Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Quick Rant !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
I have a friend, as most of you know trying to sell some items on ebay for my charity.... What really pisses me off, is people on ebay, and their bullXXXX opinions... Just becasue they think it is not real , they have to complain to ebay, that it should be pulled from auction. Well if your such an expert go work for PSA/DNA. Just really pisses me off , that we are trying to sell them, and raise money for a charity, and people have nothing better to do than complain about things they have no idea about. You dont think it is real then do not bid, but why do you have to keep playing these friggin games with our auctions. ( not saying anyone here is responsible) Get a life.... UNFU#&#*#REAL....
FYI.....
For those of you saying get them authenticated, as a charity we cannot afford the roughly $1000 to do this.. Which in the end I guess hurts us, but we are willing to stand behind them, and if someone buys them, and they come back fake, we would refund purchase price... I am sure I will get some backlash from this post, but oh well.. Just the way I feel...

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
Sorry, but I do not agree with you. Wether you are a charity or not, you have a responsibility to know if an item is real or not before your sell it on ebay. Most of the items that get removed from ebay are of questionable authenticity. There is a team of authenticators/ very knowledgeable collectors who work with ebay to get bad stuff off ebay and that is what is probably happening with the items you are selling.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I wish you well with your charity work, but selling unauthenticated autographs of some of baseball's most heavily forged figures is just asking for trouble.

I think if you look at what Ted Williams authenticated autograph sells for versus what an unauthenticated one sells for, you would see that it might be wise to follow Jeff's advice and have a couple authenticated and then use the funds from subsequent auctions to pay for more authentications.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
@ Sportsnuts, If I am willing to stand behind the autographs, and someone buys them, they come back not authentic, I would refund money... Keep in mind it is an opinion. Just that an opinion. Also without it being in front of someone how can you be 100% sure it is not authentic....????? Enough said with that...
@ Bob, that is what I am trying to do.. BUt again being a charity , that is alot of money to us, that we do not have. :(

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There is a team of authenticators/ very knowledgeable collectors who work with ebay to get bad stuff off ebay and that is what is probably happening with the items you are selling.

Really? If so, they sure miss a whole hell of a lot.

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
@ Sportsnuts, If I am willing to stand behind the autographs, and someone buys them, they come back not authentic, I would refund money... Keep in mind it is an opinion. Just that an opinion. Also without it being in front of someone how can you be 100% sure it is not authentic....????? Enough said with that...
@ Bob, that is what I am trying to do.. BUt again being a charity , that is alot of money to us, that we do not have. :(

That is the same logic the sellers of fake autographs have used for years and it works well for them.... They Just refund the people who catch on to it being fake while making money one the ones who don't know what they are buying or who never get something checked. If your autographs are being removed, im sure it is for a good reason. Do you have pictures of the items you are selling so the members of this board can also give their opinion? There are many here who are very good at spotting fakes.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Post a link to the auctions. Depending on who you have it may not even be worth it financially to send it off to be authenticated.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Not sure what's in the description but try stating your pretty sure they are authentic but not 100% sure. State that your selling as is and if they come back as fake you will refund 100% of the $$$. Shouldn't get pulled with that description.

No different from people listing fake jordan rookies & saying they think its real but have to list as a reprint & it still sells for $300

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I am the person who volunteered to help Paul with the sales. Perhaps I was too naive, but have no reason to believe they are fakes and every item has a certification from a business entity. That said, all are old and many of these stores are out of business. I was concerned about this and did a search on each store/business and found nothing about any of them being known for selling fake autographs.

Every item is on the board in transactions forum - http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...x-autograph-photos-legends-hofers-recent.html

All the certs are in my photobucket account and pictures are posted with the ebay listings.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
Thanks for posting the link Bill....
Sportsnuts, what makes you say they are fakes? I am curious to see what your basing your opinion on...

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
No wonder why people keep complaining about your auctions lol
These are the four I quickly found. Anyone who seriously collects autographs knows about these and the origins.

Mantle/DiMaggio - common forgery, originates from S. Fl
Williams/DiMaggio - same as above
Ted Williams B&W- same as above
Ted Williams Head Shot - same as above

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
No wonder why people keep complaining about your auctions lol
These are the four I quickly found. Anyone who seriously collects autographs knows about these and the origins.

Mantle/DiMaggio - common forgery, originates from S. Fl
Williams/DiMaggio - same as above
Ted Williams B&W- same as above
Ted Williams Head Shot - same as above

Could you send me some info about this? Links? Anything? I searched and found nothing. PM is fine, or post in the thread - don't matter to me. Also, do you know anything about the Raymond W. Hines ones (two framed Williams photos)? These all came from one large collection of redsox autos.

Last edited:

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
csmtampa, instead of laughing at the situation, why dont you be useful, and share some info on these?

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
Could you send me some info about this? Links? Anything? I searched and found nothing. PM is fine, or post in the thread - don't matter to me. Also, do you know anything about the Roy Harris ones (two framed Williams photos)? These all came from one large collection of redsox autos.

One of the best resources to learn about autographs is Autograph Magazine Live! - The Authentic Experience. There is a very long thread about authenticating the big three (Mantle, Williams, Dimaggio) that contains tons of exemplars of bad autographs and info on why they are bad. A lot of the info comes from dealers and collectors who are willing to help others and give unbiased opinions.

Last edited:

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
csmtampa, instead of laughing at the situation, why dont you be useful, and share some info on these?

Of course I'm laughing about it. You're the one who comes here with a rant complaining about people questioning some of the items you're selling, when you yourself have no clue about the items you are selling.

I'll send Bill a PM when I get a chance today.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
It looks like it to me that the first photo you have for sale is ok this one is on eBay right now and has been authenticated by James Spence himself
Mickey Mantle Duke Snyder Autographed 8x10 B w Photo Full JSA LOA | eBay
$(KGrHqRHJEkFDIGCBiVHBQ30mQr4bw~~60_57.JPG

And this is yours that got pulled. I'm no expert but the Mantles look really similar to me.
williamsmantle.jpeg

Ebay seller Uncle-Chang with authenticated from Spence
$%28KGrHqZHJEkFDHvis5+1BQ30mmNC%28!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Members online