Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hanrahan to Boston for Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel - 6 players total

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Hanrahan is due a big raise and they just resigned Jason Grilli who the Pirates feel can do the closer role just as well. Hanrahan had issues last year with control and lost some velocity at points during the year. He can be great but when he is bad he is Mitch Williams end of career bad.

Pirates really like Melancon and if you look at his issues HR rate and his advanced metrics I think you will see why. I don't get why they want Sands though unless he they are going to package up some of their other OF's for another move like Tabata.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Hanrahan is due a big raise and they just resigned Jason Grilli who the Pirates feel can do the closer role just as well. Hanrahan had issues last year with control and lost some velocity at points during the year. He can be great but when he is bad he is Mitch Williams end of career bad.

Pirates really like Melancon and if you look at his issues HR rate and his advanced metrics I think you will see why. I don't get why they want Sands though unless he they are going to package up some of their other OF's for another move like Tabata.
Well you can look at any advanced metrics you want, but I had the pleasure of watching him pitch last season, lol. He was insanely bad that first month, and to his credit he did rebound a bit (not like he could do any worse) the rest of the season especially in September when the games didn't mean anything (crazy I know). When he doesn't throw cheeseballs right down the pipe he does a decent job...he just needs to paint the corners with his fastball and have his curve working for him. When he isn't painting the corner with his fastball it is very hittable. Very. I think he will do better back in the NL but do not expect him to be a Hanrahan replacement.

Sands doesn't make sense, but he does have some value so I wouldn't be surprised to see him (or someone blocking him) traded again.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
This is a phenomenal trade for the Sox. They're getting something of value for players that were going to end up being DFA'ed, stuck in Pawtucket, or outright released and given away for nothing. I can't see a way this can go bad; even if Hanrahan sucks and earns a release, they didn't lose anything important to get him.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
It's all fun and games until Jackie Bradley Jr. is one of the players TBD.
He's about as untouchable as it gets considering Ellsbury is gone next year. No one on the Pirates is worth giving him up for, unless for McCutch....and he is also very untouchable correct? =P

DeliciousBacon - I agree with you there, great trade for the Sox. Will be nice to have someone be able to close out games!! I'm absolutely lovin' our bullpen right now....and with Dempster on the team that means Morales will be back in the bullpen so that will give us two long relief pitchers (along with Mortensen, assuming he isn't part of the trade) which is never a bad thing at all! I think the Red Sox have done a good job this offseason considering they needed to fill a lot of holes, and did so with short term contracts while not signing anyone that would surrender a draft pick. It seems that they are building for the future but still keeping a competitive team out there...maybe they can trade Aceves to rid the team of all not so great clubhouse presences.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Great trade for the Sox. Nothing murders a season like a bad closer. Now Boston has a solid closer.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#redsox announce they have acquired hanrahan and brock holt in 6 player trade. dejesus is other names to #pirates

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier
#redsox announce deal is Hanrahan and IF Brock Holt for Pimentel, Sands, Melancon, DeJesus

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Great move for Boston! Holt is a great hitter. Sands and DeJesus JR look solid, but we don't need Pimental or Melancon. This team is starting to look better and better!!!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
My true unedited thoughts on this trade would contain lots of cursing and the wishing of harm upon the Boston organization and Pirates management, so I will refrain from commenting in full.

Being a fan of Hanrahan, I was sad enough when I found out they were moving him. I had plans to get his St. Patrick's Day jersey for this season. The Pirates are sending a clear message - there is only room for one perennial All Star in Pittsburgh. You make two AS appearances, pack your bags.

Okay, that's just the bitter fan in me talking. Now moving out Brock Holt is borderline retarded. Brock Holt isn't a big power hitter, but his BA is consistently higher than Lindsey Lohan's average BAL. I'd take Holt over any of the jokers Boston shipped over any day of the week.

Now I'm going to cry every time I look at this in my collection. Wow, I really need to scan that again. Took poorly and had some dust on the one touch.

4-brock-holt-2011-bowmanchrome-refractor-orange.png

Last edited:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
My true unedited thoughts on this trade would contain lots of cursing and the wishing of harm upon the Boston organization and Pirates management, so I will refrain from commenting in full.

Being a fan of Hanrahan, I was sad enough when I found out they were moving him. I had plans to get his St. Patrick's Day jersey for this season. The Pirates are sending a clear message - there is only room for one perennial All Star in Pittsburgh. You make two AS appearances, pack your bags.

Okay, that's just the bitter fan in me talking. Now moving out Brock Holt is borderline retarded. Brock Holt isn't a big power hitter, but his BA is consistently higher than Lindsey Lohan's average BAL. I'd take Holt over any of the jokers Boston shipped over any day of the week.

Now I'm going to cry every time I look at this in my collection. Wow, I really need to scan that again. Took poorly and had some dust on the one touch.

4-brock-holt-2011-bowmanchrome-refractor-orange.png

I've got some (4 or 5) Sands autos and a DeJesus Jr auto you might want in some type of trade for that Holt? PM me if you'd like to trade.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've got some (4 or 5) Sands autos and a DeJesus Jr auto you might want in some type of trade for that Holt? PM me if you'd like to trade.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking to move the Holt. Even though he's not in the organization anymore, I still collect all Altoona Curve alumni.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts