Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So, does Jeter go First Ballot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Jeter doesn't deserve first ballot if the players I mentioned earlier are not first ballot. All of those guys have way better numbers than Jeter.

...way better *power* numbers only........

Jeter would lead that group in the following "numbers"- WS titles (and most WS and post-season stats), hits, BA, singles, WS MVP's, All Star Game MVP's

Second to Bonds in runs, SBs, Gold Gloves, Offensive WAR, triples

I am sure I could find more stats to convey he has the numbers on par or better than that group.

He will be first ballot no question.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
First ballot, definitely. He will not get 100% unless some of the voters who use their votes to deter die in the next 5 years. I think he will get 90% or better.
DANNY

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I don't think anyone will be unanimous because the voters think they are making a point by not having a player go in with 100% of the vote. It's ridiculous.
There's this and the other argument Buster Olney has made about the 10 name limit. Apparently a number of voters will leave off a surefire guy such that they can squeeze another name on the ballot that they fear might otherwise lose eligibility or needs that final push. Think Tim Raines.

I've given up the thought he (or Mo) would get 100%. If Maddux couldn't there's no way anyone else should.

And about the steroid era power guys, I'm hoping it (the problem getting into the HOF) has the desired effect of cleaning up the game. Seems to be working, power numbers are down and we're not seeing tons of suspensions.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I honestly have no earthly idea how people don't understand that Jeter is an automatic LOCK for the 1st ballot. It's not even a discussion.

14x All Star
5x GG
3463+ career hits (6th All Time)
A career .309 avg (just outside Top 100 All Time)
5 World Series Titles
Top 100 All Time Career WAR
Yankees' All Time Hit Leader

Two other things that may not be quantifiable on his stat page, but that will certainly be given consideration:
1) He was the face of the most storied franchise in baseball history his entire career (and was the best player many of those years). His stats alone would get him in easily, but this only strengthens his case.
2) He did all this while playing a premium position as a SS.

Just for fun, here are some of his rankings among shortstops, All Time:
Hits: 1st
Doubles: 4th
HRs: 5th
RBI: 8th
AVG: 6th (Min 5000 ABs)
OBP: 8th (Min 5000 ABs)
WAR: 10th

So he's one of the best offensive shortstops of all time, one of the best pure hitters of all time, one of the most clutch players of all time, one of the greatest Yankees of all time, part of the 3k hit club, a 14x AS, a 5x WS champ...I'm trying to figure out what the case against him is?

Long story short, I would be willing to bet my house that he is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
You're really using his all star appearances? Wasn't he voted into the all star game last year when he never even played!? People vote for that and it has no relevance for anything related to the HOF. Also, he has never been a good defender and won GG's because he didn't make errors. The guy was just above average for a long time. He should not be first ballot.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
You're really using his all star appearances? Wasn't he voted into the all star game last year when he never even played!? People vote for that and it has no relevance for anything related to the HOF. Also, he has never been a good defender and won GG's because he didn't make errors. The guy was just above average for a long time. He should not be first ballot.
He did finish top 10 in offensive war 11 times. I would say that is a bit netter than just above average.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
He did finish top 10 in offensive war 11 times. I would say that is a bit netter than just above average.

I didn't say he just above average offensively. I said he was just above average. Especially at SS, defense is extremely important.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I didn't say he just above average offensively. I said he was just above average. Especially at SS, defense is extremely important.
His defense wasnt nearly as bad as his detractors claim and it doesnt subtract enough from his offensive numbers to make him above average.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Lock 1st ballot.

100% ballot? No..writers were never able to crack Jeter and get him to speak candidly about anything. I'm guessing that grudge hold him back percentage wise.

95%.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Didn't Mike Piazza's crappy defense prevent him getting in first ballot? Why should Jeter get a free pass? And how many MVPs did he receive?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't Mike Piazza's crappy defense prevent him getting in first ballot? Why should Jeter get a free pass? And how many MVPs did he receive?
Mike Piazzas defense had nothing to do with him not being first ballot.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Serious question...have you ever been to the HOF of seen a HOF plaque?
If not, just google Henderson, Carew and Dimaggio for starters and tell me what they all have in common and get back to us.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There always has to be "that guy" who won't vote for a sure shot first ballot no questions asked mega star.....always.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Napoli started the all star game in 2012. It's a fan vote, and they vote for who they like. Yankees have the largest fan base.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
yes i am a hater but Jeter is a first ballot HOFer no doubt about it. No he will not get 100% of the votes.

As some of you may know, i lost respect for the HOF years ago. I think the voting and the whole process is a joke. I also would like to add that the number of All Star games should not be considered since its basically a popularity contest. I mean hell Jeter made the ASG this year and he definitely did not have the stats to back it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts