Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors, how do you react when you see ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have successfully obtained a card for less than 25% the original listed amount, Cards like the one I'm referring to typically sold for under $100 and he had it listed for $400. In a few months he relisted it for $200 and I made a BO of $100 that was accepted. But that was a case where it was a Sizemore 1/1 and the seller just had no idea what the market was, and just wanted to get some money back off his box. In cases where it's a big dealer that doesn't care if they sit on a card for a decade, it's much tougher getting them to move even 25%, let alone 75%. For a card #/50, you just have to let that one copy go.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
As a player collector, I don't understand the concept of "hoarding." Give me one of everything, and I'm happy.

I'm curious... for the admitted "hoarders" out there, whom do you collect? Would be great to get some trades going that folks are really passionate about... Cheers

Sometimes certain cards are just so pretty.

IMG-20120822-00370.jpg

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I own lots of Sean Burnett Gold Refractors. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I buy more. That being said, I have passed on a few where the price was high and the seller wouldn't budge.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I don't get it either.
Think of all of the money that could be saved, or what could be bought for yourself or a loved one, or used on dates or kids or trips or home improvements or a child's savings account or college fund.
Why buy 20 of the same 2006 Topps autograph or whatever?

Buying multiple cards for investment is one thing, but most player collectors who buy multiples of common cards or the same autograph or game-used card do it out of compulsion.
Multiple $10 cards add up to massive amounts of money over the years, and the cards just sit in a box, usually losing most of their resale value over the years.

Unless you have a lot of disposable income, it just seems like a waste of money to buy duplicates when you can be using that money to better your family's life.

(Sorry to be so preachy. It's just my opinion, and is about no one in particular).

I understand you apologized for being preachy, but what is bolded you could use as reasons to not even be in this hobby.

Everyone collects what they want to collect, because it makes them happy. Think of all those cards you have sitting in a box, losing large amounts of their resale value, just taking up more and more space in your home.

As for the disposable income, if anyone is spending money that isn't disposable, they shouldn't be in the hobby anyways. they need to get their priorities right. So long as it is disposable income, whether it is a lot or a little, it's still disposable.

Not to debate your sermon or anything, but there are many flaws in what you said.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I don't get it either.
Think of all of the money that could be saved, or what could be bought for yourself or a loved one, or used on dates or kids or trips or home improvements or a child's savings account or college fund.
Why buy 20 of the same 2006 Topps autograph or whatever?

Buying multiple cards for investment is one thing, but most player collectors who buy multiples of common cards or the same autograph or game-used card do it out of compulsion.
Multiple $10 cards add up to massive amounts of money over the years, and the cards just sit in a box, usually losing most of their resale value over the years.

Unless you have a lot of disposable income, it just seems like a waste of money to buy duplicates when you can be using that money to better your family's life.

(Sorry to be so preachy. It's just my opinion, and is about no one in particular).

WOW what an awful sentiment. You can use the same argument for every penny spent on a piece of "worthless" cardboard. To act like buying the same "worthless" cardboard more than once makes you a person who is disregarding your family, or some other idiocy to that affect, is just one of the stupidest things I have seen on this board.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
It's been stated already, but there is definitely no difference between wasting money on ten different pieces of cardboard and ten copies of the same piece of cardboard.

Collecting is almost always an irrational use of money, and sometimes an irresponsible use of money... I definitely wonder about some people's spending habits cuz I see some people throwing around some serious coin here. I just assume that folks that do that can afford it and aren't spending their retirement money.

That's why I collect "low-end", it's just as fun for me and I don't have as much guilt / worry about the money.

Members online