Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Diamond Kings Challenge 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
They are all fake.
-Sincerly, someone who didn't get his guy. :)

I actually don't know what to think about these. I think it is a cool story but does bother me there is absolutely nothing to be found on these - not even worth point. The seller mentioned the set was purchased in 2006 from ebay. While there are others to be found on worthpoint from 2006, this set doesn't seem to appear. One would think Donruss would have made a huge deal about this promotion ... getting a complete set of 1/1s ... that is gonna be at the top of all my marketing material in 2005!

If someone was REALLY skeptical about this, they would get their hands on a pic of the top of the box from the multiple listings, and see if the wood grain matches anything in worthpoint. (All worthpoints show the top of the boxes, not the sides, and the pic from the listings do not show the top but rather the sides, lol.

I could go either way on these, personally, but it would bother me not being able to find out anything about them, especially since it probably would have been a yuuuge deal.

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
If someone built the set, was the first to redeem and did in fact get a stamped set back and has kept it all these years or even if the set changed hands, but was never broken up, it is easy to see how nobody knew about it, but the thing I keep thinking about is why it seems to be a complete mystery to everyone all the same.
There are many holes in the Donruss saga and this set-break is no different. Is there a record of when this complete set sold on eBay for $5,000+ besides Worthpoint?

Last edited:

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I think they're legit. I just can't imagine someone stamping that many cards by hand. I'll have mine today and will compare the stamping to my other 1/1's from this set.

Also I got the Mariano Rivera for $31.

Scott F

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Got my Biggio today. The stamping is bad. Maybe it's just this one, but it's tilted for crying out loud, extra and missing foil in some spots. I won't send it back regardless, but if we were voting I would now say fake. I'd need strong proof otherwise.
46a8e7d09674ec236fe756adac3107c0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Yikes! Hopefully some other folks will post theirs up ... perhaps this was just an isolated mess up by Donruss.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Got my Biggio today. The stamping is bad. Maybe it's just this one, but it's tilted for crying out loud, extra and missing foil in some spots. I won't send it back regardless, but if we were voting I would now say fake. I'd need strong proof otherwise.
46a8e7d09674ec236fe756adac3107c0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Here is one. Signature Framed Red Platinum B/W The stamp on this is also tilted and off center. The ones look to match the card you got in. Looks legit to me.

juan_picture.php

juan_picture.php

here is another Materials Platinum B/W

juan_picture.php

juan_picture.php

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I can imagine the Donruss employee developing carpel tunnel syndrome after using the Challenge crimping tool and 1/1 stamp on all 400 cards and sending back to the collector.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
David Wright challenge 1/1 arrived yesterday. Stamping is in gold and, like the Biggio, a bit sloppy.
Wright Challenge 1.jpg
Wright Challenge 2.jpg
That said, I have two other 1/1 cards, and while they are a bit more crisp, they certainly are not centered nor are they exactly horizontal. They are stamped with silver foil though. Maybe that is specific to the autos?
Wright 1.jpg
Wright 2.jpg
Hope that is helpful!

Regards,
Mark

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I have 6 other pack pulled 1/1's of Mariano Rivera from the set. First scan is the Challenge 1/1, the next 2 are non relic framed cards, the other 3 have relics. I also have the 1/1 auto but didn't scan it.

Mine is the same as the others. Gold foil instead of silver. Also it's a little thicker and rougher. I'm honestly not sure either way on these. For the price I paid I'll keep it.

Scan0003.jpg
Scan0001.jpg
Scan0002.jpg
Scan0004.jpg
Scan0005.jpg
Scan0006.jpg

Scott F

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
My stamping is the same as the others posted. Rough gold. In comparing it to the other 2005 Donruss stamped cards I have it looks to not match up. However, if you compare it to a Recollection collection, it looks a lot closer. Something still seems off......

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'd also assume that if Donruss did stamp these the challenge set would have been stamped at a different time than the pack issued cards.

Scott F

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Here's 2 pack-issued 1/1s, and the Challenge one (foreground). The Challenge one is coppery gold compared to silver, and the font seems very slightly thicker. This makes some sense since it was probably done at a different time than the full pack run, and maybe on different machinery. The front "Challenge" embossment looks the same as a regular Challenge, but I couldn't get a good picture.
sizemore-challenge-1-1-crop.png

Does anyone have an old magazine or something where they might have mentioned this?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I took a $2.63 flyer on the Shawn Green (Dodgers version). If it's not legit, I'm not out less that $6 overall. I'll scan it when it arrives - should be on Saturday.