Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
Wow. Missed this by 3 minutes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1999-METAL-UNIVERSE-PRECIOUS-METAL-GEMS-50-95-MARINERS-FUT-HOFER-/111298884178?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19e9ee3252

These types of auctions happen maybe once or twice a year; just gotta be that lucky one that sees it first!

These always blow me away, how could it be listed so low?! Especially BIN

I saw this one go out a few weeks ago, sold before I could log into paypal.

Not as low as /50 but still /100 and those PM always fetch near 200 during auction when Griffey

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ultra-...1138822240?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4d19697060

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
How many of you have this jumbo GU Griffey card?

93C98SPA.jpg

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
can someone explain the 1989 topps heads up? whats the test? and can these be gotten anywhere? i seen a few boxes of the heads up but didnt grab them.

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
can someone explain the 1989 topps heads up? whats the test? and can these be gotten anywhere? i seen a few boxes of the heads up but didnt grab them.

Wikipedia :

Heads Up! (24) This issue featured a 'shrunken head' die-cut of a player's head and hat printed on heavy cardboard. This was originally issued as a test set in 1989 to select locations in Pennsylvania. Because of its limited distribution, the test set remains a rare and difficult to obtain collector's item. The set was released into production in the following year. The backs have a peel-off adhesive strip and a small hole cut in the card to insert a plastic suction cup for mounting the card on hard surfaces. The player's name, team, card number and year "1989" are printed in black on the reverse. The cards were distributed in boxes of 24 with the cards individually wrapped in sealed packages. Size: 4½ × 6½ inches. Players in order by their card numbers within the set are:

Tony Gwynn
Will Clark
Doc Gooden
Ricky Jordan
Ken Griffey Jr.
Darryl Strawberry
Frank Viola
Bo Jackson
Ryne Sandberg
Gregg Jeffries
Wade Boggs
Ellis Burks
Gary Sheffield
Mark McGwire
Mark Grace
Jim Abbott
Ozzie Smith
Jose Canseco
Don Mattingly
Kirby Puckett
Eric Davis
Mike Greenwell
Dale Murphy
Mike Schmidt

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the print run was in the 25 to 30 range

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
havnt posted things from my collection in a while so here are some more recent pick ups or sets i almost complete or have

just got the last letter for JUNIOR non auto

GriffeyJr

Apr 21, 2013
havnt posted things from my collection in a while so here are some more recent pick ups or sets i almost complete or have

just got the last letter for JUNIOR non auto

Great stuff but I'm really really REALLY hoping that spray can you bought off Ebay came with a COA - I saw the item as well and passed it up as there have been numerous frauds of those in the past the bat tar can spray.

COA?

Adrian.

May 16, 2013
Hey everybody,

Long time lurker, life long Griffey collector. I don't have much (compared to some of you), but I hope to get a few pics online soon.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever found a black game used bat card? It's just a weird oxymoron that's always irked me. I've always seen Griffey use black bats and all of his bat cards are the traditional shade.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hey everybody,

Long time lurker, life long Griffey collector. I don't have much (compared to some of you), but I hope to get a few pics online soon.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever found a black game used bat card? It's just a weird oxymoron that's always irked me. I've always seen Griffey use black bats and all of his bat cards are the traditional shade.

Hi Adrian, welcome!

I recently joined as well and reading this thread has been enjoyable and interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you have.

Great point about Griffey's "game used" bats - he always used a black bat. Never realized this.......very interesting. I don't collect his game-used cards, but hopefully some of the guys that do in here can offer their knowledge/opinion/expertise.

Members online