Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just liquidated the collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
that jackie cut sale was crazy, top..as well as the ryan howard. esp the ryan howard. holy crap that sold for a lot.

what was your estimate vs actual? over/under? good or bad?

dave

Sent from my iPhone using FCB Gangnam Style mobile app

There's a lot of stuff that has not been listed yet but so far I'm in the ballpark on what I hoped for.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Having all that stuff come up at once probably hurt. People interested in the 3000 Club autos might be able to go deep on one or the other, but not both on the same night, so bids were probably divided.

Definitely true. Looking just economically, selling like this was foolish. Personally though there was an element of moving on which I felt was important and so whatever the results, I'm ok with it.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Seems like Probstein123 just listed another great batch of cards :)

Looks like another huge chunk of my collection (mostly graded RC Auto's) went up tonight. So strange seeing them being sold, but such is life...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You may actually do better than you hoped selling your Carl Crawford rookies, if you haven't already.
He's leading the league in hits and batting .392.
It's a great comeback after the last two years.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
You may actually do better than you hoped selling your Carl Crawford rookies, if you haven't already.
He's leading the league in hits and batting .392.
It's a great comeback after the last two years.

The first by bunch ended before the season started so those did not benefit but some of the graded ones are up now so that should help. In general though its great to see him doing well. I followed his play practically every day for like 10 years...

kemputer

Sep 12, 2009
[MENTION=2002]Topnotchsy[/MENTION],

Assuming that this process is over for you by now, do you have any final thoughts on how things went?

I'm considering doing something similar in the near future. What went well? What would you do differently? Are you happy with your consigner?

Thanks for your insights,

Jeff

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
@Topnotchsy,

Assuming that this process is over for you by now, do you have any final thoughts on how things went?

I'm considering doing something similar in the near future. What went well? What would you do differently? Are you happy with your consigner?

Thanks for your insights,

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

It's pretty much wrapped up other than a couple of things that were sent for authentication, so I can give my thoughts.

I definitely was pleased consigning with Rick (Probstein123). He's easy to work with, professional and his rates are really low (because his eBay fees are lower because he is a Powerseller and because his shipping rates are reduced [not sure if he has some sort of corporate account or how all that works but his shipping was far less than it would have cost me] the price including his fee was basically the same as if I had sold them myself which was nice. The day after the listings ended he emailed a spreadsheet with the breakdown of price etc. In general he's looking to sell items that are $25 or more, which I was fine with. I just made big lots of the "junk" auto's and that did fine. In general his listings are done pretty well but if you are particular you can send him the title (I did that with a couple of items. I'm a little anal about that and spent time over the years figuring out the best way to list so on some items I wrote up the title, which took no time because I know my items well, though it is definitely not necessary).

As far as selling out, there are some things that are somewhat unavoidable. Timing is always an issue. For example I sold a whole bunch of Jordan Zimmermann Auto's knowing that they'd likely go up dramatically with a couple more good starts which is exactly what happened (after I sold them). Same for some other players. I had a ton of Hanley Ramirez and selling while he's on the DL certainly wasn't a great move It's inevitable that you won't be selling everything at a good time if you liquidate. For me I felt like I wanted to get all out now, so I gave him everything, but that's a decision that probably cost me a bit but sits fine with me because I felt I needed it.

For those who have picked up large quantities of a specific card, there is also the possible issue of flooding eBay and getting lower prices. I experimented with doing some as lots and some individually. Rick had recommended listing them separately and in hindsight he was definitely right as those did much better than the lots.

Any other questions feel free to drop me a line. I don't want to ignore the fact that there are really good guys here on the boards as well who consign, but I certainly would recommend Rick.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
topnotchsy- Best of luck to you. I've sold my collection numerous times. Thought I was done but I was wrong. Thrill of the hunt I guess. Take it easy. Donovan

jdowg84

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know what you collect, but I would certainly be interested in buying some 2007 bowman's best autos if you have any.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know what you collect, but I would certainly be interested in buying some 2007 bowman's best autos if you have any.

Collection has all been moved (although I don't think I had any 2007 Bowman's Best autos). Thanks

Members online

Latest posts