Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Gilmore's FCB store no longer sell sports cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Agreed.....Coming to the boards for hobby info and not finding a whole lot, I even found myself into the off topic forum way too much......Sure would love to see more hobby related topics...Hot list, interesting stats, pulses and changes within of the hobby,autograph and fraud alerts etc.

And this is the problem. Many people come here looking for specific threads that they, themselves, have insight on but leave when they don't see them already made. Take initiative. Start the threads!

Jun 30, 2010
Chris isn't at the helm of the forum. That's why he didn't set up for us at the National. See Philly's response. This isnt a business venture. It's a hobby forum. The physical Shop that Chris runs is a separate entity. There's no way that the current staff could have foot the bill for the National this year. Real lives outside of the hobby were, are and always will be far more important... I'd even go so far as to say that I'd refuse to allow any of the current staff to shoot themselves in the foot financially for the sake of having a booth with no content at the show.

I understand it isn't a business venture, however there are expenses that come along with running this site. Real lives should always be the number one priority as they should be. I am only making an assessment to the question " Why has the site gone downhill from the earlier successes" But, if you want to have a success with something, you have to put in the time, energy and resources to insure success. And the backbone and/or name recognition(Chris) is basically AWOL and I think there might be confusion in regard to that. Just saying Freedom Cardboard you can't help think about Chris. Maybee that might be a part of the problem, getting more of the focus on who actually is behind the wheel and what they can do, not Chris. Freedom Cardboard NOT being at the National is a reflection on the site and Chris, not Adam, Philly or whoever is at the helm. The perception is Freedom may go away as Chris has now basically gone away.

A_Pharis

I understand it isn't a business venture, however there are expenses that come along with running this site. Real lives should always be the number one priority as they should be. I am only making an assessment to the question " Why has the site gone downhill from the earlier successes" But, if you want to have a success with something, you have to put in the time, energy and resources to insure success. And the backbone and/or name recognition(Chris) is basically AWOL and I think there might be confusion in regard to that. Just saying Freedom Cardboard you can't help think about Chris. Maybee that might be a part of the problem, getting more of the focus on who actually is behind the wheel and what they can do, not Chris. Freedom Cardboard NOT being at the National is a reflection on the site and Chris, not Adam, Philly or whoever is at the helm. The perception is Freedom may go away as Chris has now basically gone away.

At this point, the guys now running the site have been doing the best they can to tie up loose ends and look to giving people what they want as long as it's something within the realm of possibility. It's not a shot at anyone to ask them to make the threads, but people like mchenry, you and others are the most primed members for being that catalyst. The staff can't pour threads out, so it is a little perplexing when the people that are most qualified aren't making these threads that pop up as ideas.
Staff here - and I, personally - have always been willing to back user ventures. You guys start the fire, and we will make sure you have the fuel in any way that we can.

Jun 30, 2010
Since we have members familiar with autograph recognition can we get an autograph recognition Forum or a forum such as AUTOGRAPHS REAL/FAKE. Just a thought...What do other members think?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
At this point, the guys now running the site have been doing the best they can to tie up loose ends and look to giving people what they want as long as it's something within the realm of possibility. It's not a shot at anyone to ask them to make the threads, but people like mchenry, you and others are the most primed members for being that catalyst. The staff can't pour threads out, so it is a little perplexing when the people that are most qualified aren't making these threads that pop up as ideas.
Staff here - and I, personally - have always been willing to back user ventures. You guys start the fire, and we will make sure you have the fuel in any way that we can.

I get the fact that money isn't there to get a booth at the National and to hire signers for the day. I honestly always thought having a signer at the FCB booth was a loss leader and did not understand the reasoning behind it as paying a guy to sign his name for a few hours is very expensive. But, the one thing anyone can deny is the National coverage was one thing most, if not all looked forward to and what brought FCB new blood. So let's address this issue right away. In any business one needs to get creative and look for ways to push forward even when the money isn't there to help give that push. Lets take a look at this first.

If I had to guess, at any given National convention there is anywhere from 5 to 10 FCB board members in attendance, if not a great deal more. So, I am sure a few of these members would be more than happy to take their cell phone and make some quality videos of the convention floor and post them on FCB. Heck, all one has to do is look on YouTube and see videos of conventions past to know that this can be done in a good quality way. Perhaps the admins of the board could set up some interviews with hobby contacts that they have and have these board members conduct the interviews and post them on FCB. I am sure that if the board pays for a ticket to get into the show, either a ne day pass or a full VIP pass, there will be more than enough board members who would love to do this for the rest of us who cannot make it. This way, those who cannot make the show get their fill of the National and the boards are only out less than $200 bucks (or even less) but they still get the coverage we all know and like. There are a million ways to be creative about this and none of them require the boards to purchase a booth or to pay a guest to sign autographs. I have attended every Chicago National (yes, every one of them) and a few others in between and would be more than happy to do this once Chicago comes around again. Like I said, let's get creative with these ideas.

As for content, I would be more than happy to start writing again as, truth be told I kinda miss it. I don't need my backside kissed and I do not expect everything I write to be of interest to a broad range of readers on the board but I will be more than willing to jump back in and see what I can do to make this place change. Hopefully A_Pharis and Phillyfan (I can never remember his full handle name) and whoever is running this board will be more appreciative of those who are willing to put the time and effort in than the previous administration which I have no doubt that they will.

And speaking of running the boards.....can we just have it put out there in clear and plain language as to who actually owns the boards now. Does Chris have any stake in the boards or is it a new regime altogether? Just so that we all know who we are dealing with at this point.

Thanks guys for having an open mind about the direction and feelings of your posters here. This place can once again be great but it will take a good deal of time and a good deal of effort to change minds and hearts.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
We all love FCB, thats why we keep coming back.

I am hoping to get a Q&A going with the Rockies Spring Training Facility clubhouse manager. He is busy right now with Fall Ball but checks fb all the time. I hope he likes my suggestion and we can get something going.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
We all love FCB, thats why we keep coming back.

I am hoping to get a Q&A going with the Rockies Spring Training Facility clubhouse manager. He is busy right now with Fall Ball but checks fb all the time. I hope he likes my suggestion and we can get something going.

well off to a good start, got a reply

"Rockies portion ended Saturday but we have a team from Korea here for another 10 days. I get to return home when they finish up. I'd be glad to answer questions. Just let me know what I need to do. Probably give more time when I get home."

mchenrycards

You guys realize I'm posting in this thread right? Talk to me, not about me. I'll answer any question you have.

Yep, you are posting and I think most knew that......Obviously you have read the questions..........your response?

Can we start with this one?

"And speaking of running the boards.....can we just have it put out there in clear and plain language as to who actually owns the boards now. Does Chris have any stake in the boards or is it a new regime altogether? Just so that we all know who we are dealing with at this point."

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Yep, you are posting and I think most knew that......Obviously you have read the questions..........your response?

Can we start with this one?

"And speaking of running the boards.....can we just have it put out there in clear and plain language as to who actually owns the boards now. Does Chris have any stake in the boards or is it a new regime altogether? Just so that we all know who we are dealing with at this point."

This was announced last year in September. Its 4 of us that include [MENTION=1957]Wes[/MENTION] [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] and me. Its not been a secret.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jun 30, 2010
You guys realize I'm posting in this thread right? Talk to me, not about me. I'll answer any question you have.

Of course, we hope to get your input and because we know that you still come to the boards the input would be welcomed. This is a great thing you started, I think people are confused about the direction the site is going now since you aren't at the helm anymore. We are just making general current observations about this great site you started. Please don't take anything personal, comments are general in nature....Keep the input coming....

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=2442]mchenrycards[/MENTION] - I found the thread that explains the change in management and have copied it below this post. Thanks for your feedback in this thread, and for the record I have always enjoyed reading your threads even if they don't land in the areas that I enjoy in the hobby (I think I thanked you in a PM at one time, and that was all about a true thanks and nothing to do with me as a MOD ;) ). I certainly respect and appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts and every point is certainly seen and heard. I hope you take the time to post your threads again, even if it is only a few eyes that read and post a reply back. I think a lot of us have had a change in life (for myself having my first child and some tough elder family member challenges), so the frequency is not what it used to be (that is not an excuse, just how I perceive things).

As for what it takes to get advertisements out and such, I think the true start is to get quality back in with the members that are already active. We can invite and see new people here all day long, but if the quality is not there then they have no reason to spend time or stay. I am guilty myself of not actively posting as I once used to, but when I do get the time I do my best to say hello or respond in a thread.

mchenrycards

This was announced last year in September. Its 4 of us that include @Wes @moxacaine @cgilmo and me. Its not been a secret.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I am not trying to start an argument but I didn't think it was clear if Chris had anything more to do with the boards. I will just assume it was my misunderstanding at this point. Thank you for the clarification. It is hell to get old! :)

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
cgilmo ; beware I'm planning a trip to your area next month and I will look you up . please make sure I can buy one pack of sports cards
Once again thanks for this site .

Jun 30, 2010
FYI the total expenditures for a corporate level booth at the national is well over $10,000

Just to clarify and being fair and balanced without confusion, that cost takes into consideration employees, hotel, truck or van rental etc. Corporate rates have started at less than half that price and go up from there depending on size of space. The point made is this....The cost can get pretty darned steep and that is the awful truth.

Members online