Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC now offering auctions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I really don't understand the argument. If you ask questions on a public forum you are going to get responses from anyone who might know the answer. If you only want to hear from on person send them a private message.

You can ask him here too. But don't get upset with other members that are trying to be helpful.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I understand posting a question in a public forum rather than via PM so that others can get the info too. I don't know if other forums offer this feature but you can "mention" somebody and they receive a notification.

So maybe [MENTION=10401]Moe@COMC[/MENTION] can check back and clarify some questions. :rolleyes:

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Replace "live" with "placed in your portfolio." You are charged the .25 processing fee when the card info is entered to your portfolio. At that time, you can price the card for sale or not price it and have it sit in your portfolio.

No comment on the other question because I don't understand the system 100% yet either.

Swipe79

Nov 28, 2014
I'll leave it alone until Moe can try and straighten it out for you, but your assumption that live has only one meaning here is incorrect. It's a term that I and others who use the site have equated to being available to price.

live can only mean one thing - LIVE...not READY TO BECOME LIVE...that's a big difference...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
1 - Maybe "go live" is too confusing of a term to use or one that I use in a different manner than you would. A card being "live" means that it is available for you to price. Once they are ready to sell, you pay the fee for the card.

2 - A buyer with the intent to purchase and have the cards shipped to them would use the Simplified Mode. A buyer in Advanced mode is buying to keep the card on site and attempt to flip the card for profit. The advanced mode buyer would not be looking to pay the .25 per item shipping charge. The seller doesn't choose the mode that the cards are listed, it is something that each buyer decides and can turn on/off at will in their user profile.

All items are listed at a base price, the buyer only sees the .25 additional charge if they are in simplified mode. If you buy all of your cards in simplified mode, the $3.00 flat fee applies at shipping time. If you choose to buy in advanced mode and then decide to ship the cards off site, you will pay the .25 per card at that time.

I guess my almost 20,000 cards purchased/sold on the site doesn't qualify me to attempt to answer your questions - if you really are interested in finding out more about COMC, a phone call or direct e-mail to their customer service department would likely yield the results (COMC staff member with facts) much quicker than posting on an internet forum.

I'll leave it alone until Moe can try and straighten it out for you, but your assumption that live has only one meaning here is incorrect. It's a term that I and others who use the site have equated to being available to price.

You are correct Swipe. Don't worry about this guy. Just PM Moe. COMC's structure is really not that difficult to understand. I continually have no idea why everyone and their mothers can't figure it out. When they get your cards you are charged .25 per card that is taken out of your credit. Then there is a slight storage fee (after 90 days I believe) that kicks in of a penny a month per card priced above .75 cents.

That is all the fees you are charged.

BUT yes PM Moe. He is always very understanding and is easy to talk to and probalby can articulate this all better than us apparently.

GL getting your answers game****fanatic. I hope you try COMC and love it! I by far like it more than ebay.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I just saw the first auction for a Bagwell card. Went to try and buy a card cuz the price was perfect, then it said it was an auction. Forget it.

i go to comc for the ability to hit buy now, and not having to place a bid and wait seven days to see if i win it. If i wanted to deal with bidding bs, then ill go hunt the card down on ebay and wait to get sniped at the last second. Please comc, dont go the auction route. The buy now button and make offer button are working perfectly fine.

dont go changin

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
going to address this to moe since i'm assuming his answers would be "official" .....(no offense intended to anyone else , but i can definitely say i've seen so much conflicting info posted by comc USERS on various message boards over the past few months that i'd just like to know the answer is coming directly from someone on staff)

not quite that familiar with that aspect of the site so that really doesn't tell me anything ....as such let me pose a hypothetical situation (with my questions along the way)...

1) i submit 100 cards......do i have to pay $25 out of pocket as soon as i send them in ? if yes , that's a $.25 submission fee...if no money changes hand yet , go to step 2.....

2) i get a notice that all 100 cards are ready for me to review and price.....(in this scenario i'll assume all are correctly identified though i know based on my searches for similar items that most of what i have available is NOT labeled correctly right now).....if payment was NOT due at the time of SUBMISSION , then is the $25 payment due NOW ? if yes , then it's essentially a $.25 processing fee....if nothing is due yet , go to step 3.....

3) i review everything and price every card at $1....if no payment has been required up to this point , is is due NOW before the cards get posted or does it come due AFTER they are posted ?

4) all items are posted ....i'm assuming that by now my submission/processing/listing fees have been collected so i've spent $25 and now have 100 cards listed....for BUYERS , will they see the prices as $1 each or $1.25 each ? if they appear as $1.25 , would that not be the second quarter taken in by comc on each item ? also , if i submitted 100 and only priced 80 , would my initial fees be based on the total submission (100 cards) , total processed (still 100) , or total actually priced and posted (80) ?

Hi...now, it's my understanding that you are *not* a COMC user, correct? No worries - the system is a lot easier to understand, once you get your feet wet. Hopefully, I can help clarify some things before you send in some cards. (he said hopefully)

You send in 100 cards, for Basic Processing. That service is 25 cents/card, and sees your cards deposited into your portfolio between 2-8 weeks of being received by us (right now, our average deposit time is ~35 days). The processing fee is paid to us when the card is deposited into your portfolio, and deducted from your store account.

Once the cards are deposited, they're available for you to price via your Inventory Manager page. This page has a description and image of every card you have, wherein you can review the images and the text, to ensure the cards are identified correctly. There is also a place where you can set the price for the cards, and once the cards are priced then they are considered "live" - meaning they are available for the buying public to search, view, make offers on, or buy outright.

Once the cards are "live" (available for purchase) the price the buyers see will depend on what mode their profile is set - if they are in the Simplified mode, then the $0.25 S&H fee is part of the price they see. If they are in the Advanced mode, they see the price that the seller is asking. So, If you set your price to $1, and I'm in Simplified mode, I'll see $1.25. If I buy that card, you'll get your $1 and the system records the fact that I paid $0.25 for the S&H of that card, which will be processed when I request a shipment for that card.

While it is a second quarter, it's paid for a different process. The seller pays a quarter to get the card processed and made available on the website. The buyer pays a quarter to prepare the card for shipment. Two different quarters, paid for two different purposes.

If I'm missing anything, please let me know with a followup and I'll do my best to answer those questions, too.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
I just saw the first auction for a Bagwell card. Went to try and buy a card cuz the price was perfect, then it said it was an auction. Forget it.

i go to comc for the ability to hit buy now, and not having to place a bid and wait seven days to see if i win it. If i wanted to deal with bidding bs, then ill go hunt the card down on ebay and wait to get sniped at the last second. Please comc, dont go the auction route. The buy now button and make offer button are working perfectly fine.

dont go changin

Hi, We're not going to auctions only; it's something that people have been asking us to do for a long time, and we're now able to offer it as an option for our users, but it'll be just an option.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis

dont go changin

My sentiments exactly. I saw a card for $2.75, loaded credit, tried to buy it, only to see the auction listing. Said forget it.

Card sold for ~$16 at auction and is now conveniently priced at $35 for me to buy it now.

Awesome.

[MENTION=10401]Moe@COMC[/MENTION]

If you can provide feedback something the site needs more than anything is a saved search feature. Would check much more regularly if I didn't have to type in the search queries every time I visit.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There is no better customer service than comc, hands down.

There's also no better place to buy cards than comc. Think I've bought only one or two card related items on ebay this year.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I saw someone say that when you look at cards now it shows the auction prices. So it could say 1.00-10.00 for a cards price with 20 available. But 19 of them are priced from 10-20 BIN but that 1.00 card is an auction. They should not show auction prices in the main catalog. ONLY SHOW AUCTION PRICES IN THE AUCTION TAB.

If what I saw someone say is true then it's damn ridiculous that they think that should be the way it works. Keep the auctions in a separate area. Do not integrate them into the full catalog. Simple and it needs to be addressed because this could really hurt sellers and buyers and not really benefit anyone.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I really don't understand the argument. If you ask questions on a public forum you are going to get responses from anyone who might know the answer. If you only want to hear from on person send them a private message.

You can ask him here too. But don't get upset with other members that are trying to be helpful.

i know it's a public forum , but i'd specifically mentioned that due to seeing plenty of conflicting comments from USERS , i was just trying to get the word from a staffer - and i only did that HERE because someone from the site posted during the current conversation....that's all - like i said , not trying to offend anybody , but wanted to get it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak just to put my own mind at ease....

I understand posting a question in a public forum rather than via PM so that others can get the info too. I don't know if other forums offer this feature but you can "mention" somebody and they receive a notification.

So maybe @Moe@COMC can check back and clarify some questions. :rolleyes:

i've seen the little "mentioned" tag under people's avatars but not quite sure how that works....does the system automatically detect when another user's Id is included in a message or is it something a poster has to do manually ?

Replace "live" with "placed in your portfolio." You are charged the .25 processing fee when the card info is entered to your portfolio. At that time, you can price the card for sale or not price it and have it sit in your portfolio.

No comment on the other question because I don't understand the system 100% yet either.

i like that choice or wording.....i've bought and sold online for 15+ years and i had honestly never heard anyone say an item was live BEFORE it was actually , well , live....perhaps in queue ? that does seem to make sense...so that would mean every item sent in is assessed the fee even if the seller chooses not to price it and make it available to the buyers....gotcha...

You are correct Swipe. Don't worry about this guy. Just PM Moe. COMC's structure is really not that difficult to understand. I continually have no idea why everyone and their mothers can't figure it out. When they get your cards you are charged .25 per card that is taken out of your credit. Then there is a slight storage fee (after 90 days I believe) that kicks in of a penny a month per card priced above .75 cents.

That is all the fees you are charged.

BUT yes PM Moe. He is always very understanding and is easy to talk to and probalby can articulate this all better than us apparently.

GL getting your answers game****fanatic. I hope you try COMC and love it! I by far like it more than ebay.

i don't know if the set-up their is hard to understand or not....i've never had issues with any other site and i've often been one to help tutor others ....that said , it just seems that almost everything i've read about cocm (specifically the fine print pertaining to fees and such) that was posted by USERS , was quite quickly contradicted by one or more OTHER USERS....not having used the site myself , i have no way to know which user is right and which is wrong....simple as that.....

i do still love ebay (though the recent changes to the automatic re-lists has left me with more work than i'd like) but i'm hoping to expand into comc very soon (hopefully shortly after the first of the year , after i find a new home since i'm losing this one in 15 days due to the death of my landlord - if anyone knows of CHEAP housing that allows a houseful pets in the central south carolina area by all means let me know ASAP)

Hi...now, it's my understanding that you are *not* a COMC user, correct? No worries - the system is a lot easier to understand, once you get your feet wet. Hopefully, I can help clarify some things before you send in some cards. (he said hopefully)

correct - not a user yet...i've been browsing there for the past 6 months or so and finally registered about 2-3 months ago....

You send in 100 cards, for Basic Processing. That service is 25 cents/card, and sees your cards deposited into your portfolio between 2-8 weeks of being received by us (right now, our average deposit time is ~35 days). The processing fee is paid to us when the card is deposited into your portfolio, and deducted from your store account.

as a newly registered user , i know that i have no balance in a store account....how is that funded in the beginning ? pay pal payment ? credit/debit card placed on file ?

Once the cards are deposited, they're available for you to price via your Inventory Manager page. This page has a description and image of every card you have, wherein you can review the images and the text, to ensure the cards are identified correctly. There is also a place where you can set the price for the cards, and once the cards are priced then they are considered "live" - meaning they are available for the buying public to search, view, make offers on, or buy outright.

you mentioned previously that if a card is submitted and is either misidentified or lacks a full ID ( a brand followed only by [???] ) that the owner should report it right away....how quick is the typical adjustment time and does the owner get a new notice that the corrections have been made ? you also noted that it's mostly new items or items from a "challenge" (no clue about that) that are still mislabeled....the items i found that were all mislabeled were mostly from 1994-1999 and even 3 months after i reported corrections they still had not been corrected...that is a cause of concern for me....

Once the cards are "live" (available for purchase) the price the buyers see will depend on what mode their profile is set - if they are in the Simplified mode, then the $0.25 S&H fee is part of the price they see. If they are in the Advanced mode, they see the price that the seller is asking. So, If you set your price to $1, and I'm in Simplified mode, I'll see $1.25. If I buy that card, you'll get your $1 and the system records the fact that I paid $0.25 for the S&H of that card, which will be processed when I request a shipment for that card.

While it is a second quarter, it's paid for a different process. The seller pays a quarter to get the card processed and made available on the website. The buyer pays a quarter to prepare the card for shipment. Two different quarters, paid for two different purposes.

better explanation.....but it does give rise to just a few more questions....can users (buyers) switch back and forth between modes ? if so , is there anything in place to prevent them all from buying in advanced mode to save the .25 fee and then instead of re-listing the items , either get them all shipped out or switch modes and then request a delivery ? and finally (i hope) if a buyer uses advanced mode and then opts to have the cards shipped , and they do not fall into the flat $3 shipping plan , what is the cost (per card or as a total shipment) ?

If I'm missing anything, please let me know with a followup and I'll do my best to answer those questions, too.

much appreciated.....if all goes well , i'll be gradually putting together my first package over the next 30-60 days....now for THAT , i will most likely be asking for input from USERS who know what sells and at what levels....

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If you can provide feedback something the site needs more than anything is a saved search feature. Would check much more regularly if I didn't have to type in the search queries every time I visit.

I have my search saved in my browsers favorites. I loaded Bagwell, Most recent, hit enter, and then saved that page. Now, whenever i log on each night, i just hit that shortcut in my favorites and bam! New Bagwells for me to drool over.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If what I saw someone say is true then it's damn ridiculous that they think that should be the way it works. Keep the auctions in a separate area. Do not integrate them into the full catalog. Simple and it needs to be addressed because this could really hurt sellers and buyers and not really benefit anyone.

I agree with this wholeheartedly

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i've seen the little "mentioned" tag under people's avatars but not quite sure how that works....does the system automatically detect when another user's Id is included in a message or is it something a poster has to do manually ?

The poster just adds "@" to the front of the other user's id and the system sends them a notification that they've been mentioned. The notification shows up near the top right corner of the screen if you're on a computer.

I have my search saved in my browsers favorites. I loaded Bagwell, Most recent, hit enter, and then saved that page. Now, whenever i log on each night, i just hit that shortcut in my favorites and bam! New Bagwells for me to drool over.

That's what I do for my Olerud search as well. Only hitch is that when I do see a new card that I need I still have to log in to be able to add it to my watchlist.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
That's what I do for my Olerud search as well. Only hitch is that when I do see a new card that I need I still have to log in to be able to add it to my watchlist.

Same here. I sign in, it takes me back to my summary page, then I just click my saved link again and it goes to the results, but this time im signed in.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
My sentiments exactly. I saw a card for $2.75, loaded credit, tried to buy it, only to see the auction listing. Said forget it.

Card sold for ~$16 at auction and is now conveniently priced at $35 for me to buy it now.

Awesome.

[MENTION=10401]Moe@COMC[/MENTION]

We do have something like that now - If you use our RSS Feature, you can save a set of search results and receive an email notification when something is added which fits the search parameters. Simply click the orange button to the left of the criteria of a completed search - your browser will do the rest.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
I saw someone say that when you look at cards now it shows the auction prices. So it could say 1.00-10.00 for a cards price with 20 available. But 19 of them are priced from 10-20 BIN but that 1.00 card is an auction. They should not show auction prices in the main catalog. ONLY SHOW AUCTION PRICES IN THE AUCTION TAB.

Let me point this out, so no one gets hurt: if you look in the left hand column of your search results, you'll scroll down and see a selection called "Listing Format" - those radio buttons give you the ability to filter out the auctions and just search for the "Buy it Now" cards.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
I was going to "reply with quote" but it looked way too messy, so I'll cut and paste your questions and add my answers here:

"as a newly registered user , i know that i have no balance in a store account....how is that funded in the beginning ? pay pal payment ? credit/debit card placed on file ? "

You can add store credit to your account via Paypal - on your COMC dashboard, there's a link that says "Purchase Store Credit". Just follow that link and you're good to go - we also accept checks and money orders, that you can mail to us and we'll deposit the money into your account when we receive the mail from you.

"you mentioned previously that if a card is submitted and is either misidentified or lacks a full ID ( a brand followed only by [???] ) that the owner should report it right away....how quick is the typical adjustment time and does the owner get a new notice that the corrections have been made ? you also noted that it's mostly new items or items from a "challenge" (no clue about that) that are still mislabeled....the items i found that were all mislabeled were mostly from 1994-1999 and even 3 months after i reported corrections they still had not been corrected...that is a cause of concern for me.... "

The fix should be applied within 24 hours, those are the expectations from management - obviously, that's not happening, but measures are being taken to get the majority of corrections (especially the old ones) done by the end of the year. That's the goal, anyways...

"better explanation.....but it does give rise to just a few more questions....can users (buyers) switch back and forth between modes ? if so , is there anything in place to prevent them all from buying in advanced mode to save the .25 fee and then instead of re-listing the items , either get them all shipped out or switch modes and then request a delivery ? and finally (i hope) if a buyer uses advanced mode and then opts to have the cards shipped , and they do not fall into the flat $3 shipping plan , what is the cost (per card or as a total shipment) ? "

Buyers can switch back and forth between modes, but it won't do them any good - the system records how each card was purchased and any cards that are purchased under "Advanced" mode will raise a flag with shipping, if/when the buyer attempts to request a shipment with that card. Raw cards have a S&H fee of $0.25, encased cards are $1.

I hope this helps...be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help

Latest posts