Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Tri Star Show & the Case of the GRUMPY Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I still find most older dealers unapproachable.. they are the ones that are not internet sellers but have done the show circuits forever. They have not plugged into reality in many cases and trying to get cards "at Ebay price" is like insulting them. I get the having to pay table and travel fee's but if your not selling anything cause your a grumpy ******* how does that help you?

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
What an idiot and a complete scumbag and the reason this hobby is struggling to attract the younger generations...ugh. Just horrible.

On another note, did someone mention a Doerr bat card?!? ;)

Thanks,
Jeff

I guess you would be the man to talk to about that! On another note, I have about 4 Doerr autographed clear labels that I was planning on taking the bat card, popping the bat piece out and putting the auto label on a custom :)

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
I guess you would be the man to talk to about that! On another note, I have about 4 Doerr autographed clear labels that I was planning on taking the bat card, popping the bat piece out and putting the auto label on a custom :)

I like to think I am! And that's awesome-would love to see to the finished product when you are done!

Thanks,
Jeff

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
Unfortunately were in a hobby where shops / shows etc are filled with people who feel entitled and lack people skills. Sorry for the experience.

Ryan

"Dealers" and "Hobby" don't really mix. Once it becomes a business, you get a different kind of personality (or lose part of the personality). Many older dealers are total curmudgeons also, and piss poor business people. That stinks.

BamKat

Jan 23, 2015
I still find most older dealers unapproachable.. they are the ones that are not internet sellers but have done the show circuits forever. They have not plugged into reality in many cases and trying to get cards "at Ebay price" is like insulting them. I get the having to pay table and travel fee's but if your not selling anything cause your a grumpy ******* how does that help you?
+1

Last time I was at the Tristar show in Houston, I was looking for a specific card/player. I noticed a table had an entire stack of them wrapped in a rubber band... I asked him if he had any of the player I was looking for and he said he had never heard of him. He handed me the stack and I looked at them all and he had the card I was looking for!! 1934 Goudey Ray Benge. I asked him how much and he said $150... I just handed them all back knowing I could buy one for $20 in WAY better condition & not wrapped up with a rubber band on eBay.

Last edited:

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I had a guy like that once. I was at a show years back and saw someone had a box of star wars figures still in there original packaging. I was tired and spacing out and didn't see the small sign "do not touch" And slowly and carefully pulled one out. he yelled at me "HEY DONT TOUCH" I carefully put it back. im not a kid and I know how to handle things. Why would you have it sitting out if you don't want people going through your box? When I walked away another dealer said "that's not good for business" Bottom line. he lost a sale.

Members online

Latest posts