Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PROMOS/SAMPLES/PREVIEWS/PROTOTYPES/PRE-PRODUCTIONS/TESTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
The only Dufex Proof samples cards (blank back) from that set are Cal Ripken, Dave Fleming and Paul Molitor. The other blank back Dufex Proof cards are cards from the Select Rookies, Select Stars and the Select Triple Crown sets.

Are the blank-back 1993 Select cards samples? I have a blank-back Tim Wakefield Rookies insert, figured it was just a printing error.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
If anyone has any canseco please lemme know!

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
I know there is a 1996 Leaf Limited Lumberjacks sample card but did they make a black bordered version? I have not seen one myself.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Image7_zps12c3b433.jpg

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
The only Dufex Proof samples cards (blank back) from that set are Cal Ripken, Dave Fleming and Paul Molitor. The other blank back Dufex Proof cards are cards from the Select Rookies, Select Stars and the Select Triple Crown sets.

Are you saying there is a Dufex proof version of the regular 1993 Select card for Cal Ripken? If so you have a reference/link/image for that?

Thanks!

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Are you saying there is a Dufex proof version of the regular 1993 Select card for Cal Ripken? If so you have a reference/link/image for that?

Thanks!

The base Select cards are not included in the Dufex Proof versions.

In the SCD .. Sports Collectors Digest under 1993 Select Dufex Proofs it states "To test the Dufex textured foil printing technology which was used on its Stars, Rookies and Triple Crown insert sets, Select produced a limited number of blank - back proof cards". Also, under the 24 card Stars listing, the Ripken, Smoltz and Molitor cards have the notation (Blank - back sample card).

Correction. The Select Dufex Proof Sample cards are Ripken, Fleming (not Maddux) and Molitor. :)

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Picked this "pack" up today in a quarter box.

Not marked as samples, nor "000" in stats.

Will post when I can compare cards inside to commons, maybe un marked promos.

Attachments

• 1426359600928.jpg
    1426359600928.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 45

HawkeyeFan

Jan 13, 2012
Iowa
I saw a listing on ebay claiming that there was a "rare" promo variation of the 1996 SP #170 Ken Griffey Jr., so I decided to go through some dupes and discovered that I actually have this variation. Don't recall where or when I aquired it. Notice the different cropping of the little portrait boxes on the bottom right corners. Is the card on the right indeed a promo? Is Griffey the only player with a promo like this?
attachment.php

bisioml

Nov 13, 2013
I saw a listing on ebay claiming that there was a "rare" promo variation of the 1996 SP #170 Ken Griffey Jr., so I decided to go through some dupes and discovered that I actually have this variation. Don't recall where or when I aquired it. Notice the different cropping of the little portrait boxes on the bottom right corners. Is the card on the right indeed a promo? Is Griffey the only player with a promo like this?
attachment.php

Hello and good morning!

This card was only available via the dealer promotional foldout sheet that was given to hobby shops and other dealers to preview the new 1996 SP set. It came with this variation Junior card and a corner-clipped promo of Junior's '96 SP Marquee Match-Up Red DieCut card that was to be paired with Hideo Nomo. These cards were 'glued' to the inside of this foldout.

To my knowledge, Griffey Jr is the only card like this. Hope that helps! Have a great day!

Marco

I'll always be a 'Kid'...like THE 'KID'!

Members online

Latest posts