Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I give up on A&G

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Sorry if my typing is bad. I cant see a thing. But I am a pack cracker. Not so much as I was but I still get the urge. being there isn't much out there I got some A&G. Last year I pulled this:
LEAVY, LAURENCE.jpg
Now I just pulled this ( juggling guy? really)
KAPRAL, MICHAL.jpg
I give up on A&G

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Sorry if my typing is bad. I cant see a thing. But I am a pack cracker. Not so much as I was but I still get the urge. being there isn't much out there I got some A&G. Last year I pulled this:
View attachment 71558
View attachment 71559
I give up on A&G

34a7adda5e41cb6011998d09c318242a.jpg

I pulled this a few years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A similar thread was going on BO, like the one here with the Sooz auto, but it was going off the rails. To each their own, but I am with you. Unless it is an oddball autograph that would personally appeal to me, they have no place in a specific sport product. If it can contain anything, like Ginter, then I suppose it is fair game and better to pull an autograph than nothing at all.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Marlins Man is an interesting case. He has become somewhat of a celebrity fan for attending high profile games and being spotted by the cameras. Now people are looking for him to show up.

I would probably consider adding one for the novelty, but wouldn't spend more than $10-15 for one, if that. Have no clue if that is a laughable amount for that card, but wouldn't care if I got one or not.

I think Marvin Miller was the first non-field person that I wanted to add to my collection, right around the time he was being considered for the HOF. Since then, I have added select announcers, umpires, GMs, etc. I would need to draw the line somewhere and card company employee is probably right there (although I wish now I had grabbed a certified Berger card before he died, he is the one exception I would make for sure).

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
isn't he a Florida lawyer or something similar? guy has cash and pretty much does what he wants.
sorry about the bum luck OP it's unique but most don't want to pull those oddball personalities autos it seems.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He owns a law firm in Miami and has done very well financially. He can afford those seats w/o a problem. The guy is just enjoying his money and passion for sports and has gotten a bad rap in the meantime that sounds undeserved.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
View attachment 71558
View attachment 71559
I give up on A&G

To each their own. That said, I would be pissed to drop money for what likely amounts to a carny...no offense to anyone in that niche of the entertainment industry.

In all seriousness A&G has been doing all sorts of weird stuff, some of which is pretty cool.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I enjoy the opportunity for oddball stuff that crosses into my interests on the secondary market.

I just picked up a Star Trek auto card of Clyde Kusatsu, not for the show itself which I am not a fan, but because the guy was a semi regularly featured side character on Magnum PI in the 80s. I have been halfheartedly trying to get the most frequently featured actors signatures. I think Elisha Cook Jr (Toothpick), Jeff MacKay (Mac) and even more so, Gillian Dobb (Agatha) will be white whales though.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've opened a couple of boxes of A&G over the years. My issue (beyond just the autographs) is that I have no idea what I have. I can never figure out if anything is a rare unnumbered parallel or some special SP. I don't understand the inserts etc.

I know that for those who get it, it can be really interesting and fun, but as someone who is reasonably intelligent and has collected for decades, I kind of feel like if I don't get it, there has to be a ton of other people who don't either; and maybe that's not good for the brand.

Jul 22, 2016
I've opened a couple of boxes of A&G over the years. My issue (beyond just the autographs) is that I have no idea what I have. I can never figure out if anything is a rare unnumbered parallel or some special SP. I don't understand the inserts etc.

I know that for those who get it, it can be really interesting and fun, but as someone who is reasonably intelligent and has collected for decades, I kind of feel like if I don't get it, there has to be a ton of other people who don't either; and maybe that's not good for the brand.
I think that's the allure of products today. Going back and seeing if you have anything. It's not that hard to check various sites to see all the different variations. I can spend hours going through old cards to make sure I didn't miss a hidden gem. Thank God for baseballcardpedia and cardboard connection.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'd have no problem with these autos if they didn't count as "hits." The GF bought a box of Archives this year and got the regulation 2 autos, I think, someone like Ray Knight, and also one of some Yankee fan, Bald Tony or Fat Frank or Drunk Pookie or something. She was incensed, as not only does she hate they Yankees she, as a collector, could not care less that this nobody was what she paid her money for, and was real close to Tweeting at topps to see if she could exchange it for a real player, even the scrubbiest scrub. That's been a sucky part of her hobby education.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
I'd have no problem with these autos if they didn't count as "hits." The GF bought a box of Archives this year and got the regulation 2 autos, I think, someone like Ray Knight, and also one of some Yankee fan, Bald Tony or Fat Frank or Drunk Pookie or something. She was incensed, as not only does she hate they Yankees she, as a collector, could not care less that this nobody was what she paid her money for, and was real close to Tweeting at topps to see if she could exchange it for a real player, even the scrubbiest scrub. That's been a sucky part of her hobby education.

Ill trade her an auto for fat bald drunk vinnie.

Members online