Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A rant on eBay buyers with NO TACT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
A quick rant on some eBay buyers in general

This is directed at the buyers who have absolutely zero clue what tact is. If you want to buy something on eBay from someone and think or even know that an item is overpriced, insulting the seller and telling them the Price of their item is not the way to go. It is a quick way to lose all credibility and willingness from a seller to work with you. If you want the item or are interested, maybe try a different approach. Maybe reach out to the seller and say… I am interested in this card/item but it is out of my price range. If you ever decide to come down in price please keep me in mind. Just, anything other than trying to tell someone what THEIR card is WORTH. It isn’t your card, you are not required to buy or even LOOK at it. As a buyer and seller I am from both sides of the coin.

As a buyer: are there cards that I want that I feel are overvalued. Of course I do. Do I fault the seller for pricing it high? NO. It is their card. THEY can do what they want with it. Would I ever tell a seller what their card is worth and try and shame them into lowering the price. NOPE. Tell me how many times this has ever worked for you? I will try to build a rapport with that seller in a positive way then, see if they would negotiate/work with me.

As a seller: Any person that tries to TELL me “how it is” immediately goes on my BLOCK list. Do I price things up high? I do, because I am in no need or rush to sell, and if someone is willing to pay a premium for a card then I will be willing to sell it. Also, if people approach me in a reasonable/positive manner then I also may be willing to negotiate a deal, or at the least I keep an open conversation. Then, if I ever do decide to sell at a lower price, they are on my list of people I will reach out to and make a deal.

This isn’t a call out to anyone in particular; I am just tired of some people telling me HOW IT IS? Enough already!!!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
This is correct; I'm majorly a buyer on eBay and there are plenty of times that I wish a BIN was priced at what it would go for at auction. I messaged a seller about this once that I'd be willing to offer $50 more than what it'd likely go for at auction and he basically said that's why I only do BIN because I'm interested in earning a premium. It's not the seller being a ******, it's a very fair perspective to sell from.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
This is correct; I'm majorly a buyer on eBay and there are plenty of times that I wish a BIN was priced at what it would go for at auction. I messaged a seller about this once that I'd be willing to offer $50 more than what it'd likely go for at auction and he basically said that's why I only do BIN because I'm interested in earning a premium. It's not the seller being a ******, it's a very fair perspective to sell from.

If you made your offer, and he said "thats why I only do BIN because I'm interested in earning a premium", then chances are , in the future, if his item hasnt sold you can always reach back out to him with no hard feelings. You didnt burn your bridge so to speak. I notice that some seller are more than willing to have an open discussion when you approach it in a professional manner. It just boggles my mind though, because it seems like common sense. But SO many people seem to be lacking it.

A_Pharis

The line I usually give to sellers is:

"If this listing doesn't sell for BIN, would you consider relisting with a Best Offer option?"

I normally get a good response. Oh, and I only do that if it's nearly finished in its current listing.

BamKat

Jan 23, 2015
I respectfully disagree, sir. As an eBay buyer I always contact the seller and offer him/her a lower price for cards. It can not hurt to ask! All they have to do is say no. If you as a seller feel the need to block me. No problem! Block me...That will not hurt my feelings.

As an eBay seller. I always am very courteous to these request and repectfully decline or come back with a number that I am more comfortable with. I never take it personal! I dont blame the buyer.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I respectfully disagree, sir. As an eBay buyer I always contact the seller and offer him/her a lower price for cards. It can not hurt to ask! All they have to do is say no. If you as a seller feel the need to block me. No problem! Block me...That will not hurt my feelings.

As an eBay seller. I always am very courteous to these request and repectfully decline or come back with a number that I am more comfortable with. I never take it personal! I dont blame the buyer.

You are missing the point here I think. I am not upest in the slightest when someone offers me a lower price. Of course not. That is not what I am saying. By all means, offering a lower price is part of it and when I offer BIN or best offer I expect a lower offer. My issue is in the first contact they are TELLING me in a condescending and overly arrogant way what they think of the price. That is what is irritating. My point is there is a right way to approach it and wrong way.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio

This is directed at the buyers who have absolutely zero clue what tact is. If you want to buy something on eBay from someone and think or even know that an item is overpriced, insulting the seller and telling them the Price of their item is not the way to go. It is a quick way to lose all credibility and willingness from a seller to work with you. If you want the item or are interested, maybe try a different approach. Maybe reach out to the seller and say… I am interested in this card/item but it is out of my price range. If you ever decide to come down in price please keep me in mind. Just, anything other than trying to tell someone what THEIR card is WORTH. It isn’t your card, you are not required to buy or even LOOK at it. As a buyer and seller I am from both sides of the coin.

As a buyer: are there cards that I want that I feel are overvalued. Of course I do. Do I fault the seller for pricing it high? NO. It is their card. THEY can do what they want with it. Would I ever tell a seller what their card is worth and try and shame them into lowering the price. NOPE. Tell me how many times this has ever worked for you? I will try to build a rapport with that seller in a positive way then, see if they would negotiate/work with me.

As a seller: Any person that tries to TELL me “how it is” immediately goes on my BLOCK list. Do I price things up high? I do, because I am in no need or rush to sell, and if someone is willing to pay a premium for a card then I will be willing to sell it. Also, if people approach me in a reasonable/positive manner then I also may be willing to negotiate a deal, or at the least I keep an open conversation. Then, if I ever do decide to sell at a lower price, they are on my list of people I will reach out to and make a deal.

This isn’t a call out to anyone in particular; I am just tired of some people telling me HOW IT IS? Enough already!!!

I've never heard the term 'No Tact' so I guess it's a regional thing from where you are in the country such as 'Y'all' in the south.

As a 99% buyer on ebay, what does it hurt to ask for a lower price from the seller? I ask at flea markets, yard sales and live auctions all the time. Ebay sellers know what their item is worth and what it should sell for. Buyers know what item are worth and what they're willing to pay for the item depending on needs/wants. I've asked many sellers if they'd be willing to sell the item for my offer price after being listed three times without a sale, most have agreed. Most sellers want to move the cards rather than keep listing over and over hoping one day a buyer will come along and give them the full asking price. After a while, it becomes non economical for the same card to keep being relisted with no interest from buyers. As a seller of an item, yes, you have the item, but if the cash is what you desire more, then you better at least be willing to entertain offers. If a buyer comes back with a snide remark, cut your time investment with the buyer and dont get into an email squabble with them.

I had a Jeter card on ebay last month, I wanted $4.00 for it with free shipping. The buyer offered me a $1.00 and still wanted the free shipping. I told him I was basically selling the card for $1 but the other $3 was for the bubble mailer and postage. He emailed back with all kinds of nasty narratives, I didnt respond. A day later, the same buyer bought it for the $4.00. See, it didnt hurt for him to ask, but it depends on how bad he wanted/needed the card. I didnt get into an email flame war, the card was sold, guess he's happy, he left positive feedback.

Fordman

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I could rant about the lack of tact in every day dealings with a lot of people much less ebay buyers, particularly online interactions though. Modern business I suppose. Block the buyer and lower your price and stick it to him

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I've never heard the term 'No Tact' so I guess it's a regional thing from where you are in the country such as 'Y'all' in the south.

As a 99% buyer on ebay, what does it hurt to ask for a lower price from the seller? I ask at flea markets, yard sales and live auctions all the time. Ebay sellers know what their item is worth and what it should sell for. Buyers know what item are worth and what they're willing to pay for the item depending on needs/wants. I've asked many sellers if they'd be willing to sell the item for my offer price after being listed three times without a sale, most have agreed. Most sellers want to move the cards rather than keep listing over and over hoping one day a buyer will come along and give them the full asking price. After a while, it becomes non economical for the same card to keep being relisted with no interest from buyers. As a seller of an item, yes, you have the item, but if the cash is what you desire more, then you better at least be willing to entertain offers. If a buyer comes back with a snide remark, cut your time investment with the buyer and dont get into an email squabble with them.

I had a Jeter card on ebay last month, I wanted $4.00 for it with free shipping. The buyer offered me a $1.00 and still wanted the free shipping. I told him I was basically selling the card for $1 but the other $3 was for the bubble mailer and postage. He emailed back with all kinds of nasty narratives, I didnt respond. A day later, the same buyer bought it for the $4.00. See, it didnt hurt for him to ask, but it depends on how bad he wanted/needed the card. I didnt get into an email flame war, the card was sold, guess he's happy, he left positive feedback.

Fordman

Again, I think my point is being misconstrued hear. There is no harm or problem with offering a low price. I don't have a problem with it and do not get offended by a simple "offer". No matter how low it is. What I mean by NO Tact or as Brewer Andy so eloquently put it "lack of tact", is unsolicited abrasive, snide and rude comments, coming directly from a buyer in order to try and tell me how it is. You can either be polite and get one response, or be a d**k and get another. That is my point. [h=1][/h]

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I could rant about the lack of tact in every day dealings with a lot of people much less ebay buyers, particularly online interactions though. Modern business I suppose. Block the buyer and lower your price and stick it to him

It isnt really even about sticking it to him/her, although I have thought about this idea... It is just more that I am tired of the lack of manners these days. Amazing really.

BamKat

Jan 23, 2015
You are missing the point here I think. I am not upest in the slightest when someone offers me a lower price. Of course not. That is not what I am saying. By all means, offering a lower price is part of it and when I offer BIN or best offer I expect a lower offer. My issue is in the first contact they are TELLING me in a condescending and overly arrogant way what they think of the price. That is what is irritating. My point is there is a right way to approach it and wrong way.
Noted. Thank you. I should have read and not skimmed.

As a seller I had someone give me neutral feedback because of shipping charges and time. This is what really gets me going! I printed the label the night he paid and dropped it off at post office the NEXT day. I paid more for shipping than he paid.... I dont sell 1000 items a month only about 50 on a good month. With the 2 neutral feedbacks he left it really hurt my 20% discount.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Noted. Thank you. I should have read and not skimmed.

As a seller I had someone give me neutral feedback because of shipping charges and time. This is what really gets me going! I printed the label the night he paid and dropped it off at post office the NEXT day. I paid more for shipping than he paid.... I dont sell 1000 items a month only about 50 on a good month. With the 2 neutral feedbacks he left it really hurt my 20% discount.

As long as there is open lines of communication with the buyer this should never happen. Totally irritating. I may add that your shipping charges are right there and are in plain view before the buyer actually purchases the item. As for time, a seller has no control when the PO delivers something once it is dropped off. I have noticed some of my items dont even show up a "picked up" until 1 to 2 days after I drop it off. Losing that 20% would suck!!

jmeeks1331

Mar 3, 2014
So, honest question here: if you had an item listed with a high BIN with OBO, do you get offended if someone makes an offer and, in the comments, notes that the last few cards have sold for a significant amount less? I've done that...I want to make a fair offer, but the last thing I want to do is offend the seller, so I explain the reasoning for my offer. However, if that is still a problem for sellers, I would like to know so I don't offend.

That being said, I've been on the selling end and had someone tell me I was too high. Example: last year, I pulled a Breakout Moments auto/relic of Tony Gwynn numbered 3 of 5. I listed it for $200 OBO. A user messaged me to tell me I had it over-priced because he just bought the James Shields card for $20 and, according to him, Shields was much bigger currently in the market than Gwynn. Hilariously, I received an offer of $180 while I was reading his message. Took the offer, grabbed a screenshot and sent it to him saying, "You're right. I was overpriced by $20." Kind of a dick move, but I thought it was pretty funny.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Is telling someone that their same item sold for less really going to change their mind most of the time though? Probably not. If someone was truly lacking knowledge on pricing for something, then they might recognize a pricing error and adjust via this method, but most people want the price they feel in their head is what "it is worth". It's funny though, people get butt hurt about the funniest things sometimes.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
That being said, I've been on the selling end and had someone tell me I was too high. Example: last year, I pulled a Breakout Moments auto/relic of Tony Gwynn numbered 3 of 5. I listed it for $200 OBO. A user messaged me to tell me I had it over-priced because he just bought the James Shields card for $20 and, according to him, Shields was much bigger currently in the market than Gwynn. Hilariously, I received an offer of $180 while I was reading his message. Took the offer, grabbed a screenshot and sent it to him saying, "You're right. I was overpriced by $20." Kind of a dick move, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Great stuff man! :cool:

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

EAT EM UP, KATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 30, 2010

You are speaking my language 100%. This is not about having a card for a particular price and the buyer wants it for lower. It is all about the buyer telling a seller what he should or should not sell his card for according to what the buyer wants and justifying it in any number of ways( the last one sold for, it's not worth anything, you need to make a profit, you're a collector not a reseller,you are the only collector of certain player, you know better than me what the card goes for, etc) The ultimate objective of the seller is to get as close to his asking price and the buyer wants to get the item for as little as possible as well. You don't care what I paid for a card, how much profit I deem worthy for me etc, and I don't care about your reasonings for getting the card for as little as possible. All I want is what I want for my item and I hope that things are a win/win for both of us. When you start TELLING ME then the loss of respect happens. I will also block you as well as when you make what I deem unreasonable offers. If I have something offered for 50.00, do you really think I will take 5.00 for it? And

mrdallas, you seem like my kind of buyer and seller who wants a positive experience from both sides and deal on fairness. If some people get upset, so be it. They will be blocked and never have to be dealt with again. Plus, I know if I block someone, it is for a good reason and if they contact me to buy something else I have then I will make an easy decision to not deal with them.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
In all honesty, I price my stuff that I really am not sure I want to move way high, I know it, and I do it intentionally. eBay gives me xxxx amount of free listings, it doesnt cost me to list and so I throw it out there. I figure why not let it roll and see if anyone offers a number that would make me want to move it. AND on that note, there are times when people have paid high prices because they really want a card. (Think Griffeyfan24 here. I have seen him get some INSANE prices on his stuff). Heck I have done it as a buyer and paid over market.

With that being said, I have a few buyers on eBay that have mentioned that they are player collectors and would I be willing to move on price? They even added that the last few cards have sold for signifigantly less. I have no problem with this approach, It is done in a "tactful" manner ;). I will give a response on the lines that I am in no rush to move at this time, but if it changes I will reach back out to you. Which I have done on more than one instance. I guess the whole point of this thread was me venting and wishing some people had a better "approach". It seems that lately I get more nasty buyers than good ones.

Members online

Latest posts