Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Renews Topps' exclusive license through 2020.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
How is this lucky? Shouldnt it mean you get to chase new cards? Why do you do it if you do not enjoy it?

Probably because he is a completest(that probably isn't even a word) and it means more funds to chase the bigger cards when they pop up. Nothing worse than two big cards popping up say the same time and only being able to go after one.

I'm hofmichael and I approve this message.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Topps is here in vegas with the usual amount of guys.

Have to be happy that ud got a mlbpa license. Have to find out what that means for panini.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Glad Topps has a baseball license as they are the best of the card producers IMO, but why MLB is allowing them to monopolize the baseball card industry makes no sense. Competition inspires innovation, which allows an industry to improve and move forward. No competition allows for complacency, laziness, and of course, horrendous customer service.

And as far as I'm concerned, the hobby is no different than it was in 2010. What have they done to bring in new collectors?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Glad Topps has a baseball license as they are the best of the card producers IMO, but why MLB is allowing them to monopolize the baseball card industry makes no sense. Competition inspires innovation, which allows an industry to improve and move forward. No competition allows for complacency, laziness, and of course, horrendous customer service.

And as far as I'm concerned, the hobby is no different than it was in 2010. What have they done to bring in new collectors?

MLB doesn't care about any of that stuff. They only care about $$$, and Topps is throwing boatloads of it at them.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I think the reason Topps license was reupped its the majority of their products have a $3_5 etc. MLB has said all asking they want younger collectors involved. Upper Deck and Panini have barely any products under $5 per pack. Mlb doesn't give a damn about product design or content not should they.

I'm hofmichael and I approve this message.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its quite funny to think that some people think the MLB giving Topps the license is the same as MLB giving Topps one of these:
new-ghk-seal-logo-mdn.jpg

(For those too young to know, this is the vaunted 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval'. )

An idea for the board would be to come up with an 'FCB Seal of Approval' and see if everyone could agree what sets or manufacturers it should be given to... but of course nobody here would ever be able to agree which sets or manufacturers should receive it LOL.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012

This is the sport that still relies on morbidly obese guys to call balls & strikes, and still hasn't put in a good drug testing program.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This is the sport that still relies on morbidly obese guys to call balls & strikes, and still hasn't put in a good drug testing program.

Actually didn't MLB institute new standards for umpires after one had a heart attack on the field and later died on Opening Day a few years ago? (I think it was an Expos game in the mid-90's.)

I agree that the Topps/MLB relationship is purely business and has little if anything to do with growing the hobby.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
How is this lucky? Shouldnt it mean you get to chase new cards? Why do you do it if you do not enjoy it?

It's absolutely a fair question. I started to type a long response but it's really not that complicated for me. The simple answer is that I absolutely LOVE collecting baseball cards.

There have been very few cards of Vizquel coming out the last few years, so there's not much to get excited about. The new releases have been pretty standard, ho-hum, or in the case of 2012 UD SP Signature Pride of A Nation Combo Signatures... 100% Grade-A Pure Crap.

Vizquel retiring at the same time Topps keeps their monopoly is a coincidence that basically forces my hand. How much fun is it if Omar plays another year and I can "chase" the new Target Retro variation? Hitting the $0.99 "Buy It Now" the day it was released isn't what I enjoy about collecting. I'd rather figure out some creative way to find the few cards left on my want-list, even if it only happens a couple times per year. I'll absolutely continue adding tickets from games Vizquel played in. And maybe now I can satisfy the collecting bug with larger-ticket items that I passed on before because there were mountains of cards to chase.

There's a caveat... if someone released some creative, attractive, well-designed cards, I'd be super excited and get back to hunting them in a hurry.

It's not a license based on give a XXXX. It's a license based on give a check. Topps dropped the funds. They get the license.

I was.. In the beginning supportive of topps being the source. Figuring they would have time to do things right. I think they blew that.

topps does A LOT of things right and they are the best choice for a single provider. As wrong as it may be.. While I wish panini and ud were allowed to compete how would todays hobby handle the glut of cards on the market?

I'm old Greg

It's not a license based on give a XXXX. It's a license based on give a check. Topps dropped the funds. They get the license.

I was.. In the beginning supportive of topps being the source. Figuring they would have time to do things right. I think they blew that.

topps does A LOT of things right
and they are the best choice for a single provider. As wrong as it may be.. While I wish panini and ud were allowed to compete how would todays hobby handle the glut of cards on the market?

I'm old Greg

Name 10 :)

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

topps does A LOT of things right and they are the best choice for a single provider. As wrong as it may be.. While I wish panini and ud were allowed to compete how would todays hobby handle the glut of cards on the market?

Ordinarily one would think hobbyists constantly buying and selling would understand basic market and industry dynamics... what does this all say about the general level of hobby sophistication? Hate to say this, but who wouldn't want to sell in this environment of nice, impressionable people?

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i will still buy what i like. this year its been leaf and pannini. license or not. i think that they had some great cards this year.
topps has been stinkin for a while, they dont care and either do i.

Members online

Latest posts