Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 APOH 500 Home Run Auto set in pictures - set complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
sheet1.jpg

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I just find it interesting they are labeled "A Piece Of History" when they really aren't.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I just find it interesting they are labeled "A Piece Of History" when they really aren't.

Why do you say that? Many would argue that the piece of a bat from an all-time great is definitely a piece of history. (Keep in mind that this was basically the first time this was done, the cards were exceptionally tough pulls (spread across all UD releases that year) and no one knew the companies would later flood the market.)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Why do you say that? Many would argue that the piece of a bat from an all-time great is definitely a piece of history. (Keep in mind that this was basically the first time this was done, the cards were exceptionally tough pulls (spread across all UD releases that year) and no one knew the companies would later flood the market.)

Because there is nothing historic about them.They are just taken from some random bat the player may or may not have used in a game.For all we know those bats could have been used in spring training.Yes, they are innovative and nice looking, but to me they are not historical.That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to owning one down the road.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Because there is nothing historic about them.They are just taken from some random bat the player may or may not have used in a game.For all we know those bats could have been used in spring training.Yes, they are innovative and nice looking, but to me they are not historical.That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to owning one down the road.

Funny how times change. Back then there was an uproar about the companies cutting up pieces of baseball history. (As an aside I am quite sure the earlier game-used was legitimately used and only more recently did they shift to "practice worn" and the like).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I can see why some they think they are part of history.But unless they are specifically used from a historical event like 500 home runs, then to me they aren't.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Incredible set. I just wish they would have found a smaller Mantle cut so they could have somehow used the same design as the other cards. The Mantle looks like it belongs in another set.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Incredible set. I just wish they would have found a smaller Mantle cut so they could have somehow used the same design as the other cards. The Mantle looks like it belongs in another set.

That's what I hate about the set . It's not a set I will ever complete , but when looking at the set , the Mantle, the hand numbering vs stamp , the numbering not in the same spot on each card , and some autos horizontal , vertical , below name , above name etc kill my OCD when viewing them all.

**Did all the Sosas make it out in the market ?

It would be nice , even w/o logos if they could continue to add to the set

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I added the McCovey, Sosa and Jackson.

All that's left is:

EBAU Ernie Banks 14
EMAU Eddie Mathews 41
SMMC Mark McGwire 25

I believe at least 2 are owned by board members, so if anyone can contribute we should be able to get the images from every card in this remarkable, and hard to find set.

There's a Ruth cut auto which is technically not part of the 500 homerun club if anyone has a picture...

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
There was also a poster that UD made (numbered) showing all the bat cards.
It's really nice, high gloss and such.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Is GH Ruth signatgure more desirable than Babe Ruth?That is interesting UD chose to print both of his names on the card.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
There was also a poster that UD made (numbered) showing all the bat cards.
It's really nice, high gloss and such.

I sent one of thoses Posters out to a member here, and I think [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] has one as well :)

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Is GH Ruth signatgure more desirable than Babe Ruth?That is interesting UD chose to print both of his names on the card.

Babe is more desirable than GH. He often signed checks GH. I think that over the years he had a number of different signatures. There was a time when he signed "Babe" in quotes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts