Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for you player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Interested in knowing your thoughts on this.

Back in 1988, the very first shipments of Score had to be delayed because all the cards were cut incorrectly leaving the corners with "extra" cardboard on them (very noticeable and can't find a pic online).

I remember having my order delayed because of it but I know some of these mis cuts made it out.

So my question to you all is would you consider this "version" necessary for your pc?

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about a wrong back or blank back, both are completely random obviously. These were actually issued in a very small quantity until corrected.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've never heard of this, but it would be of interest to me. Sounds comparable to the 1997 Fleer Team Leader cards that can be found with (rare) or without (common) tabs. When I learned of those, I wanted both for the PC. I'd like to see photo evidence of what you're talking about, and if it looks like a legitimate variation, I'd try to find a Grace.

97FLEERTEAMLEADER.jpg
97FLEERTEAMLEADERTAB.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've never heard of this, but it would be of interest to me. Sounds comparable to the 1997 Fleer Team Leader cards that can be found with (rare) or without (common) tabs. When I learned of those, I wanted both for the PC. I'd like to see photo evidence of what you're talking about, and if it looks like a legitimate variation, I'd try to find a Grace.
No, it was nothing like your Grace card, in which a section of his hat was removed.The '88 Score cards had a very tiny piece of extra cardboard on a corner, kind of a fuzzy extension, like the blade wasn't sharp enough to make a clean cut.

I remember when Score first came out and my first packs from KMart had these fuzzy pieces on most cards. I cut off the piece with scissors on the good cards because it annoyed me.I still have all my cards as a kid, but those would be in boxes at my parents' house so I can't take a picture of them now.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'm pretty sure it only happened with the base set, not update so there shouldn't be a Grace.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
If I happened to come across it at a reasonable price, sure. Never hurts to add anything to the collection!

But I probably wouldn't go searching for it or anything. Unless the PC was like almost complete and I was desperate for a chase.. But are PCs ever "complete"?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garbage all the way. I remember getting a bunch of them and thinking what crap it was.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

97FLEERTEAMLEADER.jpg
97FLEERTEAMLEADERTAB.jpg

I always thought these cards were creepy as hell. Fleer should have just left the tabs on and spared us all the pack-issued nightmare fuel.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Okay, now I kind of remember. Like the 3rd and 4th Nokes/McGwire cards in this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Score-Mark-McGwire-Matt-Nokes-Rookie-Sluggers-Lot-of-4-Cards-648-/351213722238?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item51c5f81a7e

No, I wouldn't consider this a variation, just bad quality control from the printer - bad blades on their cutting equipment.
Yes, that's it! Thanks for finding pictures.
I was so annoyed when I first found '88 Score packs. The cards were beautiful (for the time), especially the full-color backs.
But those fuzzy extended corners bugged the crap out of me and I had to cut them off with scissors.

Latest posts