Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=9589]mrdallas[/MENTION] - Good stuff! I'd definitely crack the slabbed card out OR slab them all ;)

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
LOL. It has been bugging me now for awhile now too. although unless they all came out with with the same grade that would bug me also. so i will crack it.... but how do you crack them out without damaging them?

@mrdallas - Good stuff! I'd definitely crack the slabbed card out OR slab them all ;)

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
LOL. It has been bugging me now for awhile now too. although unless they all came out with with the same grade that would bug me also. so i will crack it.... but how do you crack them out without damaging them?

Or you could try to track down one that isn't slabbed and work out a trade. The 9.5 is sure to be preferred by some collectors.

Blane

Oct 13, 2012
I've had these for awhile but not sure about the difference between the gold and silver backs. Can someone provide some info? Thanks.
EDGoldampSilverBacks_zps9fb1ece1.jpg

EDGoldampSilverBacks-1_zps21f4f9a8.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
from the variations thread.............
Upper Deck Electric Diamond: some, possibly all series 1 cards come in a "silver" version where the stat heading bar on back is silver instead or bronze

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
BGS slabs are actually the easiest to crack...though most collectors will tell you otherwise. Just a straight slot screwdriver head in the middle of the flip label, running parallel to the length of the slab; one strong hammer whack to the hilt of the driver, and the slab will literally split into 2 pieces down the center with no stress on the card or little shards of plastic.
DSCF9740.jpg

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Why does the look of that picture scare the daylights out of me. :). Is that case cracked through both sides? Amazing that wouldn't damage the card. I am not doubting what you are saying because I have never done it but just looks scary.

BGS slabs are actually the easiest to crack...though most collectors will tell you otherwise. Just a straight slot screwdriver head in the middle of the flip label, running parallel to the length of the slab; one strong hammer whack to the hilt of the driver, and the slab will literally split into 2 pieces down the center with no stress on the card or little shards of plastic.
DSCF9740.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yes, the driver head puts lateral stress on the case and it literally separates into 2 halves, the crack extending through both the front and back of the case. All other methods of cracking a BGS case that I've seen create little granules of plastic that can scratch a card, or worse. I purchased a couple of cheap slabs to practice the first time, but it was effortless and I've done it dozens of times with no negative outcomes. The key is hitting the hilt of the driver hard enough to go through both sides of the case...if you don't get it on try #1 , it won't hurt, but you'll have to hit the driver again.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
Got it in hand today...I will say, especially since I have never held a Grand Finale in hand until today, the difference is UNMISTAKABLE! The hologram was blatantly gold, no questions! As soon as I opened the envelope, I was pretty happy! Dug out my old Gold to scan them side-by-side. Happy to cross this 1997 SPX Grand Finale off the list!

and as one scan:

thanks for the scans on these and congrats on the grand finale! I always was not 100% sure on being able to tell the difference between the two but now seeing two side by side it was easy to know I just have the gold -

Members online