.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
Crossovers are not guaranteed. So even if you know from experience that for the most part, a BGS 9.5 = SGC 98 = PSA 10, it doesn't mean any specific company HAS TO grade it that way. They grade the card itself. Although I don't like it, there is inconsistency within every company. You can find BGS 9.5 with the exact same subs as another BGS 9.5 even if they're different. Similarly, you can find PSA10s that are differently centered or nicer edges than another PSA10. So If you send a PSA10 to BGS, it could grade BGS10, 9.5 or even 9 depending on who is grading and maybe even their mood. You could submit the same card, get a 9, crack it, resub it, get a 9.5 or even 10.

So I don't think you can ever be upset with a company for not crossing over a card at the grade you think it should be.

Members online