Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Did anyone here win any of the Executive Promos of Arod last night?

I only grabbed the Giambi but was thinking to myself the Arod's might end at some great prices - at least compared to Thomas/Jeter/Puckett etc.

Was curiously surprised to see Giambi in an exec promo release.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Oh good. I meant to look at the ending auction to see the winner.

And a huge shoutout to you for letting me know its on Ebay. It didn't show up in my saved searches.

Here's what I still need. I used to think I had every Conine...not so

93 Marlins Florida Agriculture
93 Marlins Publix - on Ebay, don't feel like spending $30 for the set
94 Finest Jumbos - on Ebay for $6.50 delivered. I'll pick it up whenever
94 Pro Mags - on Ebay as a team set for $16. The Sheffield cost me 25 cents. I'll wait till one comes up BIN
95 Classic $10 Phone Card - again, on Ebay, but not paying $13 for it.
95 Finest Refractors - If another refractor set takes off in price, it'll probably be this one. Only one available and it's on Sportlots. Talked to a Charlie Hough collector who's NEVER seen one
96 Classic 7/11 Phone Card
96 Leaf Preferred Steel Gold Promo - Pretty sure I've seen this, so it does exist
96 Pro Stamps - on Ebay, overpriced
97 Donruss Interleague Showdown Gold Press Proofs - Surely this exists, although I've never seen one
97 Leaf Fractal Matrix Die Cuts - This might or might not exist. I might or might not understand the 97 Leaf set
97 Marlins Pacific - probably the toughest card, I think it was only available at the stadium for one game. Never seen any from the set
97 Pinnacle Inside Club Edition
97 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition - figured the Club (1:7 packs) would be easy, but I've never seen either.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
alot of the Pinnacle inside club editions are usually just treated like base cards.. I know I found mine in a small lot of base cards that I got for .99 plus shipping. I sold it for like $40 when I started piecing out my collection so they can be tough for most collectors.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I thought I had heard that there were versions of the Minted In Cooperstown cards that were gold foil instead of Bronze. True/False?

1998%20Topps%20Minted%20in%20Cooperstown%20480.jpg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
I thought I had heard that there were versions of the Minted In Cooperstown cards that were gold foil instead of Bronze. True/False?

True.

reg-foil.jpggold-foil.jpg

Can't recall the exact situation, but believe it boils down to a printing issue with the portable press they used on site at the HoF to stamp these. Others here may be able to provide more details.

And a huge shoutout to you for letting me know its on Ebay. It didn't show up in my saved searches.

Here's what I still need. I used to think I had every Conine...not so

93 Marlins Florida Agriculture
93 Marlins Publix - on Ebay, don't feel like spending $30 for the set
94 Finest Jumbos - on Ebay for $6.50 delivered. I'll pick it up whenever
94 Pro Mags - on Ebay as a team set for $16. The Sheffield cost me 25 cents. I'll wait till one comes up BIN
95 Classic $10 Phone Card - again, on Ebay, but not paying $13 for it.
95 Finest Refractors - If another refractor set takes off in price, it'll probably be this one. Only one available and it's on Sportlots. Talked to a Charlie Hough collector who's NEVER seen one
96 Classic 7/11 Phone Card
96 Leaf Preferred Steel Gold Promo - Pretty sure I've seen this, so it does exist
96 Pro Stamps - on Ebay, overpriced
97 Donruss Interleague Showdown Gold Press Proofs - Surely this exists, although I've never seen one
97 Leaf Fractal Matrix Die Cuts - This might or might not exist. I might or might not understand the 97 Leaf set
97 Marlins Pacific - probably the toughest card, I think it was only available at the stadium for one game. Never seen any from the set
97 Pinnacle Inside Club Edition
97 Pinnacle Inside Diamond Edition - figured the Club (1:7 packs) would be easy, but I've never seen either.

All those every card you dont need, or just up through 1997?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
All those every card you dont need, or just up through 1997?

Through 1997. I collect his other 2004 era stuff as well, but I focus on the 90's. In total, I have 404/443 (91.2%) for the complete run, and 339/352 (96.3%) for 1993-1998. I just picked up a 96 Pro Stamp team set for $3. Lucky #13 to go

28vsprt.jpg

Just picked this up for my acetate collection. I need to find the black die-cut /250 next

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Can someone add some insight here? From what I understand, there were 100 MVP redemption cards inserted into packs. If the player won the MVP during a given week, you could redeem them for a special MVP foil card... meaning there's less than 100 of these out there, right?

ArodMVP.png

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Can someone add some insight here? From what I understand, there were 100 MVP redemption cards inserted into packs. If the player won the MVP during a given week, you could redeem them for a special MVP foil card... meaning there's less than 100 of these out there, right?

View attachment 56552

MVP is a 416-card partial-parallel to the regular Topps set. Cards 200-242 (Draft Picks and Prospect, checklists, and the Mark McGwire Home Run card) was not included in the Series One set. The Draft Picks and Prospects were included in Series Two, but still, neither the checklists nor the Sammy Sosa Home Run Card is included.
The front of the card features the same photo as the basic issue card but is adorned with a bold gold foil MVP Promotion logo. The back features contest guidelines for the Topps MVP Promotion. If the featured player was awarded player of the week status (as determined by Topps) his card was then redeemable at season's end for a special set of all the weekly winners. Only 100 of each MVP Promotion card was produced. The exchange deadline to redeem winning cards was December 31st, 1999. Winning prize cards were mailed out between February 15th, 2000 and April 30th, 2000.

The winning cards were the following numbers (which correspond to the regular Topps set): 35, 52. 70, 96, 101, 125, 127, 139, 159, 198, 248, 265, 290, 292, 300, 315, 340, 346, 350, 352, 355, 360, 365, 416, and 418. Since Topps destroyed these Winner exchange cards once they received them, they're in noticeably shorter supply than other cards from this set. Despite this fact, no noticeable premiums in secondary trading levels have been detected for these cards

Looks like there are 2500 (theoretically, 25 winners x 100) of each of the exchange cards, since the winning cards were redeemable for a full set.

There are probably far fewer than 100 of the original cards for the reasons stated above

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
The back of mine says in the box "This is not an Official Game Card". I just checked on COMC. Theres only one Bagwell, like mine, and it says Redemption. But then other players cards have the same looking front, saying you are one step closer to 1,000,000. So, those are SP?

The ones that say they are 1 step closer to 1,000,000 were inserted into packs. The "not official game cards" were sent out as redemptions. The set was sealed and came in a small cardboard box. I still have a few sealed sets laying around somewhere.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
The ones that say they are 1 step closer to 1,000,000 were inserted into packs. The "not official game cards" were sent out as redemptions. The set was sealed and came in a small cardboard box. I still have a few sealed sets laying around somewhere.

So, does that mean there are three cards?
The 1 step closer
the Not official game card
and a white framed card?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
MVP is a 416-card partial-parallel to the regular Topps set. Cards 200-242 (Draft Picks and Prospect, checklists, and the Mark McGwire Home Run card) was not included in the Series One set. The Draft Picks and Prospects were included in Series Two, but still, neither the checklists nor the Sammy Sosa Home Run Card is included.
The front of the card features the same photo as the basic issue card but is adorned with a bold gold foil MVP Promotion logo. The back features contest guidelines for the Topps MVP Promotion. If the featured player was awarded player of the week status (as determined by Topps) his card was then redeemable at season's end for a special set of all the weekly winners. Only 100 of each MVP Promotion card was produced. The exchange deadline to redeem winning cards was December 31st, 1999. Winning prize cards were mailed out between February 15th, 2000 and April 30th, 2000.

The winning cards were the following numbers (which correspond to the regular Topps set): 35, 52. 70, 96, 101, 125, 127, 139, 159, 198, 248, 265, 290, 292, 300, 315, 340, 346, 350, 352, 355, 360, 365, 416, and 418. Since Topps destroyed these Winner exchange cards once they received them, they're in noticeably shorter supply than other cards from this set. Despite this fact, no noticeable premiums in secondary trading levels have been detected for these cards

Looks like there are 2500 (theoretically, 25 winners x 100) of each of the exchange cards, since the winning cards were redeemable for a full set.

There are probably far fewer than 100 of the original cards for the reasons stated above

I am checking my Bagwell checklist and see a MVP version for his base card, and the 3 player all star card listed (which i assume are the regular cards with the MVP gold seal on them). But I dont see the redemption foil card listed. Do you happen to have a list of the foil cards in the redemption set? I would like to know if Bagwell is in it, and what his card number is so I could add it to my list.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I am checking my Bagwell checklist and see a MVP version for his base card, and the 3 player all star card listed (which i assume are the regular cards with the MVP gold seal on them). But I dont see the redemption foil card listed. Do you happen to have a list of the foil cards in the redemption set? I would like to know if Bagwell is in it, and what his card number is so I could add it to my list.

Not in 1999, MVP 19 in 2000 Topps Redemption set.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
So, does that mean there are three cards?
The 1 step closer
the Not official game card
and a white framed card?

The one you are looking for, as I believe it to be, is a 1/1 and would have been the grand prize winner. It's buried in this thread some where as I was pretty much wondering the same thing. In any case, I've never seen it but if it comes up, it'll be a dog fight for sure.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

1998%20Topps%20Minted%20in%20Cooperstown%20480.jpg

True. I have the Bagwell versions. Didn't pay them much mind nor did I pay much for them as I consider them more of a printing error than anything. But...ripken8's post at least validates it wasn't just a one time occurrence. Honestly, who knows how many exist as they are poorly scanned most of the time and most people do not probably know the difference or that these exist in general. But they are clear as day when put next to regular bronze versions.

Members online